Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to I know if I'm reaching the IO limit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to I know if I'm reaching the IO limit?

nfnnfn Veteran

Hi

How do I correctly measure the max IO and how do I know if I'm near it's limit?

Comments

• Blast it, if it gets suspended you're at/near the limit.

Thanked by 2JasonM WebProject
  • @nfn said:
    Hi

Max IO limit of what? Could you try providing less information next time? /s

Thanked by 1jsg
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

iotop command can give you some clue, but it's difficult to quantify I/O precisely.

@VirMach is the only provider I used that has a strict I/O limit. I hope they can write two paragraphs about how we are supposed to measure it.

Thanked by 2gazmull Erisa
  • If you are using cPanel, it will show you the graph and table about hitting max I/O.

• nfnnfn Veteran

Sorry for not being clear.

I have a VPS that runs on SAS, so disk speed is lower than SSD/NVMe.

What tools should I run and what metrics should I read to measure correctly the IO that the disk support and if I'm near it's limit, before start seeing some relevant performance degradation.

• FalzoFalzo Member

any live monitoring should do. watch out for IO-wait.

measuring the max performance can be done with fio. keep in mind that there are at least two things to factor in on the IO capacity - one being the raw IOps and the other one being the highest possible transferrate for the interface/connection of your storage.

that's why you want to measure IO with different blocksizes to simulate workload with lots of small files/data which will rather be limited by IOps as such vs workload with large files/blocks, more likely limited by bandwidth than IOps.

if you look at that and then somehow can describe your real-life workload, you should get an idea, of what you can do and how much breathing room you have.
    I remember your other topic and guess you are still not convinced about SAS not being a problem though ;-)

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@Falzo said: I remember your other topic and guess you are still not convinced about SAS not being a problem thoug

I kept the SAS since it has a very good performance atm, hopping to see what easter promos have to show!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • rcxbrcxb Member

Command you most likely want is:

iostat -xm 1

You may also be interested in disk I/O benchmark tools like bonnie++, filebench, sysbench, or even pv.

To get performance history on your system, try:

sar -A

• @TimboJones said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Max IO limit of what? Could you try providing less information next time? /s

Max IO limit how?