Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 15 years of whipping Llama’s Ass WINAMP gonna be silenced forever
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After 15 years of whipping Llama’s Ass WINAMP gonna be silenced forever

The version of Winamp, released on Wednesday, will be the last one in 15 years old history of one of the most popular media player for every true geek of early 2000s.

As AOL announced:

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en

I am not sure how many people here around still use it however those who do Winamp will withdrawn and all its websites with it in one month so make sure to get and save your copy before it completely gone.

Thanked by 2Mark_R pyropyro78

Comments

• Hmm, I stopped using it after Justin left the team.

• Ah.. too bad, it's a nice player :|
    And about the streaming tools or shoutcast, will it still there?

• I'm just change to Foobar last month.

• I still like and use it with old classic skin :)

• ^ doubt they will keep running, based on the wording "winamp.com and associated web services", and I assume associated "web services" are ShoutCast, etc. It's a sad moment, as I am a late 90's geek that found Shoutcast WAY better than Realplayer and Media Player, and still listen to Shoutcast with roku on occasion for the euro stations that play some music that we will never get to hear in the states.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Ah.. too bad, it's a nice player :|
    And about the streaming tools or shoutcast, will it still there?

It's not clear but as @dano said not likely.

You’ll still be able to use copies of Winamp after Dec. 20, though it won’t sync. It’s not clear what will happen with an affiliated product, ShoutCast, an iOS Internet radio player. ShoutCast’s Web services were a part of Winamp.
    Source: http://blog.seattlepi.com/techblog/2013/11/21/llamas-whipped-no-more-winamp-shutting-down/

• It's a sad day ! I used Winamp since 2001
    Any good alternatives ?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@Ash_Hawkridge said:
    VLC

Sadly that's not really alternative unless "clicking file" is the only thing you want player for. Winamp have great playlist, internet radio, search, great visualization, intuitive graphical interface...
    I use VLC too sometimes but it just isn't winamp.

edit
    Forgot to add "auto tag" feature. I don't know any media player with so effective way to organize own collection.

• Spirit said: Sadly that's not really alternative unless "clicking file" is the only thing you want player for. Winamp have great playlist, internet radio, search, great visualization, intuitive graphical interface...

I use VLC too sometimes but it just isn't winamp.

I agree. I used Winamp for quite some time also, back in my shoutcast days :)

VLC Does have one thing going for it though, it pretty much plays anything you throw at it.

• @Maller said:
    It's a sad day ! I used Winamp since 2001
    Any good alternatives ?

Aimp.

• foobar2000 is a good audio player - one of the best on Windows, IMO.

Sad to see them kill Winamp, and if they're smart they'll at least keep the SHOUTcast server project alive.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

is it only winamp asking a farewell or even the associated services... like shoutcast, etc.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

I found this one a week or 2 ago, http://www.clementine-player.org/ been pretty good since :)

• @SpeedBus said:
    I found this one a week or 2 ago, http://www.clementine-player.org/ been pretty good since :)

Panic mass download, hehe? :)

error

Over Quota
    This application is temporarily over its serving quota. Please try again later.

• I used WinAmp, then switched to Foobar2000 many years ago.

Foobar200 is to WinAmp what Nginx is to Apache :)

• @sleddog said:
    I used WinAmp, then switched to Foobar2000 many years ago.

Foobar200 is to WinAmp what Nginx is to Apache :)

+1 Yeah and it's also works perfectly in Wine.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I used winamp for quite a while until I switched to spotify.

• Sad, the original!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There goes my childhood.

• @Maller said:
    It's a sad day ! I used Winamp since 2001
    Any good alternatives ?

Under Windows, I use this -1by1 player

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html#dwn

only 185K, portable, green...

• LeeLee Veteran

I loved winamp :( but yeah foobar is good.

• I remember this from all the way back in the days of Dial-up. I would spend ages hunting for the best radio stations with the lowest bitrate for I could listen to them buffer free.

• I switched to ALSong from Altools.com since a while back. It hasn't got an update for years, but well, it works.

• Winamp also recognized/cut off the small silent intros and outros and would smoothly fade songs over

• It'd be nice if they'd open source it on github or whatever and let someone take it over...

• @BlueVM said:
    It'd be nice if they'd open source it on github or whatever and let someone take it over...

I was thinking the same, but I doubt that AOL would do this.

• I am using winamp for over 5 years.
    This is trully horrible, got kinda attached to it.
    Oh well, since it will still be working but not being updated i am completly happy ^^

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ah maaaan.

I remember searching for streams on my 28k modem :(

They should release the code in to public domain.