Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• @lentro said: Guess a good fire suppression system would have costed a fraction of that!

Let's not be too quick in blaming their fire suppression system -- there are photos on Twitter which allegedly show a datacenter in Roubaix that had wooden floors. My money is on poor architectural decisions and a lack of staff well trained on fire prevention and safety.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • dosaidosai Member

Update 4pm
    We plan to restart SBG1+SBG4+the network by Monday March,15 and SBG3 by Friday March,19.

In RBX+GRA we have the stock of new servers, pcc, pci ready to be delivered for all the impacted customers. Of course for free. We will add 10K servers in the next 3-4 weeks.

• Also, the discussion on HN has some good content, if anyone's interested:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26407323

• verovero Member, Host Rep

Was it data center in Russia or Brazil?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I believe it was on Earth. Their luna DC is safe.

• drivexdrivex Member
    edited March 2021

@dosai said:

Update 4pm
    We plan to restart SBG1+SBG4+the network by Monday March,15 and SBG3 by Friday March,19.

In RBX+GRA we have the stock of new servers, pcc, pci ready to be delivered for all the impacted customers. Of course for free. We will add 10K servers in the next 3-4 weeks.

That's a real desaster for them. Half of a week to more than a full week to bring the other DCs (especially SBG 3 & 4) back online, which aren't destroyed at all. I guess 3 + 4 are relying on the infrastructure of SBG-1 and 2 and don't have much redundancy. At least Oles is great at communicating through these though times.

My assumption is that there was only one staff at the entrance. I guess he was dozing off and noticed the fire too late.

By time the fire trucks got there, it was too late.

• It must be story time. Lets aggregate all the random stories people are telling in this thread and elsewhere.

Indeed, time to make this thread 100+ pages long.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • BURN❗

• @deank said:
    My assumption is that there was only one staff at the entrance. I guess he was dozing off and noticed the fire too late.

By time the fire trucks got there, it was too late.

We get it. Someone in OVH's support hurt your feelings. Might want to let it go, stress isn't good for your health.

The same is said to you.

I get it, OVH is your precious, and it seems I am trolling its image. Might want to let it go, stress ain't good for your mental health.

• @corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Appears like it, mine's off too haha.
    Glad I havent put anything too important on it yet, whether it's the real cause or not.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 2021

@deank said:
    The same is said to you.

I get it, OVH is your precious, and it seems I am trolling its image. Might want to let it go, stress ain't good for your mental health.

I dont even have any servers with OVH, that's where you're wrong.

But being glad some DC catches fire...yeah.

• @deank The end is already here isn't it ?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
    edited March 2021

@serv_ee said:
    I dont even have any servers with OVH, that's where you're wrong.

Don't know whether you haven't got it, so I guess I need to spell it out for you.

I am a troll. My title is right next to my username. I thrive in chaos and fear.

LET has been feeling dead for so long. It's been extremely mundane. No drama or whatsoever.

Finally, there is one, so I must make a good use of it.

@momkin said:
    @deank The end is already here isn't it ?

The end is fucking nigh, indeed!

• @MikeA i hope your business is not that impacted. Good luck if you have to deal with this!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2021

This is the most heartbreaking to see: https://twitter.com/Skunnyk/status/1369638092810895366

Last minutes of a server, which took care of reporting its temperature monitoring alert until the very end.

@serv_ee said:

Gotcha. You're Lithuanian, right? Because I don't know any other country which has saying like "happy, because neighbour's house is on fire". We should make today the national holiday. We already have one tomorrow, so it would fit perfectly.

Thanked by 1AlbaHost
  • Sad. I am happy I have cloud servers in OVH UK DC and have Acronis backups in a different UK DC.

I would never have thought it could have done so much damage and so fast. Geez.

Good all staff got out. If we can help anyone with a temporary hosting service, let us know.

@vero said:

@serv_ee said:

Gotcha. You're Lithuanian, right?

He is a Korean if my memories are correct.

@deank said:

@vero said:

@serv_ee said:

Gotcha. You're Lithuanian, right?

He is a Korean if my memories are correct.

Oh.. A distant brother nation..

• xaocxaoc Member

Dafuq are you people smoking? :/

I can sort of see why a Korean dislikes me for liking disasters.

• fkjfkj Member

@lentro said:
    (they are trying to IPO. Guess a good fire suppression system would have costed a fraction of that!)

No fire suppression system is highly unlikely. Since they are already in pre-IPO process, without those systems, they will have to write down fire as a risk. I highly doubt the stock exchange will approve their application, since fire control is too basic for a DC.

More likely, there's suppression system, unfortunately it just didn't work.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal lentro

@fkj said:

More likely, there's suppression system, unfortunately it just didn't work.

Not all countries have access to running water.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

That is a hard one. Was told like 300k clients in that DC.

No fire suppression system

I hope they had insurance on the building.

• OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited March 2021

The status subdomains of ovh.com and ovh.net are indeed a pity as those are not relevant anymore for at least 1 1/2 years. Look at travaux.ovh.net if you need any decent information. And no I don't understand how OVH is not doing a redirect for those status. subs esp. since they link to it in their footer. But that is just a sidenote and not important today...