Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP Frameworks: Yii vs Laravel vs Others
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP Frameworks: Yii vs Laravel vs Others

Lot of PHP frameworks around.
I was wondering which one should i learn.

I already work on Drupal CMS. would like to try a framework now.

Comments

• PHP frameworks in general introduce good application structure, well known patterns, easy deployment and custumization.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Cake php gets my vote. Very very easy to get started, secure, frequent updates and large community.

Thanked by 1adxn
  • I prefer Zend. I will admit that it's not that easy to learn though in some respects.

• I'm in the process of learning Laravel - it's very nice and easy and there seem to be a wide expanse of resources you can use.

• Yii framework

Yii is a great framework, and it's relatively easy to get started with it, however, I'm not really keen about the documentation provided - if you need something specific, you might spend a lot of time searching for it. But overall, it's a great framework, with a lot of inbuilt features - like grids, CRUD/Model/Controller generators. I've always wanted some of the components to be more "flexible".

Laravel framework

When I started talking about the documentation - just look what Laravel have to offer:

http://laravel.com/docs

As well as the book:

http://codebright.daylerees.com/

Beauty, isn't it ?

I've only tested Laravel a few months ago, but it looks fantastic.

• symfony2 FTW :)

• Codeigniter 3 version is great.

• My friend got me into Codeigniter. He has been learning it for a few months and loves it

• jhjh Member

Symfony2 gets my vote.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited November 2013

Laravel gets my vote for well-thought out and performance.
    Symfony2 gets my vote for larger scale projects (uses a LOT more resources)
    Zend gets my vote for corporate projects where the code you write really doesn't matter as much as company unison. CodeIgniter was great years ago before others passed them. Kohana just didn't get the community and code base unified. FuelPHP is between kohana and laravel. CakePHP was horrible (bloated, miss use of objects/arrays) last time I tried it?

Checkout http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r7&hw=i7&test=json&l=sg

(Note, I wrote the MicroMVC framework so I know about performance)

• Codeigniter

• AdducAdduc Member
    edited November 2013

leapswitch said: Cake php gets my vote. Very very easy to get started, secure, frequent updates and large community.

Part of my problem with Cake with its insistence on working with arrays instead of model/domain objects. Cake 3.x will be fixing this. Beyond that, we've some issues with unit testing, although that's partially attributable to Cake's refusal to support enums (due to database incompatibility between engines). If you can get past that, it's a decent framework.

• I first learned codeigniter years ago, and now shifted to laravel. Both are easy and fast. IMO codeigniter has the best documentation and a whole lot of tutorials on the net. Although people are shifting to other frameworks from codeigniter.

• go with laravel. never touch cake, wouldn't work with that framework even if im paid twice my rate.

• Codeigniter MVC looks good and easy

• @techkken said:

CakePHP

• go for codeigniter, and get fuelcms, good combo! :)

• Codeigniter's official development has been discontinued. So I don't think it will be wise to start learning codeigniter will be wise. Rather learn Laravel :)

• I would also advise against CodeIgniter. It is full of antipatterns (like storing instance data on class level, using magic strings), it has got a very odd API (there is a method called "effect" [which is a WTF on its own] that loads something and a method called "load" that performs an effect) and its "XSS protection" function is one giant WTF.

Laravel used to have an SQL injection and XSS vulnerabilities in examples in the official documentation. The SQL injection seems to have been fixed by now but there is still no XSS protection if I'm not mistaken. (The only thing I've found is a port of the WTF-xss_clean-function from CodeIgniter.)

• Lot of different replies and views here. I think I will go with laravel now.
    Codeigniter got a lot of good comments and bad too, will avoid since its getting discontinued and is old.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

The new hotness shiny object is Python. My advice if you are considering a new framework anyways is to at least have a look at a Python framework such as Django.

Learning to code in Python isn't that hard if you already know PHP. All the cool kids are doing it. Don't you want to be cool? :)

Drupal + PHP has served me well over the years and I will continue to use it for existing things. All new development is probably going to be done on Python.

Thanked by 2mpkossen k0nsl
  • Laravel 4, dont know why but it is more easy for me.

I tried Yii but didnt feel good with it also simplephp if you want something really again simple :P

• I've been using CodeIgniter up until recently. