Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BetterLET
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BetterLET

jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
edited February 2021 in General

BetterLET

Born out of my annoyance of seeing the same circlejerk threads every time I visit LET. I haven't seen any Vanilla userscripts in the wild that do this so I made one, if you already have one then good for you.

Currently only does one thing two things, filter threads from the home page and remove comments from a user.

Repo: https://github.com/caguiclajmg/betterlet

Installation:

1. Install TamperMonkey (don't use FF so Greasemonkey is untested)
  2. Install the userscript betterlet.user.js
  3. Refresh tab
  4. Customize settings

Settings:

To access settings:

Thread Filtering:

The options are pretty self-explanatory, the Hide filter action just removes the thread from the page and Sink puts it at the very end of every page.

Original:

Hide:

Sink:

or you can just pretend you don't see the threads

Comments

• But can you prevent me from replying to your thread with another awesome deal? BOOM!

• @ragnahosting said:
    But can you prevent me from replying to your thread with another awesome deal? BOOM!

Thank you for your order, I've doubled the features. The script now has the ability to mute annoying shitlords. Cy@

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

How do I use this on my phone to hide this thread

• Reminds me of another plugin that was made on LET a few years ago. I forgot what exactly it was but I think it was to block people you didn't like :lol:

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Im downloading it

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

It doesn't work in Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP.
    It says syntax error.

Thanked by 1lentro

Ok so it shows weird symbols instead of emoji but everything else works perfect

• LeviLevi Member
    edited February 2021

Suggestion: add functionality to autohide threads with specific title. For example "#racknerd-gang".

Thanked by 2bulbasaur BlaZe

How do i sink/delete 2 threads or more

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited February 2021

How do I add the chicken animation next to every @FAT32 FAT32 mention, just like it's Black Friday?

While at it, add a push-ups icon next to my name, like this: @yoursunny push-ups

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • Thank god, now VirMach has a way to hide any criticism they come across.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited February 2021

@jar said:

Very funny mr email man, you got the whole thread laughing.

In any case, you need a Step 0. Install a mobile browser that supports userscripts/TamperMonkey/Greasemonkey

Thanked by 1jar
  • @yoursunny said:
    How do I add the chicken animation next to every @FAT32 mention, just like it's Black Friday?

While at it, add a push-ups icon next to my name, like this: @yoursunny push-ups

That's actully a cool idea, I'll go try and hunt down FAT32's animated dinosaur.

• @skorupion said:
    How do i sink/delete 2 threads or more

All threads that match the user criteria (comma-separated) or the title criteria (regex) will either be hidden or sunk depending on your settings.

@jmgcaguicla said: title criteria (regex) will either be hidden or sunk depending on your settings.

How do I add 2 regex expressions

• @jar said:

time to ignore any thread with (BetterLET)+

(yes, I know that I can remove the brackets since we don’t care about the group blah don’t bother me about it pls)

goodbye, world

edited March 2021

@skorupion said:
    How do I add 2 regex expressions

Do you really need to be hiding that much threads?

The original intent was only to use a single regex, but you can probably get away with just OR-ing the keywords (topic1|topic2).

@doghouch said:
    (yes, I know that I can remove the brackets since we don’t care about the group blah don’t bother me about it pls)

goodbye, world

You didn't even need the + either ¯_ (ツ)_/¯

@jmgcaguicla said:

@yoursunny said:
    How do I add the chicken animation next to every @FAT32 mention, just like it's Black Friday?

That's actully a cool idea, I'll go try and hunt down FAT32's animated dinosaur.

Fission mailed, can't find @FAT32's dinosaur (gone extinct?).

EDIT: I added it as an external stylesheet, we all trust FAT32 right? ;)

• @jmgcaguicla said:
    You didn't even need the + either ¯_ (ツ)_/

gotta be safe just in case there are more threads /s

• Anyone try mobile FF yet?

• pikepike Veteran

@smallbibi said:
    Reminds me of another plugin that was made on LET a few years ago. I forgot what exactly it was but I think it was to block people you didn't like :lol:

That plugin was used to remove scammy LEB offers that were randomly inserted into the threadlist.

edited March 2021

New feature: Ad Blocking

You can now shut the fuck up about unobtrusive ads 😂👌

Get it here

• @smallbibi said:
    Reminds me of another plugin that was made on LET a few years ago. I forgot what exactly it was but I think it was to block people you didn't like :lol:

Several years ago, I made a userscript to block junk content.

Since then I've adapted the script to do user-based blocking. It's much more basic than OP's, but it does the job and definitely makes LET a less toxic place.

const hideUsers = ["foo", "bar"];
    for (var x of document.querySelectorAll(".DiscussionAuthor, .Author"))
      if (hideUsers.includes(x.innerText.trim()))
        while (!(x = x.parentElement).classList.contains("Item") || x.remove());

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I know, Greasemonkey's not "supported" - but do we have any Greasemonkey users around? I've installed the script but I don't see the "settings"-button.

Any ideas? I already tried uninstall + reinstall, enable/disable Greasemonky, and restart FF.

@brueggus said:
    I know, Greasemonkey's not "supported" - but do we have any Greasemonkey users around? I've installed the script but I don't see the "settings"-button.

Any ideas? I already tried uninstall + reinstall, enable/disable Greasemonky, and restart FF.

tampermonkey?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@skorupion said:

@brueggus said:

tampermonkey?

...works. I have quite a few scripts in Greasemonkey and I was hoping I could stick with one Addon for them all.

@jmgcaguicla Thank you so much for creating this!

• @brueggus said:
    @jmgcaguicla Thank you so much for creating this!

Welcome, least I could do to give back to the community

@brueggus said:

I'm probably using something TamperMonkey-specific, there is a lot of overlap with GM so it's kind of hard to tell which ones those are.

I can take a quick look, if supporting GM can be done within the same script then I'm okay with maintaining both but what I don't want is to have TM/GM-specific branches.