Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shady or Legit Reseller on Flippa?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shady or Legit Reseller on Flippa?

edited March 2021 in General

There is a hosting provider I'm trying to track down selling what appear to be ready-to-go hosting businesses on Flippa.com. What the unsuspecting Buyer receives is a domain and the word of the Hosting Provider that the Buyer will be paid for providing customers to the Seller.

This is basically an expensive affiliate program where the Buyer may work hard at providing customers to the Seller with the risk of not receiving a commission. And if the customer renews, does the Buyer receive any commission? (probably not) The Seller does admit these are SaaS sites if the Buyer is savey enough to understand that they don't actually receive a website.

Here's one they are selling for $625!
https://flippa.com/10728733-complete-web-hosting-business-0-maintenance-running-on-autopilot

Here's another they are selling for $425:
https://flippa.com/10766925-complete-web-hosting-business-0-maintenance-running-on-autopilot

This seems like a great deal for the Seller and not a good deal for the Buyer who's really only getting a crappy domain and a questionable promise. What's your thoughts?

Comments

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

You can get far better domains for $7 at LET.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

You can probably hand-reg better domains than those :joy:

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • I'd suggest that you take the entire business model of Flippa with a grain of salt.

After all, if the business is nice and profitable, why don't you pursue and improve it yourself, instead of trying to sell it off to others?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2021

I investigated a bit and would suggest avoiding the scheme entirely (and anything on Flippa, for that matter).

Looking at the websites hostzend.com and hostlean.com we find the first red flag, namely a @gmail.com address being used for support:

Checking the whois records for the domain, I see that these are registered in 2020, but the copyright in the footer claim that they've been in business since 2004.

$ whois hostzend.com
       Domain Name: HOSTZEND.COM
       Registry Domain ID: 2578639907_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
       Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.liquidnetlimited.com
       Registrar URL: http://www.liquidnetlimited.com
       Updated Date: 2020-12-14T18:01:22Z
       Creation Date: 2020-12-14T17:43:41Z
       Registry Expiry Date: 2021-12-14T17:43:41Z
       Registrar: LiquidNet Ltd.

$ whois hostlean.com
       Domain Name: HOSTLEAN.COM
       Registry Domain ID: 2574536992_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
       Updated Date: 2020-11-25T21:36:37Z
       Creation Date: 2020-11-25T18:25:28Z
       Registry Expiry Date: 2021-11-25T18:25:28Z
       Registrar IANA ID: 1472
       Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]

Apart from the whois records, the "liquidnet" name is found elsewhere as well. For example, on the registration form of the two websites:

Given the above and the whois records also suggesting the fact that "liquidnet" is the registrar, it is safe to say that liquidnet is somehow involved in the scheme. Taking a look at liquidnetlimited.com, they seem to operate some kind of free reseller program and these domains are part of that reseller hosting program which then leads us to "resellerspanel.com".

I found lots of negative reviews here https://www.whtop.com/review/resellerspanel.com, but if it's something you're after, just go ahead and use resellerspanel directly instead of buying it from someone.

• @stevewatson301 said:
    I investigated a bit and would suggest avoiding the scheme entirely (and anything on Flippa, for that matter).

Looking at the websites hostzend.com and hostlean.com we find the first red flag, namely a @gmail.com address being used for support:

Checking the whois records for the domain, I see that these are registered in 2020, but the copyright in the footer claim that they've been in business since 2004.

$ whois hostzend.com
       Domain Name: HOSTZEND.COM
       Registry Domain ID: 2578639907_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
       Updated Date: 2020-12-14T18:01:22Z
       Creation Date: 2020-12-14T17:43:41Z
       Registry Expiry Date: 2021-12-14T17:43:41Z

$ whois hostlean.com
       Domain Name: HOSTLEAN.COM
       Registry Domain ID: 2574536992_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
       Updated Date: 2020-11-25T21:36:37Z
       Creation Date: 2020-11-25T18:25:28Z
       Registry Expiry Date: 2021-11-25T18:25:28Z
       Registrar IANA ID: 1472
       Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]

Apart from the whois records, the "liquidnet" name is found elsewhere as well. For example, on the registration form of the two websites:

Given the above and the whois records also suggesting the fact that "liquidnet" is the registrar, it is safe to say that liquidnet is somehow involved in the scheme. Taking a look at liquidnetlimited.com, they seem to operate some kind of free reseller program and these domains are part of that reseller hosting program which then leads us to "resellerspanel.com".

I found lots of negative reviews here https://www.whtop.com/review/resellerspanel.com, but if it's something you're after, just go ahead and use resellerspanel directly instead of buying it from someone.

Incredibly good detective work there @stevewatson301 !
    Very negative reviews indeed for this UK company Resellerspanel.com

I do respect their work ethic of getting their sites on Flippa and if they've been able to sell some of these crappy domains for as much as $625. Their packaging looks good to the unsuspecting but they didn't put any effort into finding the domains.

• ddvuddvu Member

erm sorry wat @stevewatson301 ? ;)

In no way is the seller nor Flippa anywhere stating anything other than the facts. You would get de-listed very quickly otherwise. Flippa, as like any auction/classifieds place, has some bad-apples but its quite safe and they offer a lot of tools to ensure buyers are protected.

1. The listing does not make any claims of the business running since 2004, it makes VERY clear that the site is only 4 months old. Why they put it in their template/footer is a different thing and has nothing to do with the auction
    2. The listing makes zero claims of making any profits, nor even claims of having a single customer.
    3. Involving every resellers with what their clients do is kinda tinfoil. Might be true, but most likely the reseller does not need to make money off 500 USD auctions in Flippa...

