Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

connect to multiple remote servers concurrently
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

connect to multiple remote servers concurrently

I have a computer with multiple screens and would like to dedicate each screen to connect to a distinct distant VPS/server.

Is it possible to launch multiple instances of Windows RDP at the same time in order to achieve the purpose of connecting to multiple remote machines in parallel ?

If not, any other softwares which would allow me to achieve this goal ? Thanks

Comments

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Mazzy_Blast said: multiple instances of Windows RDP

Have you tried?

Thanked by 1Mazzy_Blast
  • If you try I am pretty sure you will succeed :)

Thanked by 2lentro Mazzy_Blast
  • You can also use something like mRemoteNG https://mremoteng.org/

Thanked by 1Mazzy_Blast
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@lentro said: Have you tried?

@datasteady said: If you try I am pretty sure you will succeed

Thanked by 2lentro vero
  • Holy hand holding shit.

• ApeWebApeWeb Member, Host Rep

Windows rdp will only allow you to connect to one system at a time. You can open multiple vnc and I think chrome remote desktop tabs at once though.

• LeviLevi Member

RoyalTS allows multiple instances of RDP. Just like chrome tabs.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@ApeWeb said:
    Windows rdp will only allow you to connect to one system at a time.

No, you can connect to multiple systems at once. Well, at least I can.

• @TimboJones said:
    Holy hand holding shit.

This thread is making me irrationally mad

• @ApeWeb said:

No. Just open another rdp, whats the problem?

@rcy026 said:

@ApeWeb said:

No. Just open another rdp, whats the problem?

Last time I tried windows wouldn't let you open multiple rdp client sessions. Maybe it has changed.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

@ApeWeb said:
    Last time I tried windows wouldn't let you open multiple rdp client sessions. Maybe it has changed.

Language barrier maybe.

If you're referring to multiple RDP sessions (remoting to) using the same user on the same machine then no Windows doesn't do that, you can have concurrent sessions using different users though; but if you want screen sharing then RDP doesn't cut it.

In the really odd case that you're really talking about not being able to remote to different machines from a single Windows machine then you probably should stop smoking what you're smoking.

Thanked by 2lentro TimboJones
  • @ApeWeb said:
    Last time I tried windows wouldn't let you open multiple rdp client sessions.

To the same machine/VM as the same user, no. To the same machine/VM as different users, it depends on your Windows license. From a machine to many different machines: that has always been possible (at least since RDP became a thing).

Maybe it has changed.

If we are reading your post correctly it would have taken no longer to try as it took to type the question, which is why people are a touch flabbergasted.

Thanked by 2lentro TimboJones

To the same machine/VM as the same user, no. To the same machine/VM as different users, it depends on your Windows license. From a machine to many different machines: that has always been possible (at least since RDP became a thing).

Rdp is not something I regularly use and I haven't tried to connect to multiple servers from one machine for a long time but from memory it wouldn't let you launch multiple sessions at once. Maybe I am wrong though.

Maybe it has changed.

If we are reading your post correctly it would have taken no longer to try as it took to type the question, which is why people are a touch flabbergasted.

I dont use Windows.

• @ApeWeb said:
    I dont use Windows.

In that case then answer to

Is it possible to launch multiple instances of Windows RDP at the same time

is no. The Windows RDP client runs under Windows, so if you are not running Windows you can't run one instance of the Windows RDP client never mind multiple.

Unless the question is asking what RDP client to use on a different OS, but that didn't seem to be what you were asking and if it was you didn't state the OS and we are not clairvoyant enough to be able to guess.

You may need to be much more clear about what you are asking, in order to get an answer that you find useful.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:
    In the really odd case that you're really talking about not being able to remote to different machines from a single Windows machine then you probably should stop smoking what you're smoking.

@ApeWeb said:
    Rdp is not something I regularly use and I haven't tried to connect to multiple servers from one machine for a long time but from memory it wouldn't let you launch multiple sessions at once. Maybe I am wrong though.

RDP always allowed you to connect to multiple (distinct) windows machines ever since dinosaurs roamed the earth. So it was the second case, pass that shit brother.

• @ApeWeb said:

I think you are. Connecting to multiple servers has never been an issue with rdp.