Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET.

rchurchrchurch Member
edited March 2021 in General

Dear LET advertisers, please don't use animated adverts as I simply block them.

I understand that LET has to make money and so do you, but I can't concentrate on the content when there is a giant blue banner flashing at the side of the page, and this gives me no option but to use my trusty uBlock Origin to filter all the ads, not just those of the anti-social advertisers.

So please if you want your adverts to be seen you should all agree not to animate them so I can give them my proper attention when your offers are good.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

PS. The culprits in order of annoyance are

1. Hostsailor Managed Hosting
  2. Mailbaby
  3. ServerHub - mildly tolerable

Servermania is perfectly fine. That is how the adverts should be.

Of course if after seeing them we are not interested, then I guess it makes no difference to you whether we block them or not.

Comments

• Really, that small little flashy banner is blocking you from concentrating?

• Yeah if that flashing ad is messing up your concentration - it ain't the ad that is at fault :-)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Of course if after seeing them we are not interested, then I guess it makes no difference to you whether we block them or not.

• That's some hardcore ADD shit right there.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @serv_ee said: That's some hardcore ADD shit right there.

Of course if after seeing them we are not interested, then I guess it makes no difference whether we block them or not, so we might as well block them and focus on the content.

• darbdarb Member

WOW I generally refrain from trashing people, but that is sure one big snowflake issue.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur BlaZe
  • LeeLee Veteran

@rchurch said: I can't concentrate on the content when there is a giant blue banner flashing at the side of the page

Guess they are successful then.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • I will admit, the HostSailor one is mildly annoying, but it's not horrible.

Thanked by 2skorous maverickp
  • ddvuddvu Member

oops my bad. guilty as charged.

perhaps LET can offer premium accounts without banner ads?

I am not so keen in logged in / active community members as I can have a thread here for that, but more keen on guest visits anyways :)

• LeeLee Veteran

@ddvu said: perhaps LET can offer premium accounts without banner ads?

If they annoy them block them. No need for Premium (aka paid) accounts.

Thanked by 1Rambler
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

Hmm time to make the most annoying ad.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I never noticed the animated ads until seeing this thread.
    Anyway, let me add one:

push-ups

Thanked by 2bulbasaur SirFoxy
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2021

Another fucking snowflake that thinks, that LET runs with holy energy and good intentions.

@jbiloh How much would it cost to setup an annoying flashing 150x150px advertisement on side bar which says "Made just for rchurch cause he fucking loves this". It would point to this thread.

I'd like to inquire about the monthly price.

Thanked by 3bulbasaur caracal BlaZe
  • $150 if I recall correctly.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2021

@serv_ee said:
    $150 if I recall correctly.

125x125 is $100 I wonder if they allow swear words and LET thread links? It suddenly feels like a damn good investment after reading the original post of this thread.

• can't see any ads from curl.

• @stefeman said:
    125x125 is $100 I wonder if they allow swear words and LET thread links? It suddenly feels like a damn good investment after reading the original post of this thread.

I'd chip in a buck or two

• Have you thought of upgrading to LowEndTalk Prime? You get your first 30 days free if you sign up today.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@klikli said:
    Have you thought of upgrading to LowEndTalk Prime? You get your first 30 days free if you sign up today.

How many push-ups for prime?

• FaiziFaizi Member

@jmgcaguicla said:

@stefeman said:

I'd chip in a buck or two

Count me in.

• cociucociu Member

i hate te frog ! have problem with my little girl for this.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited March 2021

Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here on Lowendtalk in which so many people lack critical thinking skills. All I see here are bunch of whiny insecure teenagers who would rather die than be excluded from the cool gang at school, the kind Soph likes to trash so much.

The PMS and sister jokes are so trite, corny, sexist, puerile and infantile and I can't tell for the life of me why the moderators allow them to continue, but that is for another topic in itself. Do those who make such jokes ever consider that some the readers and participants in the forum may be women?

Getting back to the adverts. The same 4 adverts have been showing for so long with no change, unless the LET ad algorithms has chosen them for specially for me.

If I am not interested what point is there in allowing them to disturb me?

There is a reason for adblocking software and some people use it not because they dislike adverts but because they are too distracting and some advertisers can't help injecting nefarious Javascript into them.

Do some of you guys read newspapers at all? When you read a newspaper do you need flashy adverts to attract your attention? Of course you don't, so why does the Internet industry have this stupid notion that readers like garish, flashy distracting ads? I actually read more adverts on newspapers than on the web because they allow you to focus on the content, then turn to the adverts when you are ready. LETers should try them once in while.

With adblocking software it is so easy to get rid of these annoyances, which is why adverts shouldn't be annoying. They are just counterproductive.

Dudes need to give up this "fearful of not being part of the cool gang" mentality and simply grow up. Your school teenager years are over.

@LETAdmin, animated ads are fine, but the transitions shouldn't be too flashy. A slow transition in an advert is better than a quick jarring one.

@rchurch said:
    Getting back to the adverts. The same 4 adverts have been showing for so long with no change, unless the LET ad algorithms has chosen them for specially for me.

Hint: browse on a mobile phone. There are only two ads. They are flashy but at the bottom, so you'll barely see them when you are reading the content.

• Its time for LET+ ($7 yearly subscription)

• How do you concentrate on p***hub?

• LeviLevi Member

Poor OP, he opened pandora box.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

@rchurch said:

It's not gonna change, stay mad

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:
    Poor OP, he opened pandora box.

just a weeee bit.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited March 2021

@rchurch said: Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here on Lowendtalk in which so many people lack critical thinking skills. All I see here are bunch of whiny insecure teenagers who would rather die than be excluded from the cool gang at school, the kind Soph likes to trash so much.

Frankly I don't understand why every other day people open threads claiming that everybody didn't like this or that, xy wouldn't be welcome on LET and so on.

If you personally feel offended by anything, block it and move on. But don't force your opinion upon others and pretend to be surprised when it backfires.

• noted animated banner are too flashy for the eyes and are distracting. But when on LET, I rather ignore right-side of the page where the banners are shown!

Thanked by 1yoursunny