Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING: Avoid Ubuntu 11.10 (mainly for providers).
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WARNING: Avoid Ubuntu 11.10 (mainly for providers).

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited March 2012 in General

Known bug in Ubuntu 11.10 causes the init process to max out the available CPU until the VPS is shutdown. We disabled the template in SolusVM but some clients have been manually upgrading causing us to keep an eye on top. Just a heads up.

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 1 root 25 0 2880 1488 1240 R 99.9 0.6 2:17.71 init

More info:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bug/880049

Comments

• Thanks for the heads-up.

• @KuJoe and what you're doing if someone upgrades?

• I've read somewhere (maybe here?) About this issue. And there is a workaround already.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We ended up patching init to get around this little issue. It's possible to just pass RW access to /dev/console to fix the issue as well :)

Francisco

• So... Ubuntu SUCKS! :D

Debian fanboy here xDDDD (again)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@OneTwo said: @KuJoe and what you're doing if someone upgrades?

We shutdown the VPS and open a ticket.

@yomero said: And there is a workaround already.

From what I've read the workaround is not recommended by the Ubuntu devs. If a client wants to do this they may but we won't be offering 11.10 until it's patched.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@DotVPS said: It happens

You're letting it happen? You make it sound like that.

• flyfly Member

wats up with people using ubuntu for servers? whats so great about it? why not just use debian?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@kbar said: wats up with people using ubuntu for servers? whats so great about it? why not just use debian?

I share that opinion. However from a providers point of view, a client is a client, as long as they're not abusing etc. they can use Ubuntu if they want :P Well of course not this version of Ubuntu.

• @kbar said: wats up with people using ubuntu for servers? whats so great about it? why not just use debian?

Ubuntu is much more up-to-date with the packages, so it's really great when you want to run the latest versions of software. But it also needs updates all the time :S

• AdamAdam Member
    edited March 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: @kbar said: wats up with people using ubuntu for servers? whats so great about it? why not just use debian?

Ubuntu is much more up-to-date with the packages, so it's really great when you want to run the latest versions of software. But it also needs updates all the time :S

And the number of ppa's (packages) available makes it attractive for those who don't wish to compile from source.
    But yes I do agree that Ubuntu has it's place on a desktop, and not a server.

• I've also noticed that on KVM my Ubuntu 11.10 vps use 0.01 to 0.05 load when the same software setup on Debian 6 or any previous version of Ubuntu will sit at 0.0 .

Its not much but added up over hundreds of customers it probably amounts to something.

• fanfan Veteran

wats up with people using ubuntu for servers? whats so great about it? why not just use debian?

Ubuntu is based on Debian and with some improvements on that, it's easier to manage IMO, also PPA for Ubuntu is great resource for software packages, if you read the usage of OS published by Linode you'll see Ubuntu's share is quite impressive.

I've also noticed that on KVM my Ubuntu 11.10 vps use 0.01 to 0.05 load when the same software setup on Debian 6 or any previous version of Ubuntu will sit at 0.0 .

Its not much but added up over hundreds of customers it probably amounts to something.

Same for me, I reverted to Ubuntu 11.04 which is more stable for me. I guess the problem is on the latest kernel of version 3?

• yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
    edited March 2012

This worked for me

"I found another workaround which do not involve patching : simply delete /dev/console in the VE and replace it with a plain file."

You can make a script that does that, am i right?

• tuxtux Member

@yomero said: I've read somewhere (maybe here?) About this issue. And there is a workaround already.

Yes, there is workaround. Downgrade upstart to earlier version.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@tux said: Yes, there is workaround. Downgrade upstart to earlier version.

:P

I am also using Debian, at least for the real workhorses. Nothing against Ubuntu but I feel Debian has better control over packages, lower footprint and is more stable.
    If I need something more uptodate, CentOS is OK and for desktops I go with openSUSE.
    I know quite a few ppl that use Ubuntu tho, but they use it for desktop, havent heard of anyone to use it for a server (unless we count their desktop which has also LAMP, FTP, Samba or something along those lines).
    It makes perfect sense for someone to get a VPS and use it with something they know best, so I guess Ubuntu will continue to have it's share in this particular area. It is just unfortunate for that bug, but CentOS had worse bugs, some images with CentOS 5 are still buggy out there, but since it doesnt affect the node's load and stability, it is not a concern for providers.
    M

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@fan said: I guess the problem is on the latest kernel of version 3?

We've experienced this for OpenVZ so it's using the OpenVZ kernel (and not the latest one either).

• AsimAsim Member

hmm, I have most of my VMs running on Ubuntu 11.10 but the 'uptime' shows no load for me, probably it displays something in virt-top?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up

• @Asim said: hmm, I have most of my VMs running on Ubuntu 11.10 but the 'uptime' shows no load for me, probably it displays something in virt-top?

IIRC do you hate OpenVZ xD So, this is only for this kind of virtualization.

• Lots of 11.10 guests and a couple of nodes running fine without this issue. All on KVM.

I'll keep an eye out.