Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo, from a customer of 6 months
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo, from a customer of 6 months

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
edited March 2021 in Reviews

⭐⭐⭐⭐✰/⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Contabo was and still is my first (and favorite) provider.

That's where my email, website, and a nextcloud instance are.
I got the VPS S SSD, on a day of promotion when they waived the setup cost for a VPS.
If it wasn't for that promotion I might've not bought a VPS from them.
Currently, I'm very happy with them.
(But somewhat looking to get dedicated cores)
I didn't get a loaded node like some people on this forum (but if those people were to call them or email them, they would've gotten transported to another unloaded node).
Their support is amazing, fast and really helpful. I just needed to send them an email to get changed to an AMD node and get the disk speeds unlocked.
They have telephone support, but I never needed to use it, as I didn't have any big issues like downtime or anything like this to solve.
Their SLA (uptime) with me so far is 100%.
My only complaint is that I only have a 200 Mbit port speed, but with the fact that the service is only 5 EUR p/m, I really can't complain.
Overall I'm pretty happy with them, and would defenedly recommend them to someone.

Here is the advertised specification:
4 vCPU Cores
8 GB RAM
200 GB SSD
200 Mbit/s Port (unmetered)

Here are my YABS resoults:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2020-12-29                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed 24 Mar 2021 09:37:44 AM CET

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Processor  : AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor
CPU cores  : 4 @ 2799.998 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 7.8 GiB
Swap       : 4.0 GiB
Disk       : 197.2 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 5.29 MB/s     (1.3k) | 63.86 MB/s     (997)
Write      | 5.31 MB/s     (1.3k) | 64.27 MB/s    (1.0k)
Total      | 10.60 MB/s    (2.6k) | 128.13 MB/s   (2.0k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 525.02 MB/s   (1.0k) | 629.90 MB/s    (615)
Write      | 552.92 MB/s   (1.0k) | 671.86 MB/s    (656)
Total      | 1.07 GB/s     (2.1k) | 1.30 GB/s     (1.2k)
p
iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 196 Mbits/sec   | 197 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 198 Mbits/sec   | busy
WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 197 Mbits/sec   | 187 Mbits/sec
Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 167 Mbits/sec   | 120 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 189 Mbits/sec   | 191 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 178 Mbits/sec   | 183 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 180 Mbits/sec   | 185 Mbits/sec
Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 129 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 196 Mbits/sec   | 195 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 196 Mbits/sec   | 196 Mbits/sec
WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 196 Mbits/sec   | 196 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 186 Mbits/sec   | 190 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 178 Mbits/sec   | 184 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value
                |
Single Core     | 765
Multi Core      | 2429
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7096597
Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
Poll time
  1. Do you like Contabo?69 votes
    1. Yes
      60.87%
    2. No
      39.13%
  2. Do you have an active service with Contabo?69 votes
    1. Yes
      36.23%
    2. No
      63.77%

Comments

• HakimHakim Member

How did you get VM-x/AMD-V enabled? @skorupion

• Used to have a service with them and support was very fast, but the node that I received was quite slow. Have found better offers and moved since.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@Hakim said:
    How did you get VM-x/AMD-V enabled? @skorupion

It was always enabled for me, I think, what does it do? @Hakim

• HakimHakim Member

I had a few VPS with them previously & currently have the VPS S SSD. Nested virtualization was disabled on all of them. I contacted their support once to enable nested virtualization for one VPS but they refused to do that.

@skorupion said: what does it do?

I wanted to run another OS using VirtualBox which requires virtualization enabled.

edited March 2021

@Hakim said:
    I had a few VPS with them previously & currently have the VPS S SSD. Nested virtualization was disabled on all of them. I contacted their support once to enable nested virtualization for one VPS but they refused to do that.

@skorupion said: what does it do?

I wanted to run another OS using VirtualBox which requires virtualization enabled.

Ohh you mean nested virt. I might have had it switched on by them on accident when moving from an intel node to an amd node.

• edited March 2021

Glad you're happy and thanks for review. Are you in their German datacenter or USA one? On which holiday did they waive setup fees, black Friday?

@Offshore_Solutions said:
    Glad you're happy and thanks for review. Are you in their German datacenter or USA one? On which holiday did they waive setup fees, black Friday?

In the german one, and I don't remember

• @skorupion said:

Sadly there is a $10 extra fee to choose Contabo's St. Louis, Missouri, USA location so it's tempting to choose their Munich datacenter and use that $10 towards more important things.

Do you suspect Contabo owns the new St. Louis datacenter or that they collocate in another company's datacenter?

edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

Sadly there is a $10 extra fee to choose Contabo's St. Louis, Missouri, USA location so it's tempting to choose their Munich datacenter and use that $10 towards more important things.

Do you suspect Contabo owns the new St. Louis datacenter or that they collocate in another company's datacenter?

They own it.
    But imma shoot them an email and ask.

