Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS increasing prices again, alternatives? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS increasing prices again, alternatives?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@lonea said: Small potatoes companies bring the loudest noise but the least income.

Well, that's the truth. Welcome to LET.

Thanked by 3Ticaga jar bulbasaur
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Low end mentality.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@WSCallum said: I'd be surprised if large size companies continue with WHMCS long term after the price increase but time will tell.

Trust lost with this kind of price hike. What's to say they don't do 2 to 10x annually from now on once they realize 1cent per client per month is actually quite small marginal cost, if all clients are paying clients

@lonea said: I won't be surprised if they completely exit out of the small potatoes market and just go full enterprise in the next few years.

Translation; Another 10x on pricing. Potentially annually.
    Few feelgood account managers hired for those who actually pay up, who's job is just to make the payers feel better for paying up; Not to actually make anything better in the product itself.

• @deank said:
    Being a coder is possibility the worst job other than being an actual slave.

Said by every shit coder. SMH

• @hosthatch - I like your billing panel. What is it?

• edited April 2021

@LTniger said:

@Alex_Clientexec said:

We have no plans to increase our pricing, just saying :)

This is your oportunity to shine. Release new features, hire more team members, invest. And you will ride a wild money horse as DirectAdmin doing it now.

That is the plan! We're working hard on v7 right now which will only be the start of many good things to come!

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Alex_Clientexec said:

@LTniger said:

@Alex_Clientexec said:

We have no plans to increase our pricing, just saying :)

This is your oportunity to shine. Release new features, hire more team members, invest. And you will ride a wild money horse as DirectAdmin doing it now.

That is the plan! We're working hard on v7 right now which will only be the start of many good things to come!

May we get an official promise of "no price increase until year 2070"?

Hosting investors like to do math calculations beforehand, and not disappoint their customers later by increasing prices out of nowhere, like some dishonest company (Scaleway, Online, and others).

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

LOL, any price promises is just digging your own grave.

Inflation happens people! Not sure why people in the hosting industry think all the prices are grandfathered.

@default said: May we get an official promise of "no price increase until year 2070"?

Thanked by 2Lee bulbasaur
  • mxnhostmxnhost Member, Host Rep

This is going to affect the 'little guys' and cPanel seem to be on a roll to increase (without care). I honestly do think they are to start marketing at enterprises, it is clear that their product roadman is 'slowly' but surely changing to this. Sad really!

• Maybe it's a conspiracy, and big companies want to control the market.

At what point do you stop considering a company as "little guys" ?

If you look at the new pricing guide, if 1000 active client @ 44.95. That's still pretty cheap.
    2500 active clients @ 99.95, still pretty cheap.

5000 active clients @ 174.95... well, I think that's where you can start debating.

If you have 5000 clients, I surely hope you can generate 3 cents of profit from them. 174.95 / 5000 = 0.03499.

And if you have 5000 clients, are you still a "little guy" ?

@aonaphost said: This is going to affect the 'little guys' and cPanel seem to be on a roll to increase (without care). I honestly do think they are to start marketing at enterprises, it is clear that their product roadman is 'slowly' but surely changing to this. Sad really!

>

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • LeeLee Veteran

@deank said: Low end mentality.

LEM, needs to become a bigger thing as it is so apt. Make it happen.

• @default said: May we get an official promise of "no price increase until year 2070"?

Ha while I can't promise no price increase until the year 2070 (after all, who knows what kind of world we'll live in then), I can promise you we will never raise prices out of greed. We are in business because of our awesome customers and partners so stabbing those who has kept us around for so long (Since 2002!) isn't on our todo list and will never be.

• LeeLee Veteran

@aonaphost said: This is going to affect the 'little guys' and cPanel seem to be on a roll to increase (without care). I honestly do think they are to start marketing at enterprises, it is clear that their product roadman is 'slowly' but surely changing to this. Sad really!

cPanel/OC knew what they were doing and that it would cause a loss of users, but as someone said above, Small potatoes companies bring the loudest noise but the least income.

They factored in losses but also the gains from the pricing increase. It worked for them.

I have only seen the nickel & dime hosts move entirely to DA. Many are offering DA alongside cPanel to see how it goes but from what I hear, people still want cPanel more than DA in anything but the N&D segment.

The bottom line, use what you want to use. Believe what you want to believe.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@Alex_Clientexec said:

@default said: May we get an official promise of "no price increase until year 2070"?

Ha while I can't promise no price increase until the year 2070 (after all, who knows what kind of world we'll live in then), I can promise you we will never raise prices out of greed.

Theoretically, WHMCS is not increasing prices because of greed. This is how they justify it:

Over the past 18 months, we have invested significantly in additional people and talent, with even more investment planned for 2021 and beyond. Our investment in the business is just one of the ways that will allow us to continue to deliver the market-leading automation platform for web hosting businesses and professionals.

We have big plans. We intend to lead the way in redefining how web hosting is bought and sold, including modernizing the end-user experience for traditional web hosting to better enable our customers and partners to compete in today's web hosting market. We will do this by delivering new user experiences, new workflows, and closer integration with existing products and services in the web hosting ecosystem.

[...]

