Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Hetzner or soyoustart?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Hetzner or soyoustart?

Hey guys, quick question - two servers with same/similar hardware and price. Would you choose soyoustart or hetzner and why?

Thanks <3

Comments

• wii747wii747 Member

Hetzner, Better support and hardware also you get 1GB network speed.

• marvelmarvel Member

SYS if you do high-risk hosting (ddos sensitive).

Thanked by 2dodheimsgard miu
  • tjntjn Member
    edited March 1

@wii747 said:

+1 for Hetzner

@marvel said:

Hetzner have DDoS protection too, don't they?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I always choose German steel over French steel.

Thus, Hetzner.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard

"Jarland is stupid."

• agroupagroup Member

Any time choose Hetzner. good support and service, straightforward billing.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • JorboxJorbox Member

Hetzner all the way
    Never look back

Thanked by 2dodheimsgard Ympker
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@marvel said:

Yes for sure

https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/ddos-schutz?country=ru

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • marvelmarvel Member

@tjn said:

@wii747 said:

+1 for Hetzner

@marvel said:

On paper, yeah...

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • coolicecoolice Member

Hetzner DDOS filters allow more in and will cause you issues if you attacked ....

Hetzner hardware is better you can get a new server for literally nothing AX 41 is crazy good for the money

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard

Future-Proof Yourself! Buy! Buy!

• NyrNyr Member

OVH if you want to host user-generated content or need DDoS protection. Hetzner for anything else.

• Hetzner claimed when I asked that you can completely block udp traffic on the server using their firewall, keeping that in mind you can disable udp and use cloudflare for your dns or an external dns server , the dos can be stopped with software and hetzner should sustain it .
    I haven't use hetzner since 2008 but back then I was very happy with their support .

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • pikepike Member

Hetzner because they never had a datacenter burn down.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

OVH if you like your servers overheating at points.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard

hm. I've lost a machine.. literally lost. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

• TejyTejy Member

Hetzner.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard

Working for a world-famous cloud and BareMetal company. | Yes, my profile picture is Contabo desktop icon.

• xetsysxetsys Member

Hetzner is miles better in value and speed. This is not a fair comparison

• AndreixAndreix Member, Provider

@xetsys said:
    Hetzner is miles better in value and speed. This is not a fair comparison

+1 on this.
    I also belive hetzner is far better than OVH.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • momkinmomkin Member

Fast support ➜ Hetzner
    Good DDOS protection ➜ OVH

In term of HW quality they both have Almost the some quality .

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • amsaalamsaal Member
    edited March 19

i asked hetzner how is their ddos filters on gaming like voice TS3 they said its not seamless and works on automatic sensor. so OVH for better DDOS Protection specially for Games.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • ourvdsourvds Member

Neither one nor the other

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • amsaalamsaal Member

@ourvds said:

And?

• ourvdsourvds Member

@amsaal said:

@ourvds said:

And?

What and? Asked which one to choose, I wrote that I would not choose either of the two

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • that_guythat_guy Member
    edited March 19

OVH for DDoS-protected (game)servers and seedboxes. Or if you think just not paying your invoices is a means to canceling a service. Or if Hetzner declined you. But OVH is pretty strict, too. Or if your content could get you into legal trouble in germany (at least if you're german). Which could be almost anything! So only host ultra-uncontroversial stuff in germany, or be legally offshore, or be a big rich business with your own in-house legal department.

Hetzner in all other cases. Especially if you don't like the french approach to business (often being a bit half-assed, disorganized, unreliable, unpredictable, wishy-washy, rushed, not thoroughly thought through etc.). Or if you think that in 2021, in a first-world country, the DCs of a huge-ass hoster should of course have some sort of fire-extinguishing system, not just sensors and a box that calls the firefighters. (But I'm not sure if @Hetzner_OL is any better in that regard). And only if paying your invoices (ON TIME, duh!) doesn't sound like a wired, strange, bizarre, and absurd concept to you.

Don't forget to like, subscribe, and comment below.
    "they just simply can't trace me down on internet because I'm using Linux." Mr_indescribable

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

There's no one size fits all.

lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

• edited March 19

> two servers with same/similar hardware and price.

Location of DCs may be another factor to consider (due to latency & bandwidth considerations between them and you or your main target audience).