• ddvuddvu Member

Agreed, they are quite decent. Its a shame they got rid of their colocation offering.

edited March 2021

@ddvu said:
    Agreed, they are quite decent. Its a shame they got rid of their colocation offering.

Did you contact their support to discuss colo?
    Maybe it's quiet colo?

Edit: Nvm they discontinued it.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Offshore_Solutions said: Sadly there is a $10 extra fee to choose Contabo's St. Louis, Missouri, USA location so it's tempting to choose their Munich datacenter and use that $10 towards more important things.

I think that they've waived the location fee until April 1.

• @angstrom said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: Sadly there is a $10 extra fee to choose Contabo's St. Louis, Missouri, USA location so it's tempting to choose their Munich datacenter and use that $10 towards more important things.

I think that they've waived the location fee until April 1.

They have indeed. Now is the time to buy for US.

• I didn't know you could ask them to migrate your server to an AMD node. Did you tell them anything special? @skorupion
    I have two servers with them (same plan) and one is rock solid (>200 days uptime) and the other one reboots every now and then.

@Pixels said:
    I didn't know you could ask them to migrate your server to an AMD node. Did you tell them anything special? @skorupion
    I have two servers with them (same plan) and one is rock solid (>200 days uptime) and the other one reboots every now and then.

Just email then that you want to be transferred to an AMD node nothing special.
    Maybe specify which server you want migrated if you have 2.

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think Contabo has two potential roads they could go down, and I think this summarizes their direction:

Using more words: Their price to resource ratio started out at difficult levels to sustain, but that’s the best play. That’s what @Francisco knew and the rest of us figured out later. Sell low today, profit high tomorrow. The cost of providing resources goes down, the profit margins increase over time. It’s a short term win to get market share and push the profits off to a later date. Now that Contabo has seen enough profit they’re not just sitting on it, they’re growing their operation and product offerings.

At one point I expected them to be a low quality household name on LET followed by eventual failure. I don’t believe I was correct in that.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@jar said:
    I think Contabo has two potential roads they could go down, and I think this summarizes their direction:

Using more words: Their price to resource ratio started out at difficult levels to sustain, but that’s the best play. That’s what @Francisco knew and the rest of us figured out later. Sell low today, profit high tomorrow. The cost of providing resources goes down, the profit margins increase over time. It’s a short term win to get market share and push the profits off to a later date. Now that Contabo has seen enough profit they’re not just sitting on it, they’re growing their operation and product offerings.

At one point I expected them to be a low quality household name on LET followed by eventual failure. I don’t believe I was correct in that.

I will agree with that.
    They are probably going to build more Datacenters (so cheap VPSes), maybe expand to Asia, and later on Africa.
    That will be a lot of profits that they are going to have.

• @skorupion said:

@Pixels said:
    I didn't know you could ask them to migrate your server to an AMD node. Did you tell them anything special? @skorupion

They got back at me and told me they'd have to move the server to a different datacenter, thus reinstall required and IP would change. Was that your case too? Which datacenter are you on?

• @Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

They got back at me and told me they'd have to move the server to a different datacenter, thus reinstall required and IP would change. Was that your case too? Which datacenter are you on?

I also asked to be moved to an AMD node. They told me they'll migrate it to a AMD node and got back to a few mins later when they were done.

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

Nuremberg and no it wasn't the case for me. I'd just recommend you get your data, and do it. You will instead of having a 2,4 GHz processor, you will get a 2,8 GHz one, which is a nice upgrade.

Thanked by 1Pixels

@lukgth said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

I also asked to be moved to an AMD node. They told me they'll migrate it to a AMD node and got back to a few mins later when they were done.

Yep as easy as pie to transfer. Did you get disk speeds unlocked too?

• @skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

Nuremberg and no it wasn't the case for me. I'd just recommend you get your data, and do it. You will instead of having a 2,4 GHz processor, you will get a 2,8 GHz one, which is a nice upgrade.

Data wouldn't be a problem, having the IP change is kinda problematic. I am really interested in moving to AMD but I expected this kind of reply from them.

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

Data wouldn't be a problem, having the IP change is kinda problematic. I am really interested in moving to AMD but I expected this kind of reply from them.

And why is having an IP change problematic? Please don't tell me you hardcoded it into the system

• @skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

And why is having an IP change problematic? Please don't tell me you hardcoded it into the system

It's not a problem for me, but it may be a problem for other people that I am sharing the server with. Again, I am fairly sure this is just to refrain people from migrating.

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

@skorupion said:

@Pixels said:

It's not a problem for me, but it may be a problem for other people that I am sharing the server with. Again, I am fairly sure this is just to refrain people from migrating.

Not really, they have assigned subnets in data centers, from which you can't easily migrate an IP to another datacenter. And I and another user here on LET had no problems migrating. Second of all if you have shared hosting on that VPS, then you should use nameservers. So it's up to you wherever you migrate or not. Maybe ask those people if they wanted to have a faster processor. And they will probably be like. ye ok, whatever that I need to change the IP.

Thanked by 2Pixels bulbasaur