Keep innovating, building, developing, designing, and hosting, and know that we continue to make investments to improve everyone's WHMCS experience.

So your argument... is subjective to say the least. Thank you for the answer though.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

@Alex_Clientexec

Your software looks good, but is the gocardless payment module extra?

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@default said:
    @hosthatch - I like your billing panel. What is it?

We use WHMCS in the background.

Thanked by 1default

@default said: like some dishonest company (Scaleway, Online, and others).

or force switch your servers to known broken and worse specced without a reason, and when you complain kick you out. This happened for us with Online.net ...

@lonea said: Not sure why people in the hosting industry think all the prices are grandfathered

Hosting prices are typically grandfathered

And that's the wrong mindset.

As a provider you can choose not to raise your current customer's prices but grandfathering shouldn't be expected because that's just not how any business work.

@PulsedMedia said: Hosting prices are typically grandfathered

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@lonea said:

As a provider you can choose not to raise your current customer's prices but grandfathering shouldn't be expected because that's just not how any business work.

Wrong. Grandfathering should be expected, because technology evolves, and old hosting remains with the same specs, so prices should not go up.

@lonea said: And that's the wrong mindset.

How any other business compares to hosting industry's constant price erosion, more for less?

@default said: Wrong. Grandfathering should be expected, because technology evolves, and old hosting remains with the same specs, so prices should not go up.

How about when you have a habit of constantly upgrading your old users to better specs? 🤔🤔🤔 We still grandfather the pricing, as we appreciate the continued business.

Considering, rent increases, employee wage increase, cost of living increases, electricity rate increases... not sure how your one factor of "technology evolve " is enough to justify grandfather pricing.

@default said:

@lonea said:

Wrong. Grandfathering should be expected, because technology evolves, and old hosting remains with the same specs, so prices should not go up.

Thanked by 2Lee bulbasaur

@PulsedMedia all streaming media platform, your local public transportation, hospitality & food industry... literally EVERYTHING.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Funny thing about rent -

On renewal, there is usually 5% increase due to inflation, on my renewal, my landlord was so happy that I was still paying (this was when Covid lockdown had just began. ) that he opted to freeze the rent for the next 5 years.

But then a few months later, Canadian government stepped in to freeze all rent.

Thanked by 1Ticaga

@lonea said:
    @PulsedMedia all streaming media platform, your local public transportation, hospitality & food industry... literally EVERYTHING.

When your upkeep costs plummet to 1/5th and other vendors have dropped their pricing to 1/4th, your new sales offers have dropped to 1/4th, how do you justify increasing pricing annually for same service?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@deank said:
    Funny thing about rent -

On renewal, there is usually 5% increase due to inflation, on my renewal, my landlord was so happy that I was still paying (this was when Covid lockdown had just began. ) that he opted to freeze the rent for the next 5 years.

But then a few months later, Canadian government stepped in to freeze all rent.

Neah, you're dreaming. These guys want to raise prices for old hosting accounts, because it's harder and harder to keep them. Please note they are not greedy, this is out of the question.

/sarcasm

• I am no more a provider here but providing hosting/design/social media management to my local clients with Blesta billing panel for quite some time. Back in the day when I was a provider and selling hosting globally I was using WHMCS. I did not make the switch to Blesta 5.0.x yet but I can say that Blesta is a competitive product and is a strong alternative. There is a weird duality of settings such as Company/System and tweaking those settings are kind of hard for me compared to WHMCS. But I like it. It is mostly open source and open to further development.

At this point I wish the best of luck to ClientExec and Blesta. There is a good opportunity for them. May the odds be ever on their favour and we have competitive billing panel market. DirectAdmin did it last year and there is no reason for CE and Blesta to repeat it. Time to invest, rebuild and advertise. Now it begins !

Thanked by 2Ticaga pphillips
  • its bad.
    anyone know why they change like that?
    they charge just like SaaS product, but it isnt.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Boogeyman said:

@yoursunny said:

@dedicados said:
    i have an owned license, is possible to sell it? i am not using it.

I'll offer 7 push-ups for your WHMCS owned license.
    Without support, this is as much as it's worth.
    For reference, 7 push-ups roughly equal half a backpack or an expiring .top domain name.

Buyer: How can I complete your payment? Do you take cash or credit card?

yoursunny: 10 Push-ups please!

Try buy a house with push-ups.
    You'll be very sore.

See also:

@lonea said:
    LOL, any price promises is just digging your own grave.

Inflation happens people!

Promise a capped increase rate.
    It adjusts for inflation but doesn't cause too much burden on buyers.

For example, my apartment rent has an annual increase cap of 2.1%.

Thanked by 2default Ticaga
  • HostStageHostStage Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@default said:
    Maybe it's a conspiracy, and big companies want to control the market.

It is the same company that does such increase for cPanel / Plesk and WHMCS.
    A venture capitalist group found out about the odd market which is the web hosting industry.
    It took 3 financially very reasonable acquisitions to control such a share of a market. You'll find this opportunity no where else.

It is clear a violation of AntiTrust laws that should be punishable at least in EU but we are to scattered to make this happen. It may worth to initiate such attempt. Maybe we could join up and create a crowd funded lawyer investigation on this matter to see whether there is a case.
    We are the many, it may work.