Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

use of tunneled ipv6 in dedi for vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

use of tunneled ipv6 in dedi for vps

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
edited November 2013 in General

hi everybody...

just got a question.

can you use he/tunnelbroker or other related services on your dedi to make vps's out of them for selling...

will it be worth without a native ipv6?

what will be the difference in the vps made from a dedi having a tunneled ipv6 and the one having a native ipv6?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You can. Here's some good info: http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=152.0

It really depends. I mean I had set it up for Catalyst in Dallas and the added latency was too low to worry about, something like 5ms I think since the tunnel was nearby.

The real difference is just routing. You can't do much about something like an HE tunnel running HE routes, but you'll expect more from your native ipv4 and even your native ipv6.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

dear @jarland, i have seen you almost very positively active on this forum

thanks

Thanked by 1jar

@jarland, its a nice tutorial that you recomended, but what about automation, if i add the ipblock to the solusvm, will it add ipv6 automatically to the vps's thus being created...

@agentmishra said:
    jarland, its a nice tutorial that you recomended, but what about automation, if i add the ipblock to the solusvm, will it add ipv6 automatically to the vps's thus being created...

It will. I tried it with solusvm and it took off without a problem.

Thanked by 1agentmishra

@jarland, just one more question, what to do inside tunelbroker at these places...

1. create BGP tunnel or a regular tunnel

and

1. rDNS Delegations

i am asking you since i have no idea about these..

or if you can guide me to some nice writeup on these

Ah good questions. Regular tunnel is what you want. As for rDNS delegation, I won't lie...goes right over my head ;)

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

rDNS setup is easy if it doesn't bother you to do it manually. I use freedns.afraid.org nameservers with my IPv6 tunnel and then set up rDNS from afraid.org control panel.

Thanked by 1agentmishra

@jarland said:
    Ah good questions. Regular tunnel is what you want. As for rDNS delegation, I won't lie...goes right over my head ;)

thanks for your support

will again be back once i test it

@Spirit said:
    rDNS setup is easy if it doesn't bother you to do it manually. I use freedns.afraid.org nameservers with my IPv6 tunnel and then set up rDNS from afraid.org control panel.

what if i have my own dns server with bind, presently serving ipv4 deligation/requests for rdns, can it serve for ipv6 as well

now i am thinking of switching to powerdns instead of bind, will it do?

• @agentmishra said:
    what if i have my own dns server with bind, presently serving ipv4 deligation/requests for rdns, can it serve for ipv6 as well

Yes of course.
    https://heliosj.net/main/ipv6_rdns_tunnelbroker

Thanked by 1agentmishra

thanks a million @Spirit

• I've created an IPv6 only vps from my Dedibox SC Gen2 with tunelled IPv6 from HE, while for the IPv4 is NATed from the dedi IPv4. We just need to use the routed /64 or /48 from HE.

As for the rDNS of IPv6, set delegation to HE NS. I'm running 4 OpenVZ with IPv6 only at my Dedibox now. :)

@ErawanArifNugroho

can you explain me in detail how to do this?

i am unable to understand...

• edited November 2013

@agentmishra I've created a tutorial for this, but it's in Indonesian language, but most part were still in English, so maybe you can try it here

Or some start is, I'm using Proxmox ( Debian 6) so this is the example of my /etc/network/interfaces

auto he-ipv6
    iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
        endpoint 216.66.84.42
        address 2001:470:ffff:: -- Client IPv6 from Tunnelbroker
        netmask 64

up /sbin/ip -6 route add default dev he-ipv6
    # I'm using the default routed /64 from Tunnelbroker
        up /sbin/ip -6 addr add 2001:470:aa::/64 dev vmbr0

# This would be the IPv6 for the container that we want to be available for public, using the routed /64 or /48 from Tunnelbroker
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:aa::100 dev vmbr0
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:aa::101 dev vmbr0
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:aa::102 dev vmbr0
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:aa::103 dev vmbr0

@ErawanArifNugroho

is there a way for us to automate the NATing of ipv4 and also ipv6 tunnel in solusvm?

• For automate the NATing, I don't tried yet, maybe with some bash script, it can be done, but I'm not a programmer :D

For theIPv6, as far as I know, we just need to set the IPv6 to the container, and add the proxy for it. This is just like lowendspirit :D

Thanked by 1agentmishra