Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Registrar supporting many glue records?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Registrar supporting many glue records?

DamianDamian Member
edited March 2012 in General

So I've been using gandi.net for domain registration since their inception. Up to this point, haven't had any problems with them.

A project I've been working on requires setting many glue records on a domain (20+ per NS).

Gandi allows you to set glue records by copy/pasting a block of IP addresses as text into a text field. It then parses the text block into individual IPs to send to the root servers or whatever magic it does there. This apparently breaks with around 14 IPs or so, due to arbitrary size restrictions on the input of the field to prevent buffer overflows or whatever.

Anyone able to recommend a registrar that allows you to set many addresses per glue record?

Comments

• KuroKuro Member

Internet.bs allows multiple addresses per glue record, however I'm not sure on what the limits, if any, are.

• @Damian said: This apparently breaks with around 14 IPs or so

How many name servers do you need? 14 sounds quite excessive.

Thanked by 1qwerty6666
  • AaronAaron Member

The default maximum packet size for DNS is 512 bytes. You're probably running into that here.

• OVH supports it.

• @kuro & @danielm: Thanks, I'll look into those.

@mitbig: low-end globally-diversified DNS system... 14 is a bit excessive, but at these prices, why not. :)

@aaron: The A record for the NS servers itself is up to 313 bytes, so we're still good there.

• DerekDerek Member

It would make more sence to me to just have 4 good uptime DNS servers and then have them geoip. Have 20 or so LEB As nginx proxies.

• If I remember correctly, nameservers are limited to 13 per domain, as that is all that fits into a DNS packet size of 512 bytes as @Aaron said.

• nabonabo Member

@ivanfilippov said: If I remember correctly, nameservers are limited to 13 per domain, as that is all that fits into a DNS packet size of 512 bytes as @Aaron said.

Exactly, citing RFC 1912:

Make sure your parent domain has the same NS records for your zone as

you do. (Don't forget your in-addr.arpa zones too!). Do not list
    too many (7 is the recommended maximum), as this just makes things
    harder to manage and is only really necessary for very popular top-
    level or root zones. You also run the risk of overflowing the 512-
    byte limit of a UDP packet in the response to an NS query. If this
    happens, resolvers will "fall back" to using TCP requests, resulting
    in increased load on your nameserver.

• KuroKuro Member

Not quite. You may have up to 13 nameserver records, ns1.example.tld - ns13.example.tld, but you may also have mulitple A records (& GLUE) per NS record.

Example:

example.tld.     IN     NS     ns1.example.tld.

ns1.example.tld.     IN     A     1.2.3.4
    ns1.example.tld.     IN     A     8.7.6.5
  • @Kuro said: but you may also have mulitple A records (& GLUE) per NS record.

...annd this is what i'm attempting to achieve. And like I said earlier, we're still under the 512-byte limit for UDP packets by about 200 bytes.

• Turns out internet.bs supports 13 IPs per nameserver record, and that's all you get.

Looks like it's either back to the drawing board, or it's time to trim out the sucky providers and keep the 13 good ones.

• KuroKuro Member

@Damian If this isn't for just hosting your single domain, and is for hosting many domains, perhaps you do not need to register all of your nameservers with your registrar. What I would do is setup up-to 13 nameservers at the registrar for the domain the nameservers will belong to, and then setup 13 NS records, and as many matching A records as you need in your own zonefiles. Then use these as the nameservers for all of your other zones.