Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you store your OVF/OVA Exports of VMWare ESXi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you store your OVF/OVA Exports of VMWare ESXi

Hello,

I have six virtual machines on a server running VMWare ESXi 6.7 located in my own home. I had exported them a couple of months ago to OVF or OVA images. The images add up to about 1 Terabyte. I suspect, in part, because the four Linux ones are encrypted. I don't actually have 1 Terabyte of data inside. But, whenever I exported an encrypted Linux VM with 100GB of disk space allocated to it, the OVF or OVA image takes 100 GB of disk space.

And I plan to add more virtual machines, including an OwnCloud and UniTrends which are likely to be one Terabyte each. Total: 3 terabytes. Plus future exports. I want to keep a couple of export versions of each VM so that, if I discover something broken that I cannot fix, I have a shot at backing up to an earliest exported version.

Let's say you need to store 10 Terabytes total? Where do you (or would you) store it? Please specify whether it's already something you are doing or something you would do. I am currently leaning towards Google Coldline or Archive. Is that cheaper or more expensive than the 13.59 euro a month for 8 TB V1000 L deal advertised a couple of day ago on LET by PulseMedia?

PulseMedia mentioned "Be mindfull of RAID0 and being a shared server". All my VMs, except two, are in Linux, with the hard drive encrypted during installation. So, whatever this RAID0 thing is, I am not worried about. However, my two Windows VMs are not encrypted. Is it more economical, without compromising safety, to store my Linux VMs with PulseMedia and my Windows one on Google (Coldline or Archive)?

Does "Be mindfull of RAID0 and being a shared server" mean that it's not safe to install OwnCloud on V1000 L itself. If I could safely install OwnCloud on V1000 L without risk of this RAID0 raiding my data from me, then I wouldn't have to create an OwnCloud VM on my home based server.

Any other option that is better than both Google Storage and PulseMedia?

GodsGiftToLET

Best Option for Storing 10 Terabytes worth of Virtual Machine OVF/OVAs
  1. Google Storage Coldline11 votes
    1. Google Storage Archive
      27.27%
    2. Under A Mattress
      18.18%
    3. PulseMedia V1000 L (8TB for 13.59 euros/month)
        9.09%
    4. An 8TB Portable Hard Drive from Costco at $150
      27.27%
    5. Other (Specify In Comments)
      18.18%

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Backup replicated via 3 storages:

Hostsolutions
    Time4vps
    Scaleway

Thinking on to add 4th to make it quadruple backup. Because there is never to many backups. Just looking for the right provider.

• @LTniger said: Thinking on to add 4th to make it quadruple backup. Because there is never to many backups. Just looking for the right provider.

Consider @seriesn ?

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • LeviLevi Member

@Boogeyman said:

@LTniger said: Thinking on to add 4th to make it quadruple backup. Because there is never to many backups. Just looking for the right provider.

Consider @seriesn ?

I don't like their PR, it's to cheesy for me. But thank you for suggestion.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

without risk of this RAID0 raiding my data from me

That genuinely confused me for a second there.

I suggest doing some light reading on what RAID is, but the general consensus is to not put anything you can't afford to lose, let alone backups, on a RAID0 array since it's (arguably) much more at risk for data loss compared to a plain drive.

On provider suggestions, I have boxes from HostSolutions (@cociu) and ServaRICA (@servarica_hani).

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • AndruAndru Member

Local datastore on a separate hdd san.

• I have storage servers from Inception hosting where I store all custom software archives.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

Google is going to be 100 times more expensive. Just buy 2 hard drives at Costco and do 2 backups, keep one onsite and one off-site (like at your parents' house). Every now and then switch the on-site backup with the off-site one. Then update the off-site one, and swap them again when you are over at your parents' house.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@GodsGiftToLET said: GodsGiftToLET

How modest

Congrats on your first post since November 2017