Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CONTABO - high performance 8 cores ssd vps BENCHMARK - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CONTABO - high performance 8 cores ssd vps BENCHMARK

Comments

• nfnnfn Veteran

Netcup CPU are AMD EPYC 7702P

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2021-02-26 10:21:16 UTC
    -------------------------------------------------

Processor:    AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    1996.250 MHz
    RAM:          7.6G
    Swap:         1.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-1160.15.2.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda    160G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        0.510 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        5.229 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.003 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 54.4 us / 82.0 us / 13.1 ms / 286.6 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 29.2 k requests in 5.00 s, 7.12 GiB, 5.83 k iops, 1.42 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    1239.78 MiB/s
        2nd run:    1049.04 MiB/s
        3rd run:    1239.78 MiB/s
        average:    1176.20 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Cachefly CDN:         262.05 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        93.81 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   13.37 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      177.12 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         30.42 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Leaseweb (NL):        164.22 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   13.76 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      120.75 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         27.44 MiB/s

Thanked by 1miu
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Thanks for feedback, very useful for those who still think like "what if is cheaper? should't be any difference".

• @coolice said:
    WD Greed

Sounds legit :-D

Thanked by 1coolice
  • contabo is heavy oversell. good luck

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@miu

Are you serious? Really? You are comparing quite different machines from quite different providers with (normally) quite different pricing.

For a start, Contabo is not a cheap shot, because Epyc 2 systems are dimensionally more expensive than say E5-26xx V4 systems.
    But of course Contabo has quite low prices while netcup is more of a "top class for a reasonable price" player (with occasionally some insane promos).

Well noted, I'm not blindly defending Contabo. They do have some weaker points; if one runs their own DCs and buys current Zen nodes, one just has to cut some corners somewhere to be able to offer excellent pricing.
    But the way you put it sounds as if Contabo was a sh_tty provider - and that is definitely not true.

And sorry, but the problem is on your side. If you need a system for business then buy at a business-oriented provider - and pay the price!. If on the other hand you want a quite decent VPS for an excellent price then look at Contabo.

• miumiu Member
    edited February 2021

@jsg said:
    @miu

Are you serious? Really? You are comparing quite different machines from quite different providers with (normally) quite different pricing.

Are you serious? What is quite different between contabo that its benchmark i have posted above (their VPS SSD L) and this NETCUP, excluding perfomance?

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2560

VPS 4000 G9 12M

8 Cores, KVM-Technologie
          32 GB RAM
          800 GB SSD (RAID10)
          80 TB Traffic ungedrosselt
          Snapshots (Copy-On-Write)

21,00€ pro Monat  (inkl. 19% MwSt.) 

(if you or your company is outside from EU, 
    then you can remove -4€ VAT and price is practically the same = 16€/m)

I am not sure if NETCUP use already EPYC for VPS (for root servers yes), but i am sure performance will be a much better (also in case of XEONs) as what i got as equivalent of it by Contabo. + network is 1Gbit and netcup is know that their network is good.

Well noted, I'm not blindly defending Contabo.

This is exactly what u do - u got price reasonable VPS by them so u now defend them and do not want to see and admit that i got shit.

And sorry, but the problem is on your side. If you need a system for business then buy at a business-oriented provider - and pay the price!.

For what purpose Contabo offer VPSes in your opinion when no business? Only for playing, or idling?

Enjoy your Contabo if u luckily got one good (I didn't have so much fortune), and do not write me nonsense

edited February 2021

@miu said:

Well noted, I'm not blindly defending Contabo.

This is exactly what u do - u got price reasonable VPS by them so u now defend them and do not want to see and admit that i got shit.

BS!

And sorry, but the problem is on your side. If you need a system for business then buy at a business-oriented provider - and pay the price!.

For what purpose is COntabo in your opinion when no business? Only for playing, or idling?

There are many use cases outside of serious business operations.

Oh and btw: I don't care about some one-shot "benchmark", I prefer real benchmark results based on 100+ runs.
    I happen to have a netcup VDS myself and my benchmarks show that Contabo is comparable in proc./mem, disk Idk because my VDS has spindles but the Contabo results are not bad at all, and wrt connectivity the netcup VDS is indeed better. And note that that's putting a VPS against a VDS.

TL;DR Contabo is serving its market segment well and cheap but of course isn't comparable to a normally (besides promos) considerably more expensive VDS targeting business clients.

Thanked by 2Ympker bulbasaur
  • I had a similar vps from contabo once. My cpu speed was very good not comparable to what you got in your benchmark. On my system the disk io was on hdd level and I asked support why they promote "performance ssd" when they actual deliver hdd speeds. They responded that they are using ssds and no hdds and support tuned my vps to reach better disk speed. After that my vps was fine but I left contabo in the end as I don't want to ticket in to get custom tuning. I want my hoster to deliver quality right from the start. I don't want to spend my time on debugging hoster bugs.

Thanked by 1miu
  • again:
    "On the left is Contabo VPS vs. on the right similar VPS from another provider"

who is the "vps from another provider" (with the good specs)?

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • When you will PM me with style "I wonder who is on the right, please let me know"
    then usually i will reply.
    With your current style "Again, who is provider" i no reply.

@miu said:
    When you will PM me with style "I wonder who is on the right, please let me know"

Some singing and dancing or maybe a dick massage required too?

