Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with your DC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's wrong with your DC?

DataGizmosDataGizmos Member
edited March 2021 in General

Given recent events with OVH, has anyone checked any of their current DC's and can state their opinion on the deficiencies of their current DC's? There is obviously a high level of DC construction and fire technology experts on this site (most minted in the past 2 weeks). So, please apply the knowledge to other DC's and enlighten us!

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Shouldn't that be something you do before you buy a service?

• @Clouvider exactly! That's why its so impressive that many are pretending to be experts on OVH SBG but have utterly no clue about their own DC's.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Purchase a used fire extinguisher, marketing language translates to “fire suppression system.”

It’s hard to know without visiting the sites. People lie. A lot.

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited March 2021

I ask to see all inspection records of any DC I work with, then check to see if they're in compliance with state/county laws/policies. I also ask them what fire suppression agents they use, how often they do PMs (Preventative Maintenance) on their generators, fire suppression, even AC units. However I mainly colocate my hardware so I have to do quite a bit of due diligence to begin with.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03

@jar said:
    Purchase a used fire extinguisher, marketing language translates to “fire suppression system.”

It’s hard to know without visiting the sites. People lie. A lot.

That's a good point; No such thing like buying colo without a site visit!

Thanked by 1jar
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Anyone took the HostSolutions data centr tour yet?
    I hear they have state of the art fire extginshuiers.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3182313/#Comment_3182313

@cociu said:

@Edding said: any chance to get some pictures of the Oradea location ?

PS i invite any person from here to take a visit (2 days hotel +dinner will be invited) but no for the moment we are not for pictures sorry.

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited March 2021

@Clouvider said: Shouldn't that be something you do before you buy a service?

hell no. i see low price i push PAY

tbh the high density OVH's container DCs, FB, AWS's container DCs, etc aren't really the norm in 1U colo-type situations.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    1. See how much you are paying.

If it's a bottom barrel pricing = Wooden floor.
    Else = Probably something better. (Laminated wooden floor?)

Not quite accurate but that's the general flow. You pay shit, you get shit in one way or another.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • @deank said:
    1. See how much you are paying.

If it's a bottom barrel pricing = Wooden floor.
    Else = Probably something better. (Laminated wooden floor?)

Not quite accurate but that's the general flow. You pay shit, you get shit in one way or another.

This. I won't use a datacenter without proper raised flooring, fire suppression, also I won't work with anyone that's unwilling to show me proof of maintenance processes (for colocation). If you're unwilling to prove you're maintaining your facility properly, then you most likely aren't. I've only ever had one facility be unwilling to show said records, and theyre no longer in existence

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2021

But you spy. Errr, I mean spear?

Thanked by 2noen mike1s
  • If it matters, I check. But I don't host stuff that really matters with low-end providers like OVH.

I really cant understand peoples expectations. You buy from the cheapest but expect the best? That's not how it works.
    If you have data that has to be safe, no matter what, you get hosting that delivers that security. The cost of that kind of hosting is probably 100x OVH's price, but there is a reason for it.

Sure, OVH fucked up and I haven't really read all the agreements and contracts, but afaik they never promised anything that they did not keep. Or does anyone have any kind of statement from OVH that says that their DC's does not have wooden floors?

And just to make it clear. I am not in any way associated with OVH. I honestly dislike OVH and refuse to do business with them due to a long time grudge, so I cant believe I'm actually kind of defending them. I do not have many good things to say about OVH, but I really think they are getting a lot of crap they don't deserve.

• @deank said:
    But you spy. Errr, I mean spear?

I guess this is a good time to explain the name: My last name is Spears, and it's pretty damn hard to come up with a decent name nowadays. This is what I came up with. :smile:

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You could also take the “cattle, not pets” approach if your infrastructure is one that allows it. A lot easier said than done but in some use cases it works so well you could host on the roof at FDC, in a cardboard box, and laugh when it rains.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • My basement has perfect cooling, hard floor. You can put a dead body in there and it won’t rot.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • 10301030 Member

@seriesn said:
    My basement has perfect cooling, hard floor. You can put a dead body in there and it won’t rot.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said: You can put a dead body in there and it won’t rot.

How much for colocation of a dead body?

• @skorupion said: How much for colocation of a dead body?

For consumable items, we have a special discount sir.

• @seriesn said: You can put a dead body in there and it won’t rot.

Uhmmm. Lack of I think in that statement suggest that you are speaking from empirical point of view and that scares me a lot. Could you please elaborate on this story? Do we need to call 911/112?

• @JabJab said:

@seriesn said: You can put a dead body in there and it won’t rot.

Uhmmm. Lack of I think in that statement suggest that you are speaking from empirical point of view and that scares me a lot. Could you please elaborate on this story? Do we need to call 911/112?

I once found a dead mouse. That is as far as my experience goes.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • Jesus Christ, LET servers are going to be advertised with the datacenter flooring from now on. Any provider who posts an offer better include their DC flooring or the first question better be, "what's your DC flooring?"

• LeviLevi Member

Being hit twice by burning data center is the same as win a lottery. Relax, another 20 years is safe.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @deank said: If it's a bottom barrel pricing = Wooden floor.

Nowadays, wooden floors are quite premium. They look nice, feel nice and you know what? Wood is a very good insulator of heat. Explains why wood flooring is rather expensive, and if a datacenter actually used wood flooring.. I'm in.

@TimboJones said:
    Jesus Christ, LET servers are going to be advertised with the datacenter flooring from now on. Any provider who posts an offer better include their DC flooring or the first question better be, "what's your DC flooring?"

Well, things are changing. At least for the time being.
    Since the day we started business no one ever asked us about fire protection in our data centres until recently when we had a few request already..

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:
    Jesus Christ, LET servers are going to be advertised with the datacenter flooring from now on. Any provider who posts an offer better include their DC flooring or the first question better be, "what's your DC flooring?"

@Clouvider said:
    Since the day we started business no one ever asked us about fire protection in our data centres until recently when we had a few request already..

Anyone wants to start these?

• No raised flooring Hall of Damn
    • No fire suppression Hall of Flame
    Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

Anyone wants to start these?

• No raised flooring Hall of Damn
    • No fire suppression Hall of Flame

Maybe these can become pages on LEB itself, along with your IPv6 thread.

• @TimboJones said:

still better then asking for Server grade CPU/motherboard/casing/A+B PSU and/or
    IPv6