Also network speed (IIRC SYS is usually 100Mbit, Hetzner 1Gbit?) if your use pattern can take advantage of the better.

• pikepike Member
    edited March 19

You could add php-friends firewall to any hetzner dedi for 6,50€ a month (far cheaper if you get one of their promo VPS they sell 2-3x a year).

So for my E3-1246V3, 32GB DDR3, 2x2TB Enterprise HDD with monthly cost of 22,69€ this would raise the price point to ~30€.

This setup could replace an SYS GAME-2 saving me 23€ a month. Let aside the fact that I had a VPS with two dedicated Ryzen threads and 10GB RAM to make use of.

• amsaalamsaal Member

@ourvds said:

@amsaal said:

@ourvds said:

And?

What and? Asked which one to choose, I wrote that I would not choose either of the two

sorry i dont want to be picky but it just that for my own knowledge as every one has their own opinions . if you have found better one then hint it atleast :)

• amsaalamsaal Member

@pike said:
    You could add php-friends firewall to any hetzner dedi for 6,50€ a month (far cheaper if you get one of their promo VPS they sell 2-3x a year).

So for my E3-1246V3, 32GB DDR3, 2x2TB Enterprise HDD with monthly cost of 22,69€ this would raise the price point to ~30€.

This setup could replace an SYS GAME-2 saving me 23€ a month. Let aside the fact that I had a VPS with two dedicated Ryzen threads and 10GB RAM to make use of.

will this work for Hetzner cloud server [KVM] ?

• pbxpbx Member

@that_guy said: (But I'm not sure if @Hetzner_OL is any better in that regard)

Well, the DC isn't a tower with a lot of wood, but an industrial building with fire doors between rooms. If there's a fire, it should move slower.

• I bet 95-99% of the people on this site never gave one thought to fire suppression technologies or any other aspect of DC construction - but now are all experts.

• @DataGizmos said:
    I bet 95-99% of the people on this site never gave one thought to fire suppression technologies or any other aspect of DC construction - but now are all experts.

Many probably didn't give any thought to DR plans either.
    Hopefully that has changed a bit too!

• I snagged Deal of the Year: $6.9/year, 6 vCPU, 8GB RAM, 105GB NVMe - but it got away.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Provider

On a larger scale I would pick up Hetzner. I am currently planning on how to move all our storages to them. In the long term OVH has just felt very risky to do anything serious on, not because of fire and hardware, but because of how they handle everything when something beyond hardware failure goes wrong. And I have somehow grown to feel very unsure about what to expect from them so I don't think that I want to store our customer's data with them any longer.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 20

Im sure Germany's court has nothing better to do than to confiscate drivers that belong to law abiding people.

Are you actually, for the lack of better words, taking the short yellow bus? Linking that thread has nothing to do with Hetzner but the OP being a person who clearly did some shady shit.

hm. I've lost a machine.. literally lost. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

• Hetzner for Hardware & Support and OVH for cheaper fail-over IP addresses and better DDoS Protection.
    Also keep in mind SyS servers have just 250Mbps connection, not 1Gbps like Hetzner.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member
    edited March 20

@serv_ee said:

Im sure Germany's court has nothing better to do than to confiscate drivers that belong to law abiding people.

Are you actually, for the lack of better words, taking the short yellow bus? Linking that thread has nothing to do with Hetzner but the OP being a person who clearly did some shady shit.

I wanted to link to when they confiscated the disks on NexusBytes Germany (located in Hetzner), but couldn't find that thread anymore.

There were no yellow buses, long or short, in the country where I attended school. We went to school on foot or bicycles.

I snagged Deal of the Year: $6.9/year, 6 vCPU, 8GB RAM, 105GB NVMe - but it got away.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 20

They aren't going around and taking disks just for no reason.

Unless you have some proof those people on those disks actually did nothing, hey. You can believe what you want but I really believe Hetzner, German courts etc have better shit to do.

• pikepike Member

@amsaal said:
    will this work for Hetzner cloud server [KVM] ?

It will work with any server from any provider since I am talking about renting a VPS with php-friends and, from there, routing all traffic to your backend server.

• naturalnatural Member

hetzner is prem.

• moom0omoom0o Member

Hetzner.