Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Story Behind Digital Ocean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interesting Story Behind Digital Ocean

edited March 2021 in General

Digital Ocean is the story of two Russian Brothers, Moisey Uretsky and Ben Uretsky, who first started https://www.ServerStack.com/ in 2003, which still exists today.

Then in 2012 they created a cloud-only company, Digital Ocean, which cattered to smaller-time Developers and Programmers.

Ben Uretsky was CEO until 2018 when they received a new wave of Venture Capital funding and the new VC investors wanted Ben Uretsky out to replace him with a veteran tech CEO with the right connections to secure more investors, Mark Templeton. Templeton was significantly older and seen as "stable" by the VC's. Here's the announcement bringing in Mark Templeton:
https://www.digitalocean.com/press/releases/digitalocean-appoints-mark-templeton-as-chief-executive/#:~:text=NEW YORK, NY – June 20,the company's board of directors.

Move to the present, Digital Ocean's investors now wanted to ride the wave of Black Lives Matter, Social Justice, and equity (aka: replacing non-minority Executives with African Americans). Thus they bring in Yancey Spruill as CEO, take the company to IPO, and reap the harvest of being Social Justice Warriors complete with their own "Oprah Winfrey style" presser:

One lesson may be that if your company achieves the success you're after gaining you Venture Capital investors, you will not be deemed "fit" to continue as CEO of your own company if you don't have the "right" connections or you're not the current "in" flavor of minority. However, the Uretsky Brothers did still reap a payday as board members.

Maybe you're better off if your hosting business doesn't achieve the success you think you're looking for.

A great interview with Digital Ocean founder and former CEO Ben Uretsky before investors deemed him "unfit" to lead:

Comments

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2021

When you make a deal with devils (financers/investors), you have to expect a poor outcome is possible if they get too much control.
    Regardless, I'm sure the guy never has to worry about money ever again, even if he is not running the show.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited March 2021

Hope it puts pressure on AWS/GCP/Azure absurd prices.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Jona4s said:
    Hope it puts pressure on AWS absurd prices.

doubt it. AWS is catering to the Top Players in companies. like GE, Exxon, ect.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2021

@Jona4s said:

It most likely be the opposite. Investors will notice that AWS and Azure charging 100 times more for the same, will demand a price increase, will look at it as "Even at 100% increase, we are cheaper, but more revenue".

I am yet to see one IT company (or any), that went public and didn't focus on increasing their revenue. If they want public money, they have to show revenue. More revenue = More $$$ from the stock market. And almost every one of them had price increase, while cutting costs.

Look at amazons stock, majority of that is due to AWS. Heck, the current CEO was the guy, who ran AWS.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@seriesn said:

@Jona4s said:

It most likely be the opposite. Investors will notice that AWS and Azure charging 100 times more for the same, will demand a price increase, will look at it as "Even at 100% increase, we are cheaper, but more revenue".

I am yet to see one IT company (or any), that went public and didn't focus on increasing their revenue. If they want public money, they have to show revenue. More revenue = More $$$ from the stock market. And almost every one of them had price increase, while cutting costs.

Look at amazons stock, majority of that is due to AWS. Heck, the current CEO was the guy, who ran AWS.

Be quiet or scaleway will hear you!

Francisco

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited March 2021

I thought the first was realitychecknetwork. Thats why they have offsite backups now to AWS.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited March 2021

I just checked their link https://www.serverstack.com/managed-servers.html
    It says if I can spend $10000/month on dedicated server I can request a quote!

I must be a bank or ecommerce site to do so :open_mouth:
    not for single E3/E5/i5 server order!

• Not watching an interview. What was the interesting part?

• JarryJarry Member

@Jona4s said:
    Hope it puts pressure on AWS/GCP/Azure absurd prices.

25GB storage & 5TB transfer is not very plausible scenario. But just enought to show how much more expensive others are (if that's what you are looking for)...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2021

@Offshore_Solutions said: Maybe you're better off if your hosting business doesn't achieve the success you think you're looking for.

I think the real lesson is that if you get to the stage Ben was at when the VC companies started taking over it means you have won the prize you were aiming for. Certainly in his case.

If you were in the unlikely position of growing your hosting business to the size VC are interested in and want to buy you out of the business your view will be quite different when they dangle those $$$'s in front of you.

• @TimboJones said:
    Not watching an interview. What was the interesting part?

snowflakes talking about social justice