Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean’s IPO (NYSE: DOCN)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean’s IPO (NYSE: DOCN)

Dear Valued Customer,

Today marks an important milestone in DigitalOcean’s journey—we are now officially a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DOCN).

While today is momentous, I want to reiterate that our focus on you and the community will not change. You have been and will continue to be the foundation and inspiration for everything we do because it’s our mission to simplify cloud computing so developers and businesses can spend more time creating software that changes the world.

We will remain focused on serving your unique needs as we deliver new innovations to help you test your ideas and grow your businesses. We will expand our global footprint to help even more developers and entrepreneurs around the world realize the benefits of cloud computing. And we will continue to grow and invest in our community.

As part of our IPO, we are announcing our commitment to join the Pledge 1% movement. Pledge 1% is a global movement of companies to commit a portion of their capital to serving their communities. We are committing at least $50 million over the next 10 years to expand our Hub for Good program, which we are renaming, Hollie’s Hub for Good. The program honors Hollie Haggans, a beloved DigitalOcean team member and champion of our community who passed away earlier this month, and represents our commitment to our community to come together to solve the challenges of the world.

Thank you for trusting us to be where you test your ideas and build your business, and for bringing us along for your journey. We believe we are just getting started.

Cheers,
Yancey
CEO, DigitalOcean

Comments

• Congrats to DO. Still waiting for my Hacktoberfest T-shirt to be delivered.

• DOCN stonks go up. Next $gme.

• Bought some :D

• @Chocoweb said:
    Congrats to DO. Still waiting for my Hacktoberfest T-shirt to be delivered.

mine too, maybe next year we got double tshirt. lol

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Chocoweb said:

I got few months ago. (November - December maybe)
    Have you got any tracking number?

• @dragon1993 said:

@Chocoweb said:

I got few months ago. (November - December maybe)
    Have you got any tracking number?

Yes. I got it in February.

• LeviLevi Member

Anyone buying to future proof him-self and go brrr to the moon?

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said: Anyone

Me, only a few shares. A lot of devs use DO because it's consistent cheaper pricing than AWS (not just BF), and they have cool developer tutorial stuff. But, $4.5b seems like a lot for a company doing $350m in revenue (not profit, they were negative iirc).

• I’m in w/ 25 shares @ 43.07. We’ll see how this goes

• Do is over valued right now. I will wait till at least q2 before doing anything with their stock.

• Next in line, Lowendtalk. You know what the ticker will be.

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Jona4s said:
    Next in line, Lowendtalk. You know what the ticker will be.

We wish

• edited March 2021

DO is down by $2 today, do you think this is the lowest we'll see it?
    40.90 USD −0.86 (2.06%)

I realize they target small to medium businesses and fortune 100 companies but can Digital Ocean one day grow large enough to compete with AWS and Azure for fortune 500 companies?

Is there a Digital Ocean rep at LET?

"In 2020 DigitalOcean registered a $43.6 million net loss on a total of $318.4 million in revenue. The loss was up 7% from 2019, and revenue grew by about 25%. In a presentation to prospective investors, finance chief Bill Sorenson said the company wants to increase the amount of money it derives from each customer while reducing research and development and general administrative costs as a percentage of revenue."

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/24/digitalocean-starts-trading-on-nyse.html

• edited March 2021

@Moofie said:
    I’m in w/ 25 shares @ 43.07. We’ll see how this goes

Can I ask what trading platform you or others recommend joining (low fees) to buy Digital Ocean stock?

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@Moofie said:
    I’m in w/ 25 shares @ 43.07. We’ll see how this goes

Can I ask what trading platform you or others recommend joining (low fees) to buy Digital Ocean stock?

Personally been using E*TRADE for years

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said: Can I ask what trading platform you or others recommend joining (low fees) to buy Digital Ocean stock?

Virtually every brokerage is no-fee these days. Schwab went no-fee a year or two ago and the rest were all forced to follow suit.

I've been happy at TD Ameritrade and don't see an advantage to Robinhood, WeBull, and the rest of the current crop of "app-based" brokerages. In fact, I tried to sign up at both Robinhood and WeBull and because my bank wasn't in their system, it was impossible to get the "free match" money. Customer service said...oh right, I forgot, there is no customer service with those. I can get a TDA guy on the phone immediately, they have local offices, etc.

• @Offshore_Solutions said: Is there a Digital Ocean rep at LET?

No, kindly summon them.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said: I realize they target small to medium businesses and fortune 100 companies but can Digital Ocean one day grow large enough to compete with AWS and Azure for fortune 500 companies?

