Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dirty OVH PR
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dirty OVH PR

I was googling for Taiwan VPS and came across this advertisement:

For nekki sake is this real? OVH in TW?! I go to their website:

Looking good! But when I order:

Of course there is no Taiwan DC. The same trick with Russian Dedicated server:

Dirty marketing trick to deceive and confuse. Nasty nekkis.

Comments

• Well to their credit it did say

Located and hosted in Singapore & Australia data centers, providing low latency to users in Taiwan

Thanked by 2Erisa doughnet
  • @CyberneticTitan said:
    Well to their credit it did say

Located and hosted in Singapore & Australia data centers, providing low latency to users in Taiwan

You are correct, but they still deceive visitor with bogus advertising text on google. And to be honest, I don't read everything on website, just price and specs and push "Order now". I'am kinda "perfect customer" type.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Standalone marketing and sales teams are the worst.

• l2o88jl2o88j Member
    edited February 2021

I also faced this sometime back. Felt same like you

• so, is OVH VPS good?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@notarobo said:
    so, is OVH VPS good?

The VPS are fine.

Thanked by 1notarobo
  • @notarobo said:
    so, is OVH VPS good?

I don't think I've heard anything bad about them, but I have heard about them - which I think is the point.

These hosts are keyword stuffing, hoping that someone who is looking for OVH details (searches for "OVH review", "OVH offer", "OVH special", and so on, or searches of local equivalents like "OVH Russia") will get their link in the search results. And if someone thinks that the service is this OVH their mate uses, that is a bonus.

Could also be that the host is more scammy and doesn't actually know much about hosting beyond that money can be made from it: they've seen OVH VPS products mentioned on forums but misunderstood (due to a mix of language barriers and a lack domain knowledge) and think it is a TLA that they should claim to have/support along with KVM/SSD/VPN/... even if they don't actually know what it is!

In any case: not a host to trust.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@notarobo said:
    so, is OVH VPS good?

I don't think I've heard anything bad about them, but I have heard about them - which I think is the point.

These hosts are keyword stuffing, hoping that someone who is looking for OVH details (searches for "OVH review", "OVH offer", "OVH special", and so on, or searches of local equivalents like "OVH Russia") will get their link in the search results. And if someone thinks that the service is this OVH their mate uses, that is a bonus.

Could also be that the host is more scammy and doesn't actually know much about hosting beyond that money can be made from it: they've seen OVH VPS products mentioned on forums but misunderstood (due to a mix of language barriers and a lack domain knowledge) and think it is a TLA that they should claim to have/support along with KVM/SSD/VPN/... even if they don't actually know what it is!

ovh is fine quit overthinking

• @SirFoxy said:
    ovh is fine

I didn't, in any way shape or form, say it wasn't.

Quit under reading?

@SirFoxy said:
    quit overthinking

Sometimes wish I could, but it'll likely never happen. And as a trait is has probably helped me career-wise and in other techie matters more than it has hindered me in them. So no.

• I hereby summoning @OVH_APAC, @OVHcloud_james , @OVH_Matt , @OVH_UK , @ovhcom for more details.

• DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited February 2021

I'm actually amazed by their website indexing / SEO if they can index all of that keyword

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2021

https://www.ovhcloud.com/asia/vps/vps-japan/ pizdec
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/asia/vps/vps-philippines/
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/asia/vps/vps-indonesia/
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/asia/vps/vps-vietnam/
    etc

I wonder where the quoted part comes from. "wide range of Russian dedicated servers"? No two ways to misread this, even if the page itself will say "with low latency to..." and so on. Do they return a different version of the page to the Google bot? Tried a few requests with the Google user agent, doesn't seem to be any change. Is it whitelisting the Google subnets instead of their user agent? That's yeah... just wow.

Actually the page itself even says "Russia dedicated servers are delivered in under 120 seconds".

• @rm_ said: I wonder where the quoted part comes from. "wide range of Russian dedicated servers"?

