Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best solution to run something like Vultr, DO, Linode?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best solution to run something like Vultr, DO, Linode?

I was wondering what infrastructure solution is the best to run something like Vultr, DO, Linode? Mainly to provide Cloud VM's on HCI storage like GlusterFS or Ceph.
Can it be something simple like oVirt, Proxmox, Livbirt/QEMU and some custom coding. (not talking about the front end)

Or something complex and heavy like OpenStack?

Thanks

Comments

• I don't think it could be "simple". Many would do it.

This reminds me the ZXHost fiasco.

Thanked by 2Levi Yakooza
  • You will need a professional team(s) for that, and it is clearly not in the low-end range.

• I believe OpenStack is your best bet here, but you would still need a lot of development time on top of it before you even come close to a usable system nevermind a product.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Simple reality: most complex storage systems that take the storage away from the hypervisor and into a larger, more redundant system, have higher rates of issues than drive failures for most well made drive models.

Start small and scale up. QEMU on HVs and build out as desired.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Yakooza said: Or something complex and heavy like OpenStack?

RamNode offers volumes through OpenStack. You might ask @Nick_A how hard it is/was.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Yakooza
  • @raindog308 said:

@Yakooza said: Or something complex and heavy like OpenStack?

RamNode offers volumes through OpenStack. You might ask @Nick_A how hard it is/was.

@Nick_A
    Would you share your experience?

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

RamNode are using fleio I believe.

• no body will tell you it easy. why? because every body come and do same. don't believe? try it