Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Kernel 028stab098.1 actually Unstable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Kernel 028stab098.1 actually Unstable

sturdyvpssturdyvps Member
edited March 2012 in General

I found that OpenVZ Kernel version 028stab098.1 is very unstable. I installed it on my Test Server to test this new Kernel before i apply it to my production nodes and from the day i installed it (25th/Feb) my Test Server is crashing every 12-24 hours - my Test Server is empty.

OpenVZ Kernel 028stab098.1 contains many fixes for Kernel Panics, probably in the process of fixing those issues some other issue has been introduced. Released Notes can be found at: http://kb.parallels.com/en/113350

This is just a warning to other Providers, 028stab095.1 is a stable release - i recommend to everyone to not upgrade to 028stab098.1.

Comments

• Thanks for the tip, we were about to try it out as well.

• JacobJacob Member

Hmm, I haven't really thought about any of this but I need a new homeserver to test this on.

Hopefully I can grab another L5420, I just wish the price of RE4 Drives was a little lower.

• What kind of issues were you having with 098? Kernel panics or random reboots or something else?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

FanaticalVPS did the update today to their nodes and so far, so good.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

run stress on your box.

There's no reason for it to be panicing unless there's bad hardware.

The .18 kernels are very stable and really there's just extremely minor bug fixes in place, nothing major like the .32 branch.

Francisco

• sturdyvpssturdyvps Member
    edited March 2012

@Damian Yes my Test Server had Kernel Panics, 028stab095.1 works fine, and no kernel panics nor anything. With 028stab098.1 i got kernel panics every 12-24 hours.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@sturdyvps said: 028stab095.1 is a stable release

As long as client don't run a certain command from a VPS (which brings down the whole hardware node). :)

• @KuJoe - I've sent you a PM about that :)

• We are using these kernels with no issues so far :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @VMPort Well i've had issues with this :)

I've downgraded to 028stab092.2 and everything is stable as it should be.

• Uptime / Load:
    10:19:00 up 8 days, 9:59, 0 users, load average: 2.02, 2.35, 1.86
    Kernel:
    2.6.18-274.18.1.el5.028stab098.1

Only a week in, so we will see :)

• @VMPort I see, keep us updated

• Will do :)

• We tested 028stab098.1 for alittle while before it was moved into the stable tree and had no issues. We've recently upgraded a couple of machines to it which are both under reasonable load and we've had no problems.

If your server is crashing did you make note of the kernel panic/trace and put it up on the Openvz bugzilla?

• The latest OpenVZ kernels want to make me cry due to how unstable they are.