Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ kernel too old for curl - is this commonplace?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

OpenVZ kernel too old for curl - is this commonplace?

I ordered a OpenVZ node from hostsailor and I am unable to install curl due to the host node kernel being "too old, must upgrade". How common is this? I wasn't expecting this old of a kernel.

Linux eu 2.6.32 -042stab138.1

https://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel
says Latest version is 042stab145.3.

Still I don't think OpenVZ has a newer than kernel version 3.2 available on stable?

Comments

  • Were the eye rape ads and the bandwidth issues not enough for you to avoid them? :tongue:

    Thanked by 1lentro
  • dopogiodopogio Member

    @stevewatson301 said:
    Were the eye rape ads and the bandwidth issues not enough for you to avoid them? :tongue:

    I'm not familiar with those issues?

    I just needed a dirt cheap monitoring node somewhere < $10/yr and they had a sale for $6.

  • @dopogio said:

    @stevewatson301 said:
    Were the eye rape ads and the bandwidth issues not enough for you to avoid them? :tongue:

    I'm not familiar with those issues?

    I just needed a dirt cheap monitoring node somewhere < $10/yr and they had a sale for $6.

    It appears that they're still using OpenVZ-6, which is really to be avoided in 2021 if one has the choice. (No wonder why it was so cheap.)

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

  • dopogiodopogio Member

    @angstrom said: It appears that they're still using OpenVZ-6, which is really to be avoided in 2021 if one has the choice. (No wonder why it was so cheap.)

    I agree. I wasn't expecting a 2015 (?) kernel when version 4.0 exist. Waiting to hear back from them if they are willing to migrate me to a node with a different infrastructure (they did say they are moving to "OpenVZ 7" in the next month) but alas I need curl for this to work.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited April 10

    If they upgrade to 7, you get upgraded to 3.x meanwhile 5.x is the new shit.
    May get a KVM or LXC/D instead.

  • jackbjackb Member, Provider
    edited April 10

    @dopogio said:

    @angstrom said: It appears that they're still using OpenVZ-6, which is really to be avoided in 2021 if one has the choice. (No wonder why it was so cheap.)

    I agree. I wasn't expecting a 2015 (?) kernel when version 4.0 exist. Waiting to hear back from them if they are willing to migrate me to a node with a different infrastructure (they did say they are moving to "OpenVZ 7" in the next month) but alas I need curl for this to work.

    That kernel was released in 2019. Bear in mind that the CentOS (and by extension) OpenVZ kernels were based on the older 2.6.32 kernel, with fixes and some features backported -- although it looks like a ~2015 kernel, it's not.

    However, it's end of life - has been for well over a year - so it's very surprising to see a well known host activating new orders on it in 2021. If they're in the process of migrating, why activate new orders on the old systems?

    Thanked by 1dopogio

    Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

  • Daniel15Daniel15 Member
    edited April 11

    @dopogio said: I wasn't expecting a 2015 (?) kernel

    2.6.32 was originally released back in 2009. There's a 2012 look-back post from a kernel dev who used to maintain 2.6.32 here: https://linuxfoundation.org/blog/the-2-6-32-linux-kernel/ 'Enterprise' distros like RHEL backported some critical bugfixes and features from newer kernel versions, but on the whole, it's missing a lot of features that are required by newer software. For example, Debian Buster won't even run on it, as its glibc version requires kernel 3.10 at least.

    If you want to use a 2.6.32 kernel, you're going to have to use an older distro with older software.

    Still I don't think OpenVZ has a newer than kernel version 3.2 available on stable?

    OpenVZ6 (which uses 2.6.32) is no longer supported.

    OpenVZ7 uses a 3.10 kernel, which is still old but not quite as old, and a lot of software still runs fine on it.

    If you want to run modern software, I'd highly recommend a KVM VPS. But failing that, OpenVZ7 is okay too.

  • boycott all openvz. it's not fit to be sell in 2021.

  • dopogiodopogio Member

    @Daniel15 said:

    @dopogio said: I wasn't expecting a 2015 (?) kernel

    2.6.32 was originally released back in 2009. There's a 2012 look-back post from a kernel dev who used to maintain 2.6.32 here: https://linuxfoundation.org/blog/the-2-6-32-linux-kernel/ 'Enterprise' distros like RHEL backported some critical bugfixes and features from newer kernel versions, but on the whole, it's missing a lot of features that are required by newer software. For example, Debian Buster won't even run on it, as its glibc version requires kernel 3.10 at least.

