Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powerful Dedicated Server in EU where I can send my own HDDs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Powerful Dedicated Server in EU where I can send my own HDDs

Hi, Im looking for powerful dedicated server where I can ship my own HDDs and SSD (its the most important). I don't have strict requirements when it comes to how powerful it should be but I dont wan't to spend more than 50-70 EUR per month.
I live in EU so I would like to ship these HDDs and one SSD within EU as well.
I plan to ship 10x12 TB drives first but possible to add more in the future.
Please let me know whom can I reach within EU who can accept my own HDDs and one SSD drive.

Comments

• @bartek70 said:
    Hi, Im looking for powerful dedicated server where I can ship my own HDDs and SSD (its the most important). I don't have strict requirements when it comes to how powerful it should be but I dont wan't to spend more than 50-70 EUR per month.
    I live in EU so I would like to ship these HDDs and one SSD within EU as well.
    I plan to ship 10x12 TB drives first but possible to add more in the future.
    Please let me know whom can I reach within EU who can accept my own HDDs and one SSD drive.

you need colocation.

• RHCHostingRHCHosting Member, Host Rep

We're in the UK and will be able to help, but you may have to work a little more on your budget. See available colocation options or view dedicated servers plans.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

We can so it in Sofia, however not within your budget.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2021

@bartek70 said:
    ... 50-70 EUR per month.
    10x12 TB drives first but possible to add more in the future.

Problems:

• Most providers largely use (usually HP or SuperMicro) 1 or 2 HU servers
    • Most providers largely use servers with 2.5" drive cages.
    • Virtually all 2 HU servers with 3.5" cages have room for 12 drives - and no more.
    • Only few servers with additional (typ. 2) 2.5" cages (for the SSDs)

So what you are looking for is far outside of mainstream, which translates to 'considerably more expensive' and almost certainly not available at the Low End. And that's for 12 x 3.5"; adding even more drives puts you into the exotic area (really expensive).

Based on the experience of and information from a friend and colleague of mine who is with AlphaVPS / @AlexBarakov since some years, AV seems to be one of the few (and good) providers with quite some flexibility, good (but not bottom low) prices, a decent DC, decent connectivity, a properly working ILO/IPMI, and excellent support who can offer anything incl. decent (also in terms of price) colo.

Based on your financial situation I'd suggest

• if buying a server is an option - buy (maybe 2nd hand) a 2 HU server with 12 x 3.5" cages (and trays!) + 2 x 2.5" rear (or inside) cages and do colo. You might just tightly get by with €70/mo
    • if buying is not an option - contact AlphaVPS and try to negotiate a decent solution. Maybe you are lucky and they even can and are willing to connect a DAS with 12 more drive cages if needed. But be prepared to pay something in the €100 range (or more with 24 drives)...
  • darbdarb Member

Based on your financial situation I'd suggest

• if buying a server is an option - buy (maybe 2nd hand) a 2 HU server with 12 x 3.5" cages (and trays!) + 2 x 2.5" rear (or inside) cages and do colo. You might just tightly get by with €70/mo
    • if buying is not an option - contact AlphaVPS and try to negotiate a decent solution. Maybe you are lucky and they even can and are willing to connect a DAS with 12 more drive cages if needed. But be prepared to pay something in the €100 range (or more with 24 drives)...

Or just forego using your drives, get a suitable VPS/server and upload the data from a local computer, assuming that it is the data that you are trying to preserve.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

It will be really hard to find where you can ship your drives.
    We have one client, he sent us 24 x HDD drives a few years ago. Paying near to 200 euro/month for server with lower resources than you asking.

50 - 70 euro - not possible. As others said, server colocation may be the best option for you.

• afnafn Member
    edited April 2021

As you have been told, the only thing you can do with this budget to get this much storage is sending the entire server for colocation and not just the drive. if you're lucky this may only cost you an extra 150-250€ for a used server.

12 drives in one server is a lot! most 1u servers are limited to 4 Drives, and usually 2U servers can do 8-12 Drives. So adding more drives is a bit complicated.
    If you think you will need more space then go for 10x16TB since the beginning instead of the 12TB drives

then Serverius can host your 2U server for 59€ month.

• serverofferserveroffer Member, Patron Provider

We can install your own drives, within you budget. However server's configuration can't be fancy, since need to fit many drives into single chassis.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Time (to mount all drives in caddys) cost money as well