Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for two VPS (Manchester + Charlotte)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for two VPS (Manchester + Charlotte)

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
edited March 2021 in Requests

So.. I'm looking for two VPS with the following approximate specs:

KVM Virtualization
1 CPU Core
1 GB RAM (768 MB should also be fine)
10 GB SSD
1 TB BW/mo.
1 Gbps Port
1 IPv4 Address
/64 IPv6

Locations: 1 in Manchester, GB + 1 in Charlotte, US
(London is not Manchester and Lenoir is not Charlotte)

The option to get a BGP session in the future is a plus, but not a must.

Budget: 12-15 USD/year per VPS

The location requirement might be a deal-breaker, but... let's see what happens. :)

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

LoveServers have you covered for Manchester, and QuickPacket (who now own LS) have dedis in Charlotte but not sure they do VPS.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • jtkjtk Member

I don't have any experience with them and they are probably out of your budget, but you could try Tier.Net for Charlotte. Since Hostigation left the business I'm not aware of any low-end Charlotte providers.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Mr_Tom said:
    LoveServers have you covered for Manchester, and QuickPacket (who now own LS) have dedis in Charlotte but not sure they do VPS.

I was hoping to work something out with them but they do no longer offer custom packages and their 1 GB plan would be 48 USD/year which is beyond what I'm willing to pay.

and they are probably out of your budget

Yep.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

HostUS may be able to help. They are colocated with us in Charlotte.

@AlexanderM

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited March 2021

Virtono for Manchester - OOS :(

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@brueggus said: I was hoping to work something out with them but they do no longer offer custom packages and their 1 GB plan would be 48 USD/year which is beyond what I'm willing to pay.

Ah yeah their £15/year plan is only 512mb, my mistake.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Would $20/year and /112 IPv6 work for you? We have NVMePromo-1GB available in Manchester, UK: https://greenkvm.com

Thanks for your suggestions!

@NDTN said:
    Would $20/year and /112 IPv6 work for you? We have NVMePromo-1GB available in Manchester, UK: https://greenkvm.com

I'll look into it - thanks!

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • If you're still looking in July, I'll hopefully be adding a Charlotte, NC location then.

@SWN_Michael said:
    If you're still looking in July, I'll hopefully be adding a Charlotte, NC location then.

I don't hope so, but I might consider adding Tampa if you make me an offer I can't resist. :smirk:

• @brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:
    If you're still looking in July, I'll hopefully be adding a Charlotte, NC location then.

I don't hope so, but I might consider adding Tampa if you make me an offer I can't resist. :smirk:

What are you thinking :)

edited March 2021

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

Same requirements as above, different location. I'll let it be a surprise.

• @brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

Just realized I can't totally meet your requirements yet. I have yet to deploy IPv6.

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

Just realized I can't totally meet your requirements yet. I have yet to deploy IPv6.

I'd be fine with using a HE tunnel for a month or two.

• @brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

I'm only willing to go down to $39 a year. Let me know if that's that's something you'd consider.

Thanked by 1brueggus

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@brueggus said:

@SWN_Michael said:

I'm only willing to go down to $39 a year. Let me know if that's that's something you'd consider.

Kind of what I expected, but that's like twice as much as I'm willing to pay.
    Thanks anyways!

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@brueggus said: 12-15 USD/year per VPS

$12-15/year is really unrealistic.

If someone is renting a /24, they're looking at probably a minimum of $0.40/month in IP cost, plus probably about $1.00 in payment processing fees. Even at $15/year, that only leaves $9 for the node, colo, bandwidth, etc. - for an entire year.

Unless someone is getting unlimited free IPs from a provider (which is pretty much unheard of in 2021), I don't see this happening.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • mike1smike1s Member
    edited March 2021

@qps said:

@brueggus said: 12-15 USD/year per VPS

$12-15/year is really unrealistic.

If someone is renting a /24, they're looking at probably a minimum of $0.40/month in IP cost, plus probably about $1.00 in payment processing fees. Even at $15/year, that only leaves $9 for the node, colo, bandwidth, etc. - for an entire year.

Unless someone is getting unlimited free IPs from a provider (which is pretty much unheard of in 2021), I don't see this happening.

100% this. I'm spending $550 a month on my rackspace, another $85 a month to lease my /24, not to mention about another $40 a month in licesning costs. I can't even fathom offering something that cheap, outside of shared hosting. For me to make that kind of offer I'd have to oversell the node like crazy, which would kill performance. If I rented dedicated servers, that would lower my costs somewhat, but its still not sustainable to make those kinds of deals.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

^ hides.

@brueggus if your interested in coming to Texas we are near your costs at $18/yr

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@SWN_Michael said: 100% this. I'm spending $550 a month on my rackspace, another $85 a month to lease my /24, not to mention about another $40 a month in licesning costs. I can't even fathom offering something that cheap, outside of shared hosting. For me to make that kind of offer I'd have to oversell the node like crazy, which would kill performance. If I rented dedicated servers, that would lower my costs somewhat, but its still not sustainable to make those kinds of deals.

Providers who own a lot of ips get to lift that 85 USD p/m cost thus making it cheaper, and colocating like 3-4 cabinets at a time thus once again minimalizing the costs and passing the savings onto the customer

@DataIdeas-Josh said: @brueggus if your interested in coming to Texas we are near your costs at $18/yr

Already have one with you... within the price range mentioned above.

That being said...

100% this. I'm spending $550 a month on my rackspace, another $85 a month to lease my /24, not to mention about another $40 a month in licesning costs.

Fully understandable!

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh

Thanks everyone for your offers/suggestions.

@NDTN Great pricing, but I've had various issues with M247's routing in the past so I'm trying to avoid their network.

@Mr_Tom said:

@brueggus said: I was hoping to work something out with them but they do no longer offer custom packages and their 1 GB plan would be 48 USD/year which is beyond what I'm willing to pay.

Ah yeah their £15/year plan is only 512mb, my mistake.

In the end, I decided to lower my requirements, add some swap and go with Loveservers' 512mb plan. I was a bit hesitant since they haven't put up an offer here in years but they responded to tickets quickly so they're still active, I guess.

My order got provisioned instantly and IPv6 was enabled after opening a ticket within few hours. In addition, they bumped the recurring amount for my 15/y plan ordered few hours ago to 25/y without further notice.

I was thinking back and forth whether I should give their 3-days-money back guarantee a shot, but since the server's running fine I decided to keep it and reconsider when it's due for renewal.