    This article is an interesting read. Thank you.

    I may ditch this OVZ node here's the perf.

    [email protected]:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    
    Sun Apr 11 05:36:55 UTC 2021
    
    Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31240 @ 3.30GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3292.630 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 256.0 MiB
    Swap       : 256.0 MiB
    Disk       : 9.9 GiB
    
    fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 20.42 MB/s    (5.1k) | 42.74 MB/s     (667)
    Write      | 20.44 MB/s    (5.1k) | 42.93 MB/s     (670)
    Total      | 40.86 MB/s   (10.2k) | 85.67 MB/s    (1.3k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 38.67 MB/s      (75) | 46.07 MB/s      (44)
    Write      | 40.89 MB/s      (79) | 49.12 MB/s      (47)
    Total      | 79.57 MB/s     (154) | 95.19 MB/s      (91)
    
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.09 Gbits/sec  | 929 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.15 Gbits/sec  | 934 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | 939 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 518 Mbits/sec   | 253 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 951 Mbits/sec   | 667 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 910 Mbits/sec   | 499 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 707 Mbits/sec   | 356 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 533 Mbits/sec   | 217 Mbits/sec
    
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.16 Gbits/sec  | 925 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.22 Gbits/sec  | 923 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.31 Gbits/sec  | 926 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 806 Mbits/sec   | 550 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 586 Mbits/sec   | 430 Mbits/sec
    
    Geekbench 5 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.
    
    
  • I still don't understand how/why you can't install curl on your node. Just install an older version.

    What am I missing, here? I don't know wtf he is even quoting. If "apt get curl" doesn't work, that's it, hands up in the air? Nobody can install a .deb or build from source and just get past this issue in like 5 minutes?

    The whole thing about linux (years ago) was being able to run these old versions because the source is open and available.

    Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @dopogio said:

    @Daniel15 said:

    @dopogio said: I wasn't expecting a 2015 (?) kernel

    2.6.32 was originally released back in 2009. There's a 2012 look-back post from a kernel dev who used to maintain 2.6.32 here: https://linuxfoundation.org/blog/the-2-6-32-linux-kernel/ 'Enterprise' distros like RHEL backported some critical bugfixes and features from newer kernel versions, but on the whole, it's missing a lot of features that are required by newer software. For example, Debian Buster won't even run on it, as its glibc version requires kernel 3.10 at least.

    This article is an interesting read. Thank you.

    I may ditch this OVZ node here's the perf.

    [email protected]:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    
    Sun Apr 11 05:36:55 UTC 2021
    
    Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31240 @ 3.30GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3292.630 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 256.0 MiB
    Swap       : 256.0 MiB
    Disk       : 9.9 GiB
    
    fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 20.42 MB/s    (5.1k) | 42.74 MB/s     (667)
    Write      | 20.44 MB/s    (5.1k) | 42.93 MB/s     (670)
    Total      | 40.86 MB/s   (10.2k) | 85.67 MB/s    (1.3k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 38.67 MB/s      (75) | 46.07 MB/s      (44)
    Write      | 40.89 MB/s      (79) | 49.12 MB/s      (47)
    Total      | 79.57 MB/s     (154) | 95.19 MB/s      (91)
    
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.09 Gbits/sec  | 929 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.15 Gbits/sec  | 934 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | 939 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 518 Mbits/sec   | 253 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 951 Mbits/sec   | 667 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 910 Mbits/sec   | 499 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 707 Mbits/sec   | 356 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 533 Mbits/sec   | 217 Mbits/sec
    
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.16 Gbits/sec  | 925 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.22 Gbits/sec  | 923 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.31 Gbits/sec  | 926 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 806 Mbits/sec   | 550 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 586 Mbits/sec   | 430 Mbits/sec
    
    Geekbench 5 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.
    
    

    Geekbench5 won't run on less than 512MB RAM. You can skip it in the future to prevent OOM crashes and save the benchmark runtime.

  • djndjn Member

    what os
    I still have a ovz box and with debain7 and can apt-get install curl

Sign In or Register to comment.