@Falzo is right. You definitely should work on your attitude, which btw. also leads you to a self perception that is diametrically opposed to how many actually perceive you.

Tell us or tell us not who's the other provider but already stop to expect everybody to dance to your whim, Mr. business man.

Thanked by 2hyperblast bulbasaur
  • @jsg said:maybe a dick massage required too?

This is my thing what i decide share public and what willing answer via PM.

@jsg said: Are you serious? Really? You are comparing quite different machines from quite > different providers with (normally) quite different pricing.

You forgot explain what is quite different between Contabo VPS L and

Thank you for your wisdom. I'll let you write another opportunity to tell me how poor I am
    and the last word, since it is definitely very important for you.

• what webmail are you using?

• @duckeeyuck said:

what webmail are you using?

It's Roundcube on Debian10

• @miu said: It's Roundcube on Debian10

think i could bother u by asking what the other similar provider is? krindra intrestred ;)

• @duckeeyuck said:

@miu said: It's Roundcube on Debian10

think i could bother u by asking what the other similar provider is? krindra intrestred ;)

No prbl, check PM

• I've been using Contabo for a few months now. Has been great in my experience. For the price I am paying, I can not find a single provider that offers more power for the same price.

Thanked by 1miroc
  • Both, Contabo and Netcup are good providers I have been happy with both when I used them.
    Contabo certainly provides great specs at that price point and performance has been good for all things I have used it for.

Thanked by 1miroc
  • netcup is better than contabo
    I think php-friends.de has simillar prices

@miu said:
    Thank you for your wisdom. I'll let you write another opportunity to tell me how poor I am
    and the last word, since it is definitely very important for you.

Wrong. Thanks, no.

Thanked by 1miu
  • +1 for Netcup

• -2 for Contabo

• @miu said:
    When you will PM me with style "I wonder who is on the right, please let me know"

attentionwhxxe

• miumiu Member
    edited February 2021

@hyperblast said:

@miu said:

attentionwhxxe

check PM, u got message from whore

• @hyperblast said:
    attentionwhxxe

You censored one letter too many, attentionwhxre or attentionwhoxe would've been better

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • Strange...didn't know VPS-se can only be used in business instances as OP is trying to put it.

Been doing the whole mail server, nextcloud, quickbox thing wrong then...

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@miu said: You forgot explain what is quite different between Contabo VPS L and

Thats the yearly pricing, the monthly pricing is 27,30 EUR p/m
    Comapre that to contabo pricing even with 23 % VAT (which is 18.44 EUR in total) its 8,86 EUR savings p/m

• miumiu Member
    edited February 2021

@skorupion said:

@miu said: You forgot explain what is quite different between Contabo VPS L and

Thats the yearly pricing, the monthly pricing is 27,30 EUR p/m
    Comapre that to contabo pricing even with 23 % VAT (which is 18.44 EUR in total) its 8,86 EUR savings p/m

Thanks. Also you forgot to mention Contabo does have Setup Fee, and VPS do have only 100, 200, 400 or 600Mbit network connection, only highest plans do have 1Gbit. Contrary, all NetCUPs income with 1Gbit as standart (and really good network), and root servers (VDS) what are no very distant from VSP prices offer 2.5Gbit.

And at all, sure i will rather pay a few € monthly more, and will have VPS with good performance, as pay a bit less for disaster what i got and its benchmark is published above (on begin) in this post.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@miu said: Also you forgot to mention Contabo does have Setup Fee, and VPS do have 100, 200, 400 or 600Mbit network connection, only highest plans do have 1Gbit.
    Contrary, all NetCUPs income with 1Gbit, and root servers (VDS) what are no very distant from VSP prices offer 2.5Gbit.

Let's start this.
    For Contabo on that particular plan with set-up fees the savings are 3,86 eur p/m saving for the first month, and 8,86 eur p/m after the first-month indefenedly.
    Next up if you are from outside of Europe your savings become 7,31 EUR p/m savings for the first month and after that 12.31 EUR p/m savings.
    And with bandwidth on Contabo you get on that particular plan 600 Mbps unmetered and for netcup 1 Gbps 80 TB.
    And you won't even feel the difference because it's shared anyways

• miumiu Member
    edited February 2021

@skorupion said:

@miu said: Also you forgot to mention Contabo does have Setup Fee, and VPS do have 100, 200, 400 or 600Mbit network connection, only highest plans do have 1Gbit.
    Contrary, all NetCUPs income with 1Gbit, and root servers (VDS) what are no very distant from VSP prices offer 2.5Gbit.

Let's start this.
    For Contabo on that particular plan with set-up fees the savings are 3,86 eur p/m saving for the first month, and 8,86 eur p/m after the first-month indefenedly.
    Next up if you are from outside of Europe your savings become 7,31 EUR p/m savings for the first month and after that 12.31 EUR p/m savings.
    And with bandwidth on Contabo you get on that particular plan 600 Mbps unmetered and for netcup 1 Gbps 80 TB.

And what when:

• i prepaid half or year
    • i do not need spend 80TB monthly (what is really relatively much and quite good value for dedicated server not for VPS)

Then is price practically the same + as i mentioned when consider my experiences with performance and compare them, NetCUP is IMO 10x better choice and better price/what u get value. But enjoy your Contabo i see no problem in it. Unfortunately From my experience they provided me one of the most worse VPS (price/performance value) what i get from someone provider ever, but maybe u had more fortune at them as me.