Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source Control Panel Closest to cPanel?

Comments

• fbmyfbmy Member

@jvnadr said:

Have never tried this panel. It is a closed source one, it costs a lot (If I would install a paid panel I would go either with DirectAdmin for a hosting company or Webuzo for personal minimum sites server) and in the demo, does not seem to be something extraordinary.

There is a saying, don't judge first from the cover.
    You should try ApisCP first, whether the control panel you recommend has magic like ApisCP?.

The magic comes once you price out third-party licenses that are core features of ApisCP.

1. Softaculous ($1/month) already built into ApisCP’s Web App module.

2. CloudLinux ($10/month) already built into ApisCP. All accounts are jailed to synthetic roots, a feature of ApisCP since its birth in 2002. Resource enforcement, just like in CloudLinux, is powered by cgroups - a native kernel feature.

3. Immunify360 ($45/month) Malware scrubs, DDoS prevention are managed through Rampart in ApisCP. A mod_security hook filters file uploads and sends an alert to block offending IPs.

4. MailChannels ($79/month) - or any smart-host. If you have enough servers and enough diversity in mail, ApisCP can communicate over an rspamd cluster that provides excellent spam mitigation. Clustering is a turnkey feature in Bootstrapper.

Regarding security, ApisCP also received a recommendation from Racks911labs https://rack911labs.ca/research/security-analysis-of-alternative-control-panels/

• edited March 2021

@jvnadr said:

Have never tried this panel. It is a closed source one, it costs a lot.

You would think ApisCP would be a closed source panel because it's commercially sold, and yet they have released the source code so it's Open Source.

What might be the reasons for a proprietary commercial control panel to release their code? Perhaps only the core of ApisCP is released and all the important addons that replace Cloudlinux, Softaculous, etc, are closed?

Won't some just use an open-source panel like ApisCP without paying?

Take a look:

@nem said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: Has ApisCP released their code?

Yup.

• @fbmy said: There is a saying, don't judge first from the cover.

Mea Culpa, even if the first thing I said is that I have never used this panel and I was judging only from Demo. I will try the one month offer soon, to have a better opinion myself. In any case, the recommendation of Rack911 is really nice.

• ApisCP is an excellent panel with amazing features built in. There is a steep learning curve if you are considering moving from CPanel to this and you will need to make use of their help docs extensively.

Thanked by 1nem
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

I got this from one of the mods in ApisCP discord yesterday:

"Either way, ApisCP is built for SysAdmins, if you aren't one, it might be a bit more complicated than you can handle."

That's quite a requirement :) On the contrary @nem , the lead dev, is not so demanding to his customers. He is helping in every way possible. I doubt you could get at least similar level of free support anywhere else.

Thanked by 1nem
  • @vero said:

"Either way, ApisCP is built for SysAdmins, if you aren't one, it might be a bit more complicated than you can handle."

That's quite a requirement :) On the contrary @nem , the lead dev, is not so demanding to his customers. He is helping in every way possible. I doubt you could get at least similar level of free support anywhere else.

To be honest, if you aren’t a sysadmin, you shouldn’t be selling web hosting, unless you have a sysadmin

@seriesn said:
    To be honest, if you aren’t a sysadmin, you shouldn’t be selling web hosting, unless you have a sysadmin

How do you know when you become one?

• @vero said:

@seriesn said:

When you can google instead opening a let thread 😂😂

@seriesn said:

Google search "How do you know when you become sysadmin" doesn't give definite answer.

• @seriesn said:

@vero said:

@seriesn said:

FULLY QUALIFIED.

• @SmallWeb said:

@seriesn said:

@vero said:

@seriesn said:

FULLY QUALIFIED.

SmallBytes Certified

Thanked by 1MichaelCee

Still don't understand - if you're kind of fully certified sysadmin, dafuq you'd want to run nonsense like (shared) web hosting? If you are selling web panel to people who want to run nonsense like (shared) web hosting, dafuq you require them to be sysadmins? Nonsense in terms of return, unless whole business arranged somewhat smart, but - sysadmins are usually not creative enough in business development and they simply do not have time for that if they want to be fully qualified/certified, and if they are constantly improving their skills, what they must.

