Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to VPS - Would this plan suffice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New to VPS - Would this plan suffice?

I'm thinking of getting this plan from Racknerd.
Would this suffice to run a new Wordpress website?

I am currently on shared hosting. My current provider is incredibly slow.

LEB NEW YEAR - 2GB KVM Flash Sale

3x vCPU Core
25GB SSD Cached RAID-10 Storage
2GB RAM
3000GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
1Gbps Public Network Port
Full Root Admin Access
1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
KVM / SolusVM Control Panel - Reboot, Reinstall, Manage rDNS, & much more
JUST $21.80/YEAR - WOW!!

Comments

• Who's your current shared hosting provider? There's a chance their servers might be overloaded, and you don't actually need a VPS. Keep in mind that there's extra management required for VPS hosting.

• MisterChewMisterChew Member
    edited March 2021

@SWN_Michael said:
    Who's your current shared hosting provider? There's a chance their servers might be overloaded, and you don't actually need a VPS. Keep in mind that there's extra management required for VPS hosting.

Here's a link to my current provider.
    https://buywebhosting.ca/#pricing

I have their BHW3 plan.

The admin dashboard is so slow that it's difficult for me to even work on my site. I have about 12 plugins active currently.

I am on PHP 7.4

• AAWP
    • Akismet Anti-Spam
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • Essential Addons for Elementor
    • Essential Addons for Elementor - Pro
    • iThemes Security
    • LiteSpeed Cache
    • Rank Math SEO
    • Recent Posts Widget With Thumbnails
    • Social Icons Widget & Block by WPZOOM
    • UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore
  • @MisterChew said:

@SWN_Michael said:
    Who's your current shared hosting provider? There's a chance their servers might be overloaded, and you don't actually need a VPS. Keep in mind that there's extra management required for VPS hosting.

I have their BHW3 plan.

The admin dashboard is so slow that it's difficult for me to even work on my site. I have about 15 plugins active currently.

I am on PHP 7.4

• AAWP
    • Akismet Anti-Spam
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • iThemes Security
    • LiteSpeed Cache
    • Rank Math SEO
    • Thrive Leads

How many visitors a month, and what theme are you using? That doesn't seem crazy, just looking at plugins alone.

• @SWN_Michael said:

@MisterChew said:

@SWN_Michael said:

I have their BHW3 plan.

The admin dashboard is so slow that it's difficult for me to even work on my site. I have about 15 plugins active currently.

I am on PHP 7.4

• AAWP
    • Akismet Anti-Spam
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • iThemes Security
    • LiteSpeed Cache
    • Rank Math SEO
    • Thrive Leads

How many visitors a month, and what theme are you using? That doesn't seem crazy, just looking at plugins alone.

New site. No traffic. GeneratePress.

• @MisterChew said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@MisterChew said:

@SWN_Michael said:

I have their BHW3 plan.

I am on PHP 7.4

• AAWP
    • Akismet Anti-Spam
    • Elementor
    • Elementor Pro
    • iThemes Security
    • LiteSpeed Cache
    • Rank Math SEO
    • Thrive Leads

New site. No traffic. GeneratePress.

Your host is the problem, not shared hosting. I'm more expensive then a lot of the providers here, but I not only own my hardware, but keep a very close eye on server performance, and upgrade hardware as needed. https://spearwarenetworks.com/web-hosting/

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Whilst the host might be the problem, I've seen new WordPress sites (ie, no visitors) be slow on dedicated hardware due to poor theme coding/plugins. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to slow wordpress down, and while moving hosts might help slightly, ultimately with the right theme and plugin setup wordpress can be fast.

I can't comment on each specific plugin youve listed but without turning this into a "how to speed up wordpress" thread, there's more to wordpress speed than just who you choose as a host.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    Whilst the host might be the problem, I've seen new WordPress sites (ie, no visitors) be slow on dedicated hardware due to poor theme coding/plugins. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to slow wordpress down, and while moving hosts might help slightly, ultimately with the right theme and plugin setup wordpress can be fast.

I can't comment on each specific plugin youve listed but without turning this into a "how to speed up wordpress" thread, there's more to wordpress speed than just who you choose as a host.

His plugin loadout isn't crazy, nor is that a poorly coded theme, so I doubt it's wordpress.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@SWN_Michael said: His plugin loadout isn't crazy, nor is that a poorly coded theme, so I doubt it's wordpress

Yeah it doesn't look too bad but I've not got experience with each plugin - my point was more along the lines of "if the default wp install before any plugins/themes was slow, it's the host - if it was fast before adding theme/plugins then it needs optimisation anyway" - even if you move.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Mr_Tom said:

@SWN_Michael said: His plugin loadout isn't crazy, nor is that a poorly coded theme, so I doubt it's wordpress

Yeah it doesn't look too bad but I've not got experience with each plugin - my point was more along the lines of "if the default wp install before any plugins/themes was slow, it's the host - if it was fast before adding theme/plugins then it needs optimisation anyway" - even if you move.

Gotcha. I see what you're saying now.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2021

@MisterChew said:

3x vCPU Core
    2GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    JUST $21.80/YEAR - WOW!!

Not here to hawk my service.

That’s a pretty solid spec. You will benefit from having access to multiple cores/thread and decent memory.

Take a look into centminmod fit simple and effortless server setup. Default setups are good and tweak as you need. No such thing as perfect configuration.

Take a look into csf for firewall.

Be good with google.

Keep backup. Always keep backup.

All the best :)

• If you do go with a VPS, make sure to lock it down and ensure it's secure. Look at centminmod or Keyhelp to help manage it.

• Depends on how big your traffic is and what plugins are installed. But for a small to moderate site, this plan should be more than enough.

• @MisterChew said:

3x vCPU Core
    2GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    JUST $21.80/YEAR - WOW!!

link?

• @MisterChew said: The admin dashboard is so slow that it's difficult for me to even work on my site. I have about 12 plugins active currently.

I don't know how slow you mean by "slow", but from my experience wordpress backend is always somewhat slow on shared hosting. Page builders like elementor make this problem a lot worse too. That racknerd plan is more than enough to run a wordpress site. However, it is 2021 and the plan you mentioned run on HDDs. You may want to consider choosing another location if possible to get SSD (maybe san jose?).

• Only issue you might hit is that it's on HDDs, SSD cache is all good and well but will make very little difference in reality on large nodes shared with lots of other VMs, depending on the size of the SSD cache of course.

Take into account any extras you want/need as well including DA licensing, if you want to benefit from things you have currently such as LiteSpeed/LSCache you need that licensed too - Costs all add up and will soon go over what you're probably paying for web hosting.

Then consider you need to manage/secure/maintain the VPS yourself as well.

If it's a new site that's not working straight away contact your provider for support before you make the jump to a VPS, or even try out other providers if you can as well.

Thanked by 2mike1s seriesn
  • 2GB RAM is ok .