Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS increasing prices again, alternatives? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS increasing prices again, alternatives?

1235»

Comments

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@Tejy said: I don't know if I'm the only one, but I really don't understand that someone doesn't create a simple and beautiful panel, including billing, support and product management (with complete actions), like @CConner had planned with GameDash.

Exactly. The primary reason why we decided to integrate support & billing into our platform is that we saw it as an easy opportunity to set ourselves apart from the competition (in addition to having just a plain better management solution overall).

It's so incredibly powerful to have everything integrated into one platform. Not only does the customer not need multiple accounts, but that way you can make great use of the information that you've collected from your customers. A great example of this is, is that we only send our customers requests to review our service if we perceive them to be happy with the service (95%+ server uptime, amount of support tickets and rating left on them, amount of server resets done, etc etc.).

A fully integrated solution should become the industry norm, and we're doing our bit to help speed that along.

• LeviLevi Member

@CConner said: The primary reason why we decided to integrate support & billing into our platform is

... that you want to get a tight grip on your customer :) . Like an amazon "provide anything they need and they will feed from your hand". There is old golden rule "Don't put all eggs in one basket". This is very valid for software.

Thanked by 1CConner
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@LTniger said:

@CConner said: The primary reason why we decided to integrate support & billing into our platform is

... that you want to get a tight grip on your customer :) . Like an amazon "provide anything they need and they will feed from your hand". There is old golden rule "Don't put all eggs in one basket". This is very valid for software.

Great point, and that is also part of my reply although maybe a bit obscured.

Though not entirely related, but a great advantage that comes with building it yourself is that you're in a unique position to quickly adapt to the needs of your customers. Something you are unable or at least less able to do if you're using proprietary software.

This doesn't mean it's relevant for every business. It depends on your core business and what kind of resources you have in order to accomplish that, and most important of all, does being able to adapt quickly mean something for your bottom line at the end of the day, or are you better off spending your time and resources on something else?

• And they used this shamelesshosts.com to criticize their nulled users.

• edited April 2021

@LTniger said:
    Competitors will increase their prices as well. Start coding your own solution if your business plan is long term.

Alternatives (5+ years in industry, proven track, adopted by market, used by customers):

Insanely shady || low grade products:

Ultra high end solutions a.k.a "you can dream for it":

Good list @LTniger, please add to your list:

https://www.AWBS.com/ - have a lifetime license going on 10 years & it's still honored. Used to be called DRAMS. Their 20% Refuge discount if you're moving from different system makes their lifetime owned $135.20 with yearly support plans available following 1st year.

And new entrant:
    BillingServ.com from @Jord
    Starting from 12 Euros/month, 14 day free trial, no Lifetime License that I can see.

• @Boogeyman said:
    Working on this for sometime(I know it looks shit)

https://imgur.com/a/2PwoTew

@Boogeyman, where can we access your billing software live?

Your timing is right if you can release something in beta soon & improve it as you go. Look at what BillingFox just released and take courage.

• @Offshore_Solutions said: @Boogeyman, where can we access your billing software live?

Your timing is right if you can release something in beta soon & improve it as you go. Look at what BillingFox just released and take courage.

As I am working on billing and control panel at the same time this might take some time. Also no one wants to pay for an unstable product nor do they want to use it at the same time. And things like if I will share it as FOSS or make it proprietary or some kind of other strategy ( Free with bounty for bug fixes and new features). Will I face any backlash after initial release? For a project to grow you need users providing feedback. Mostly I don't know if the project will succeed or fail. I fear to try things out because I will have to dedicate most of my time for these project and if these fail I am doomed as hell and things are not going well with me for long time.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • edited April 2021

Billing is a tough one to crack trying to offer a generic solution. It's relatively easy to offer 90% of what people want. It's that last 10%, that covers all the different requirements individual customers can't live without, which is the hard part.

• Yeah I will just quote myself 2 years ago. This is why we need FOSS billing

• https://www.wisecp.com/ this one actually looks sick

• thecreator_thecreator_ Member
    edited April 2021

Blesta's domain registration module is old and not working well. Insufficient modules. But support is very good.

Couldn't try clientexec. The demo looks very old.

I think the best option is hostbill. This is also a bit expensive. Also, the support is bad and expensive.

I no longer trust any of them. You should always have a plan B.

• @deank said:
    Funny thing about rent -

On renewal, there is usually 5% increase due to inflation, on my renewal, my landlord was so happy that I was still paying (this was when Covid lockdown had just began. ) that he opted to freeze the rent for the next 5 years.

But then a few months later, Canadian government stepped in to freeze all rent.

5% rent increases in Ontario? In BC, it's never more than 3% and needs to be approved each year.

• @lonea said:
    @PulsedMedia all streaming media platform, your local public transportation, hospitality & food industry... literally EVERYTHING.

(In Canada) Cell phone plans are typically grandfathered and you keep it until you change it. Providers try and get you to change to a more expensive plan by adding features to new plans and not to the old grandfathered ones. For example, when 3G just rolling out and people barely used data, they'd give unlimited or really high data caps since it was marketing and nobody would use it. Now, years later when 10GB will actually get used, these plans are still $25/mo when 2GB data plans are like $40/mo. But the old plans will be capped at 3G speeds or throttled after some limit.