Yes, the answer is to hire sysadmin. But dafuq you'd do that and how you would manage to pay him if you're running nonsense like (shared) web hosting?

Those control panels for $1-2/month are so tempting for everyone, why would you require only sysadmins or people who hire sysadmins to buy them? Why the f**k you, as servant of main developer, even mention that? To tell someone to go way if that one asks for support (I didn't, at least that particular mod)?

• fbmyfbmy Member

that's what I gave @nem advice to make video tutorials.
    ApisCP is excellent, please make it easy for people to learn.
    sometimes Docs just isn't enough.

edited March 2021

@fbmy said:
    that's what I gave @nem advice to make video tutorials.
    ApisCP is excellent, please make it easy for people to learn.
    sometimes Docs just isn't enough.

Right. I don't like video tutorials myself, but the more information is available in any form, the better. I feel like we must give more feedback and tell what exactly we don't understand there, as devs look bit differently at things :)

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@fbmy said:
    You should try ApisCP first, whether the control panel you recommend has magic like ApisCP?

And don't forget WP Toolkit. Cloning, snapshots, renames, SSO, "AI updates" (a/k/a just checking page size + status codes) all inclusive. :)

@Offshore_Solutions said: You would think ApisCP would be a closed source panel because it's commercially sold, and yet they have released the source code so it's Open Source.

Disclosing source does two things: (1) it fosters trust by exposing quality for better or worse; (2) if things do break, it's much easier to track down the root cause. This helps me troubleshoot issues from afar with users. Before ApisCP I used Ensim. Ensim's continuous bugs and closed-source platform is what pushed me to create APNSCP, as it was called back then. Blackbox system administration is a terrible way to manage a business. All FOSS is available on GitHub. Panel core itself is not FOSS, but open source.

@vero said:

Not everyone who uses ApisCP is a sysop; in fact I'm seeing quite a bit of digital agencies come from RunCloud and GridPane. As ApisCP continues to evolve it'll become more accessible, but to cover my rear and not raise expectations - as ApisCP is far from where I want it to be - "yes".

Sysops have a great communication, mostly rhythmic grunts and ughs, that makes it easy to quickly locate problems in the platform. If someone who isn't a sysop picks it up and loves it, then perfect :)

@fbmy said: ApisCP is excellent, please make it easy for people to learn.

That's in the next stage of growth. Having a solid foundation makes it much easier to grow. Docs solve an immediate problem, but not a long-term one. Next release provides app tours/onboarding that can be added through application.yml. We'll see how this improves usage, then continue to refine the process based on feedback.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2021

@vero said:
    Still don't understand - if you're kind of fully certified sysadmin, dafuq you'd want to run nonsense like (shared) web hosting? If you are selling web panel to people who want to run nonsense like (shared) web hosting, dafuq you require them to be sysadmins? Nonsense in terms of return, unless whole business arranged somewhat smart, but - sysadmins are usually not creative enough in business development and they simply do not have time for that if they want to be fully qualified/certified, and if they are constantly improving their skills, what they must.

Yes, the answer is to hire sysadmin. But dafuq you'd do that and how you would manage to pay him if you're running nonsense like (shared) web hosting?

Those control panels for $1-2/month are so tempting for everyone, why would you require only sysadmins or people who hire sysadmins to buy them? Why the f**k you, as servant of main developer, even mention that? To tell someone to go way if that one asks for support (I didn't, at least that particular mod)?

I think the simplest answer is,

If you are running webhosting as a business, either you should know what you are doing or have someone accessible who knows what you are doing.

Panel is for the end users, who is paying you to host their site/app yadayada.

Can't imagine a car repair shop being ran by someone who doesn't even know how to change a tire.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur lentro

@seriesn said:

If you are running webhosting as a business, either you should know what you are doing or have someone accessible who knows what you are doing.

It might be the answer, but not to what I wrote.

"If you are running webhosting as a business" already presumes that one knows what he is doing.

Actually you didn't get a single thought from my post. Just writing because of writing. Yadayada.