Any good business competes a tooth off to capture unrealized market shares. Target and Wal-Mart are an excellent example of two retailers that have minimal overlap and manage to capture similar markets while not directly competing against each other. If DO keeps their simplicity-first objectives in mind they can compete as a watered down AWS that, mind you there's a finite number of IPv4 available, also affords good protection from new entrants.

If Cloudflare can hit a $20bn valuation as a CDN where the threat of new entrants is much higher, DO has room to grow. Just a matter of time until it bottoms out.

• LeviLevi Member

@Stonks said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: Is there a Digital Ocean rep at LET?

No, kindly summon them.

You can summon rep when it's present on the system. We had @jar working in DO, but he rebelled against them and created MXroute. Currently there is no rep. Maybe write directly to Yancey and ask.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

@nem said:
    If Cloudflare can hit a $20bn valuation as a CDN where the threat of new entrants is much higher, DO has room to grow. Just a matter of time until it bottoms out.

In my point of view, in the CDN market the threat of new entrants is not at all high. That is, anyone could spin up a CDN service just like every man and their dog now offer web hosting, that is (almost) true, but then getting it right and making it really work well for multiple use cases is times harder, very expensive and quite very challenging to do. When you start adding features and try to innovate the costs simply skyrocket.

Back on DO, I share @seriesn opinion. Will wait a bit for their stocks to settle one way or another, and will also be looking at what they plan to do so I can figure out if I want to buy. I'd rather be looking into dividends instead of trading these stocks and at that time this is obviously impossible.

• jhjh Member

I never buy an IPO but if the price is right around Q2 I'll buy some :)

• @jh said:
    I never buy an IPO but if the price is right around Q2 I'll buy some :)

What about now? At just over $37, has Digital Ocean gone as low as it will go before going up?

• jhjh Member

@Offshore_Solutions said: What about now? At just over $37, has Digital Ocean gone as low as it will go before going up?

This is not really "what I do" so take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I won't be buying any. They're valued at something like 13x annual revenue and they're losing money. Their revenue growth is impressive, especially given their size, but I'm not seeing a clear path to profitability and they've lost more money in the last 2 quarters than the 2 before that. There's also nothing really unique about DO - they're mostly just enjoying industry tailwinds.

• cannot see uniqueness of DO and no clear advantage over competition

• edited May 2021

@jh said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: What about now? At just over $37, has Digital Ocean gone as low as it will go before going up?

This is not really "what I do" so take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I won't be buying any. They're valued at something like 13x annual revenue and they're losing money. Their revenue growth is impressive, especially given their size, but I'm not seeing a clear path to profitability and they've lost more money in the last 2 quarters than the 2 before that. There's also nothing really unique about DO - they're mostly just enjoying industry tailwinds.

Sounds like you know a ton about investing in IT.

Of the big dogs, Linode, Vultr, AWS, etc, who is profitable? Are there any up-and-coming tech companies you are interested in investing in?

@seriesn said:
    Do is over valued right now. I will wait till at least q2 before doing anything with their stock.

Where are you at @seriesn with DO now? Still investing in Q2?

Someone on YouTube invested in Digital Ocean last year at $13/share before they were listed on the Stock Exchange. Aside from working for DO, how do these people invest before the company is listed?

• @Offshore_Solutions said:
    Someone on YouTube invested in Digital Ocean last year at $13/share before they were listed on the Stock Exchange. Aside from working fir DO, how do these people invest before the company is listed?

You can get stocks pre IPO. Not sure if it’s a requirement but a lot of pre IPO brokers only accept you if you’re a credited investor.

• jhjh Member

@Offshore_Solutions said: Aside from working fir DO, how do these people invest before the company is listed?

If you invest in a private company, you not only have to hope that the price goes up, you also have to hope that they list on a stock exchange. For this reason, investments like CrowdCube are really bad in my opinion. The only way is the vested stock that senior employees get but there's usually a long lock-in period that stops you ever getting most of the stock you supposedly earn. There are some exceptions.

@Offshore_Solutions said: Of the big dogs, Linode, Vultr, AWS, etc, who is profitable? Are there any up-and-coming tech companies you are interested in investing in?

AWS and Azure are probably the only hosting companies I would invest in but you have to buy a share of the whole Amazon/Microsoft business.

I usually avoid individual stocks with what I know so if you're impressed at what I know, I don't think you should. If you want to invest just buy an S&P500 ETF with a low fee. But if you must buy an individual stock, I recommend Shopify.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

The market sure is being tough on tech and things rotate to value. Not a pretty day today either...

Look at BTC, it briefly touched $27,000 today. Now back to $36,000 as I type this.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@jbiloh said: $27,000 today

Damn it! Missed out.