It's part of the pages metadata:

<meta name="description" content="Your dedicated server in Russia offers many advantages. Explore the wide range of Russian dedicated servers offered by OVHcloud." />

Check the top of the page source, its up there with these other bits and pieces that Google and embedded links on social media pick up on:

<meta property="og:site_name" content="OVHcloud" />
    <meta property="og:url" content="https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/bare-metal/dedicated-server-russia/" />
    <meta property="og:title" content="Dedicated server hosting Russia" />

• If anyone has twitter account, post this thread link on Octave Klaba wall.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@notarobo said:
    so, is OVH VPS good?

Pretty good as long as you don't need support. I had an OVH VPS for about 6 years and it was running fine.

Thanked by 1notarobo
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited February 2021

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@SirFoxy said:
    ovh is fine

I didn't, in any way shape or form, say it wasn't.

Quit under reading?

@SirFoxy said:
    quit overthinking

Sometimes wish I could, but it'll likely never happen. And as a trait is has probably helped me career-wise and in other techie matters more than it has hindered me in them. So no.

then:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

wat

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2021

What I would be interested to know is if you choose and order form the Taiwan site do you get an IP that geolocates to Taiwan? If you do this this doesn't sound like anything new to me -- hearkens back to the earlier days when there were people here selling OVH France servers with IPs geolocated to all their random different advertised places and selling them as a server located in that location. This could be more of the same.

Now, if you just get a Singapore server with a Singapore geolocated IP as well, then yeah, I would say that for sure seems false advertisings.

All to say, if the IP is geolocated, this isn't some new scam or something they are just starting to do, they have done this for a while now as they realize a lot of people don't understand how to find where there server is located, they just want the WHOIS on the IP to return the correct geolocation.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

edited February 2021

One thing I do like about OVH is that they don't give a damn about you.

For an example, I always use a unique e-mail address for each host I use, and so far, the one used for OVH has been the only one that's been relatively spam-free.

I think OVH sends out like a few marketing email for a year or so. One of them has always been about Christmas discount deal.

I want hosts to leave me alone, and that's what OVH does.

• 'New York VPS' located in Buffalo
    'Amsterdam VPS' located in Haarlem or Lelystad
    'Frankfurt VPS' out of Hetzner

...you were saying?

What I would be interested to know is if you choose and order form the Taiwan site do you get an IP that geolocates to Taiwan

That's just trying your hardest to stretch and bend this out of shape and proportion, to make them at least somehow appear not evil.

Of course you do not. They don't have Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Phillipines IPs. There's nothing special about the ordering URLs on any of the pages, no mention of any geolocated IP on the invoice. Moreover, I just clicked through from the Japan page -- and somehow there it doesn't even offer Singapore, only Australia. And their Australia has a mediocre latency to Japan (much worse than West-coast US).

Sigh, just sue and get it over with.

Sigh, just sue

Oh, you must be from the US? :)

Nah.

@deank said: Nah.

So just geolocated to there, I see. :D

Thanked by 2caracal alexvolk

I live close enough, Canada.

• @LTniger said:
    And to be honest, I don't read everything on website, just price and specs and push "Order now". I'am kinda "perfect customer" type.

What? You did none of that here and tagged all their salespeople. You're the worst.

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

Hello @LTniger ,
    Thank you for tagging me here and i confirm these pages are here for SEO purpose mainly but definitely the content needs to be improved to bring clarity.
    The goal is to attract people looking for a server in a specific country to consider hosting in the closest OVH datacenter for low latency, but not to mislead them.

• @TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:
    And to be honest, I don't read everything on website, just price and specs and push "Order now". I'am kinda "perfect customer" type.

What? You did none of that here and tagged all their salespeople. You're the worst.

How's hanging fanboy?

• verovero Member, Host Rep

That's the type of SEO I did in 2009 and it still works.. Bunch of nonsense text with bolded keywords. Kudos OVH.

• @SirFoxy said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

wat

I would appear to have firmly grasped the wrong end of the stick. I read the original post as other hosts (based in Taiwan and Russia) using the OVH name in their keyword stuffing and other advertising shenanigans. The "not to trust" comment wasn't directed at OVH.

Here I stand, duly corrected.