• @vero said:

@seriesn said:

"If you are running webhosting as a business" already presumes that one knows what he is doing.

Actually you didn't get a single thought from my post. Just writing because of writing. Yadayada.

Probably got lost in translation? Shit happens.

@seriesn said:

Just don't get lost in web hosting. To teach anyone, some basis, good understanding of circumstances, the subject and appropriate moral after making adequate conclusions are desirable. Just telling something to someone may get lost in translations or return via undefined caliber.

Everything is fine overall, boss.

• @vero said:

@seriesn said:

Just don't get lost in web hosting. To teach anyone, some basis, good understanding of circumstances, the subject and appropriate moral after making adequate conclusions are desirable. Just telling something to someone may get lost in translations or return via undefined caliber.

Everything is fine overall, boss.

You do you boss. Arguing for the sake of argument isn't my cup of tea. Cheers.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions

Viva la sysadmins.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • @vero said:

@seriesn said:

You wrote you have no idea why some things were done in a cunty way and then expected a thoughtful response. GTFO. I couldn't understand your point other to make it sound like shared hosting is beneath you, again, in a cunty way.

I mean, you ask basic questions of why one seeks employment, but if you actually fucking cared to know, you'd think about it instead of asking.

Thanked by 2seriesn bulbasaur

@TimboJones said:
    I couldn't understand your point other to make it sound like shared hosting is beneath you, again, in a cunty way.

I mean, you ask basic questions of why one seeks employment, but if you actually fucking cared to know, you'd think about it instead of asking.

Yes yes. We are all super lazy to think and often struggling to understand, thus I forgive you for an anger you expressed.

• @vero said:

@TimboJones said:
    I couldn't understand your point other to make it sound like shared hosting is beneath you, again, in a cunty way.

Yes yes. We are all super lazy to think and often struggling to understand, thus I forgive you for an anger you expressed.

To borrow from you, dafuq? That wasn't anger, that was clarification. The only one needing forgiveness is you from seriesn for being a cunt.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @TimboJones said:

@vero said:

@TimboJones said:

To borrow from you, dafuq? That wasn't anger, that was clarification. The only one needing forgiveness is you from seriesn for being a cunt.

All is well. This is LET :).

Thanked by 2TimboJones Egyarmy
    edited March 2021

The whole new story emerged from half not understanding and half misinterpreting what I've said. Very similar how Christianity was born. And now we're at the stage where some witches must be burned. That's an infinite loop for some religious people, regrettably.

Open your eyes. It's fine to defend a boyfriend/just friend/someone who just can't defend himself/, but it's far more better to understand when there's no actual threat. But to understand that, I guess, my text must be interpreted correctly first, which is unattainable for some. And the loop begins.

No offence was meant, but If I don't like something, I say that.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2021

@vero said: someone who just can't defend himself

@vero trying pickup fight with every other random person you meet online isn't going to compensate you for whatever love you lack in your life. Seriously, for once, try to contribute something meaningful to a single thread instead of shit posting with a provider tag and moaning about everything in life.

I told you once, I am not interested in arguing with you for the sake of argument and you should have respected that wish. I have given you the courtesy of treating you like an adult. I really have 0 interest in arguing with you and I would appreciate you if you don't keep on poking around. Be an adult and move on.

Thanks.

That was reply to @TimboJones , not to you @seriesn . Your wish was respected 100%. Stop being so sensitive you both. No one is fighting. Perhaps I had slightly bad mood that day, but I wrote exactly what I wanted, just in unusual form and you misinterpreted; then all this BS began. Now it's just funny to watch how you both react to random pieces of text.

Don't have to like me (just ignore me, if you can) and accept things soberly. It usually takes more than one person to argue and since no one is inviting anyone to duel, there must be some circumstances, which bring those arguing people together. May it be shit posting with providers tag in same thread?

Say what you want, I'm out of this thread, won't even read it. Let's just stop it.

• I'm down for a scrap! Let's go.

• @seriesn said:

@vero said: someone who just can't defend himself

Did not expect Michelle. Diet coke came out my nose as I snort laughed loudly in the pub. You win the Internet for the day.

Thanked by 1seriesn