Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrating our company host from HostMonster to dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrating our company host from HostMonster to dedicated server

JustPfffJustPfff Member
edited February 2021 in Help

Everyone knows how bad popular shared-host companies are and HostMonster aren't exception ,,,
Currently our company (Multiple Offices/Employees ) uses HostMonster Business plan for Emails mostly ,
Our HostMonster cPanel account, and even their website becomes super slow sometime(couple time during the week), and this delay bad to the company business(e.g the invoice process could delayed to next/week if it arrive late before the weekend ),

So I have bad experience in the past with all Shared-Host companies and I don't want to repeat it.
And everyone know how crappy becomes cPanel License modules now , we have one domain and, we use cPanel to manage/create emails account only, does Solo License enough for this

I have list of dedicated server providers to chose from (I'll put it on other threads), so do think it's good move, and how risky it's, as I mention above, if couple emails didn't arrive(during migrating) we could end-up paying for it invoice instead of the customer(that's could be couple thousands dollars),

If there any chance of having emails/data lost during this planning migration please advice me about it(I have like 3 moth to do this).

Comments

• eriseris Member
    edited February 2021

Step 1: Update TTL for the domain in your DNS to an shorter period
    Step 2: Set up the new Dedicated server how you like.
    Step 3: Migrate you mail can be done via backup or use https://imapsync.lamiral.info
    Step 4: Add you new mail server to the DNS records
    Step 5: Sync both mail servers via imapsync...
    Step 6: Enjoy your new server ...
    Step 7: Keep monitoring your old mail some DNS servers can be slow up to max 1/2 days max....

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • @eris said: Add you new mail server to the DNS records

One question I forget to ask, if both server stays running during DNS updated, does this effect our emails clients(PC's that's relieves the emails) first, or it's effect the sender destination , e.g it's will received via the old server instead of the new, anyway I think syncing both server will solve this issue .

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@JustPfff said:

@eris said: Add you new mail server to the DNS records

One question I forget to ask, if both server stays running during DNS updated, does this effect our emails clients(PC's that's relieves the emails) first, or it's effect the sender destination , e.g it's will received via the old server instead of the new, anyway I think syncing both server will solve this issue .

It is possible while the DNS is updating, that some e-mail may go to the old destination.

The best way to ensure you don't lose anything is as mentioned above, keep monitoring the old inboxes for ~48 hours. The likelihood is everything will go to your new server(s) but, anyone with your old server cached will send to the old one. Best just to check both for a few days.

Realistically though, how many users do you have? If e-mail is that important to you ($1000s), why are you relying on a single server/shared host??? Why not use a managed e-mail service like Microsoft 365/Google Workspace ($5/user/month) that come with good SLAs. Alternatively, MXRoute may also be a good choice if you are tight on budget for your mission-critical system...

A dedicated machine can go just as wrong as a shared host, and I do not mean to be rude, but by the sounds of your questions - you don't 100% understand e-mail and may not be able to quickly debug deliverability issues etc. if they occur.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Just for sending emails use a VPS. Get mailchannels and relax!

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@LordSpock said:
    It is possible while the DNS is updating, that some e-mail may go to the old destination.

The best way to ensure you don't lose anything is as mentioned above, keep monitoring the old inboxes for ~48 hours. The likelihood is everything will go to your new server(s) but, anyone with your old server cached will send to the old one. Best just to check both for a few days.

I'd suggest instead turning off the old system. As long as the DNS records exist, any mail sent to the old system will soft fail and be resent later (to the new server) by the sender.

Trying to reconcile successful deliveries to two different system is unnecessary pain.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Just to throw it out there the cPanel solo license can only be used on “cloud” - thats basically covers a VPS only. For a dedicated server you need at least the Premier license, which is about 3 times the cost of the solo license.

• If you are using your current host for email services only and according to what you wrote you don't have enough Administration skills, it's much better to go with the O365 solution or sort of. As mentioned earlier in order to lower DNS updates during MX record changes, in the first place, change TTL to as minimal as possible. Then perform MX changes to the new system once it is ready. Having a "gap" before service expiration on the old system you can always use server IP or webmail to make sure no messages lost.

If you want to go with a Dedicated server, you can also look into Plesk as a control panel which is no bad at all and is able to import cPanel backups.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited February 2021

If you aren’t fully set on going dedicated, a vps might be a great in between alternative :) and if that tickles your pickle, join the Nexus Bytes Family :)

https://my.nexusbytes.com/knowledgebase/78/Free-migration-assistance-for-switchers.html

If outgoing is super important for you, I would say utilize something similar to mailchannel or mail.baby for relay and that should do the job :)

• Also, if all your mail users are using the shared hostname instead of your mail.domain.com, then your users may need to re-add the new mail server again and redownload all their mailboxes again.

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited March 2021

@LordSpock said: why are you relying on a single server/shared host??? Why not use a managed e-mail service like Microsoft 365/Google Workspace ($5/user/month) that come with good SLAs. Alternatively,

I was considering using Google professional email service but monthly fees will be 180$ and I'm not sure about 30GB storage size per account if it i enough or not .

@WSCallum Cpanel Premier license aren't too high compare other sht they paid for to HostMonster + the most important is having reliable hosting 24/7 , before I send this post HostMonster main website aren't loading to me, this company are just nightmare .

@TimboJones saidif all your mail users are using the shared hostname instead of your mail.domain.com : then your users may need to re-add the new mail server again and redownload all their mailboxes again.

>

No we use mail.domain.com old email are not urgent couple delays wont be problem .

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

if it was me i would just switch to google suites or office 365 for mail. Do away with the cpanel mail.

If you migrate there will be some delay on the switch over. I would keep the old account open and active for at least 3 to 4 days to make sure that you have gotten all your mail and so on