Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
PCIe IPMI Card other than AsRock ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

PCIe IPMI Card other than AsRock ??

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

Hello,

Is there any way to add IPMI Facilities to desktop motherboard by any PCIe Card ??

I have AsRock Paul in consideration: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=PAUL#Specifications

But, this is expensive. Does anybody know any way round ??

Regards.

AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

Comments

  • IPMI to desktop? Damn... I had used raritan in the past. But it's discontinued. Lantronix?

    Here is massive collection https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/

    #!/Bashblog.net | Free Wordpress Hosting | If you can't idle, what's the point?

  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Provider

    What scale are you looking to deploy this at?

    Nexril | Unmanaged KVM VPS and Dedicated Servers

  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

    @Lyphiard said:
    What scale are you looking to deploy this at?

    Can you explain a bit more. I didn't understand ?

    AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Provider

    @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

    @Lyphiard said:
    What scale are you looking to deploy this at?

    Can you explain a bit more. I didn't understand ?

    Are you looking to do this for just 1 machine, 10 machines, 100+ machines?

    Nexril | Unmanaged KVM VPS and Dedicated Servers

  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

    @LTniger said:
    IPMI to desktop? Damn... I had used raritan in the past. But it's discontinued. Lantronix?

    Here is massive collection https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/

    I couldn't find anything that can be integrated in the Motherboard there. Am I missing something ?

    AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

    @Lyphiard said:

    @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

    @Lyphiard said:
    What scale are you looking to deploy this at?

    Can you explain a bit more. I didn't understand ?

    Are you looking to do this for just 1 machine, 10 machines, 100+ machines?

    Preferably for 10 machines for now. If I see, my work can be easily done by the system, I may deploy more.

    AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

  • fragpicfragpic Member
    edited February 22

    You're better off just getting a motherboard with IPMI or you can try to find used IP KVM switches but they are usually pretty dated in terms of UI(Java based)

  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Provider

    I would have to agree with @fragpic, it's a lot more economical to just get boards with built-in IPMI for large scale deployments. External solutions usually end up being buggy (e.g. certain features are missing or broken) and more expensive to deploy.

    Nexril | Unmanaged KVM VPS and Dedicated Servers

  • TejyTejy Member

    Go for https://pikvm.org/ better than any old IPMI card! :)

    Thanked by 2jsg jh

    Working for a world-famous hosting company. | Yes, my profile picture is Contabo desktop icon.

  • CConnerCConner Member, Provider

    Does the PAUL card also offer virtual media, power actions etc?

    GameDash, an AIO solution uniting billing, support & game server management platform.
    Visit our website or join our Discord to find out more.

  • rcxbrcxb Member

    @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Is there any way to add IPMI Facilities to desktop motherboard by any PCIe Card ??

    Go old-school.

    Assuming you're interested in Linux (not Windows), you can do everything over the serial port, then a terminal server / comserver provides out-of-band connectivity. You'll need some boot-time options to utilize the serial port as the console in the bootloader and the kernel, but that's easy to put in your PXE boot menu options, kickstart configs, etc.

    PXE boot is the original method of "virtual media." If you can't manage that, a bootable disc always in the system would work. In either case, you want the external/fallback to be the default boot device, and configure the boot menu to boot from the local hard drive after a timeout of a few seconds.

    You'll also want to enable Magic SysRq, so you can force a reboot in the event of everything short of a complete kernel panic. It's worked very well for me. Alternatively, switchable PDUs or UPSes would work. Or you can use the Intel ME or AMD PSP to power cycle the system(s).

    An IP-KVM is an (more expensive) alternative to both the terminal server for the console, and many offer a "virtual media" option over USB as well, but the above options for emergency rebooting are still required.

    Thanked by 1jsg
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

    @rcxb said:

    @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Is there any way to add IPMI Facilities to desktop motherboard by any PCIe Card ??

    Go old-school.

    Assuming you're interested in Linux (not Windows), you can do everything over the serial port, then a terminal server / comserver provides out-of-band connectivity. You'll need some boot-time options to utilize the serial port as the console in the bootloader and the kernel, but that's easy to put in your PXE boot menu options, kickstart configs, etc.

    PXE boot is the original method of "virtual media." If you can't manage that, a bootable disc always in the system would work. In either case, you want the external/fallback to be the default boot device, and configure the boot menu to boot from the local hard drive after a timeout of a few seconds.

    You'll also want to enable Magic SysRq, so you can force a reboot in the event of everything short of a complete kernel panic. It's worked very well for me. Alternatively, switchable PDUs or UPSes would work. Or you can use the Intel ME or AMD PSP to power cycle the system(s).

    An IP-KVM is an (more expensive) alternative to both the terminal server for the console, and many offer a "virtual media" option over USB as well, but the above options for emergency rebooting are still required.

    I need an environment where the server would be racked into a cabinet & I can manage it from My Home (~10 kms away), that's why looking for IPMI Card. I can't keep something out of My Server in the cabinet.

    AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

    @CConner said:

    Does the PAUL card also offer virtual media, power actions etc?

    Not sure enough, but it should be.

    AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

  • rcxbrcxb Member

    @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I need an environment where the server would be racked into a cabinet & I can manage it from My Home (~10 kms away), that's why looking for IPMI Card. I can't keep something out of My Server in the cabinet.

    That's not a show stopper. There are 1-port and 4-port terminal servers, as well as IP-KVMs that would fit in a drive bay or even the space of a PCIe slot if you figure out how to mount it.

    A RPi is similarly small enough to mount internally in any available space, so Pi-KVM remains an option as well.

    Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL
Sign In or Register to comment.