Not saying though I would buy this though, its obviously high-priced cra** ;) (my opinion)

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2021

@ddvu

To clarify, I'm not saying that you will be scammed outright -- in most cases, you would be sold a thing that does work (and it might be even profitable). But, given the fact that the business owner could choose to run it themselves if it's a "good" business, you are more likely to become a bagholder should you choose to buy a business from there.

Looking around a bit, I found people trying to sell everything from websites that aren't even configured with the proper DNS records, to simple Shopify stores and click farms. Suffice to say, it's anything but a good sign and it only verifies what I've said before.

• I find it funny the first thing which I thought of was... I'm sure I've seen that logo before... But they took the idea from MochaHost's old logo:

They also don't get the best of reviews either... They are a ICANN accredited member though.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I see "PHP 4" as a red flag.
    Nobody should be advertising PHP 4 in this year.

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • @yoursunny said:

Maybe it's a typo, from PHP 7.4. :smiley:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@default said:

@yoursunny said:

Maybe it's a typo, from PHP 7.4. :smiley:

It's not a typo.
    From https://hostlean.com:

PHP4/PHP5/PHP7 Support

• @Blestastore said:
    They are a ICANN accredited member though.

That is impressive that they are an ICNN accredited member. How much would you guess it costs to receive that accreditation?

• LeviLevi Member

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@Blestastore said:
    They are a ICANN accredited member though.

That is impressive that they are an ICNN accredited member. How much would you guess it costs to receive that accreditation?

0$ if you are usual scammer.

• Just an FYI pakcloudhost.com which was banned in Feb had a post here:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169646/pakcloudhost-cpanel-hosting-with-free-ssl-cloudlinux-litespeed-imunify360

And they used the same theme as one of those sites. So obviously buyer beware and not even worth $7

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • edited March 2021

@stevewatson301 said:

Flippa isn't always bad. Somewhere around 2007 - 2008, my partner and I sold Ablehosting.com with clients on Flippa. We got somewhere around 8K for it which was great for that period of time considering it was only shared hosting clients. Sadly, my partner later raked me over but that's a long story.

The new owner is still going strong today.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Flippa isn't always bad. Somewhere around 2007 - 2008, my partner and I sold Ablehosting.com with clients on Flippa. We got somewhere around 8K for it which was great for that period of time considering it was only shared hosting clients.

What were your reasons for the exit?

• edited March 2021

@stevewatson301 said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Flippa isn't always bad. Somewhere around 2007 - 2008, my partner and I sold Ablehosting.com with clients on Flippa. We got somewhere around 8K for it which was great for that period of time considering it was only shared hosting clients.

Our partnership wasn't working out which has happened to me 2X in this business. When this happens, you have few options but to sell. He even raked me over when it came time to split the sale price.

Lesson learned, have employees, not a partner.

Thanked by 2skorupion Ticaga
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@stevewatson301 said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Our partnership wasn't working out which has happened to me 2X in this business. When this happens, you have few options but to sell. He even raked me over when it came time to split the sale price.

Hey I have a question. Are you associated with https://offshoresolutions.co.nz/
    You do have their logo for your profile picture, but they don't specialize in hosting, etc...

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@stevewatson301 said:

You do have their logo for your profile picture, but they don't specialize in hosting, etc...

Nope, borrowed it for a week as a temporary while Eric is designing us a permanent logo. He's the best logo guy in the business.

Once Eric finishes, we'll be up at OffshoreSolutions.com (empty now).

@skorupion said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Nope, borrowed it for a week as a temporary while Eric is designing us a permanent logo. He's the best logo guy in the business.

Once Eric finishes, we'll be up at OffshoreSolutions.com (empty now).

At least add a coming soon page, it's not that hard to make one, and its free to host.
    Honesly I'm looking forward to ya new logo, as right now you are infringing on copyright.
    And will you hosting be DMCA ignored?
    What plans are you looking to provide, shared hosting, VPS, dedi?
    Where will your servers be located at?

Thanked by 2ddvu bulbasaur
  • Guy sounds fishy to be honest.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

• @skorupion said:
    Honesly I'm looking forward to ya new logo, as right now you are infringing on copyright.

• ddvuddvu Member

uh oh - the good ol' switcheroo - how the turn tables...

@stevewatson301 said:

@skorupion said:

:lol:

• edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

, as right now you are infringing on copyright.

I'm not certain you're correct but happy to check with a Trademark Attorney.

Thousands here on this forum are using other's art on their Avatars not intended for commercial purposes. Same here, not using it for commercial purposes, we're selling nothing now and our own logo will be used when our business page is ready.

This is a temporary forum avatar only, not a logo for our business and I think the Attorney will likely say it's a grey area but let's see.
    (New Zealand company is in totally different business, makes marine/ocean products).

@skorupion said:

Thousands here on this forum are using other's art on their Avatars not intended for commercial purposes. Same here, not using it for commercial purposes, we're selling nothing now and our own logo will be used when our business page is ready.

This is a forum avatar only, not a logo for our business and I think the Attorney will likely say it's a grey area but let's see.

Oki, and can u answer the rest of questions?

• edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

@skorupion said:

This is a forum avatar only, not a logo for our business and I think the Attorney will likely say it's a grey area but let's see.

Oki, and can u answer the rest of questions?

At work now but can reply again late tonight. We use Hetzner Servers as well as several others.

• Trademark law is stricter than copyright law and unless authorized by the owner, you're generally only allowed to refer it when criticizing the company (think reviews etc.)

That argument might have worked if you weren't a business owner trying to represent your own business of the same name as another one, but given the present circumstances I'd say good luck trying to convince the opposing counsel.

Thanked by 1skorupion

@Offshore_Solutions said: At work now but can reply again late tonight. We use Hetzner Servers as well as several others.

So your name Doesn't make any sense now