Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMS payments for hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMS payments for hosting

LeviLevi Member

Is there any shared hosting which offers SMS as a payment option? How do you think, does such option would be popular?

Comments

• when telcos don't fuck you.

last time i looked into this, the phone co took 50-80% "transaction fee". that is correct. double digits.

Thanked by 2yoursunny bulbasaur
  • LeviLevi Member

@aiden1 said:
    when telcos don't fuck you.

last time i looked into this, the phone co took 50-80% "transaction fee". that is correct. double digits.

But is it still relevant? SMS as a service is dying in light of apps (messenger,wechat etc.).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2021

You so much as say hello to the wrong person at the wrong hour over SMS and your IP range will be banned from AOL, Yahoo, Verizon, and all of the brands those companies acquired over the years before Verizon acquired and then collapsed their mailing systems into one. Imagine what one dispute could cause.

I had to go directly to the Verizon CEO to clear up that listing.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur kkrajk
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

SMS payments are very bad for everyone involved (merchant has to keep on top of fees/admin overhead, customer has that cost passed down to them), but they still have some popularity.

It depends entirely on your target market, if you want to sell to kids (a lot of gaming website/gaming hosts tend to permit this option) or in the developing world (who also use this option a lot), it may be worth implementing.

The fees associated with SMS are pretty high (usually >35%) and do differ by operator and country, so that's something that you have to keep in mind when thinking about your margins.