In general, I think the expectation for there to be grandfathering is mostly when something is sold as a "plan".

My bank account with BMO was "grandfathered" for years at a certain price. New features would get added (or removed) to new plans at higher costs. If I ever wanted a change, I could never go back to my original plan. Eventually, BMO removed Air Miles from my accounts (while keeping the same name and price at the same time as going to digital statements that didn't show Air Miles points so I didn't notice for 14 months), so I had to drop BMO for being scummy after discovering this. They'll never, ever get my business back. (They also got hacked and gave up my data, so double fuck them).

I just want the truth, when a company says I'll keep a price so long as I keep the service, that is a marketing feature and they're giving me a special price to keep me a loyal customer. But if I know ahead of time that its a regular subscription that is subject to price increases, I don't have any loyalty or requirement to stay with them. I can make my own decisions on pricing when I know whether a price is the same for as long as I keep service and 9/10 I'm going to stick with the grandfathered pricing option.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

Not really.

Rogers/Fido/Bell/Virgin all have their typical yearly $5/month increase regardless if you are in a contract or not.

People are that using Mobilicity's "grandfathered" plan all got axed recently.

The only company that does grandfather is Telus/Koodo/PM. Then they tried to take away Canada wide calling.

@TimboJones said: (In Canada) Cell phone plans are typically grandfathered and you keep it until you change it. Providers try and get you to change to a more expensive plan by adding features to new plans and not to the old grandfathered ones. For example, when 3G just rolling out and people barely used data, they'd give unlimited or really high data caps since it was marketing and nobody would use it. Now, years later when 10GB will actually get used, these plans are still $25/mo when 2GB data plans are like $40/mo. But the old plans will be capped at 3G speeds or throttled after some limit.

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2021

@lonea said:
    Not really.

Rogers/Fido/Bell/Virgin all have their typical yearly $5/month increase regardless if you are in a contract or not.

People are that using Mobilicity's "grandfathered" plan all got axed recently.

The only company that does grandfather is Telus/Koodo/PM. Then they tried to take away Canada wide calling.

@TimboJones said: (In Canada) Cell phone plans are typically grandfathered and you keep it until you change it. Providers try and get you to change to a more expensive plan by adding features to new plans and not to the old grandfathered ones. For example, when 3G just rolling out and people barely used data, they'd give unlimited or really high data caps since it was marketing and nobody would use it. Now, years later when 10GB will actually get used, these plans are still $25/mo when 2GB data plans are like $40/mo. But the old plans will be capped at 3G speeds or throttled after some limit.

Ah, I am on Koodo, so that explains my view. But I can say that the $25 unlimited plans I was talking about was specifically Fido and are still around. Plans get sold on Kajiji. These plans existed before Canada had a big rewrite on contracts and shit like that. /shrug

My brother was also on a Roger's family plan that was grandfathered as of like 6 months ago before they ported out to cheaper solutions.

Mobilicity? I was like "do they still exist?" Well no, they don't. I don't expect grandfathered packages actually transferring when the company goes tits up and gets bought out (one can argue the "plan" no longer exists). That was a move to retain customers. And it lasted for 5+ years?

As for taking away Canada wide calling, you're misinformed. That was specifically a feature grandfathered and it would have only applied to NEW plans, not to existing plans. It's an example of grandfathering...

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

No, I'm not misinformed.

I'm just pointing that out that all companies are trying to milk you.

There's also this if you don't think Telus will take away your grandfathering.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/internet-service-updates

@TimboJones said: As for taking away Canada wide calling, you're misinformed. That was specifically a feature grandfathered and it would have only applied to NEW plans, not to existing plans. It's an example of grandfathering...

• Wow. How did we come to discuss Canada cell phone providers :o

Thanked by 2Adam1 AlwaysSkint
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

HostBill is looking like the better option for us as we’re more MSP now... just not sure if it’s worth diving in, or spend the money on some custom modules for Blesta or clientexec.

• FritzFritz Veteran

@Internoc24 said:
    WHMCS has thousands of customers; Maybe it's time we all together AND coordinated to share our opinion on the price increase and the other bad news via ticket. When tens of thousands of tickets flood the system, this should not go unheard!

You are late when you are going to do that just now.

• @desfire said:
    https://www.wisecp.com/ this one actually looks sick

Yea, it looks nice and is fast. Bad thing is that I need some custom module, mobilpay, netim,rotld....

• Adam1Adam1 Member

@Alex_Clientexec said: We have no plans to increase our pricing, just saying

why not?

• Surprise surprise, who is sending takedown notices on behalf of WHMCS?

https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2021/04/2021-04-08-cpanel.md

• @alexvolk said: Surprise surprise, who is sending takedown notices on behalf of WHMCS?

Another pricing increase because they had to pour a significant portion of their resources to hunt down people who decode WHMCS.

In other news, MariaDB 10.4 will not be coming to cPanel.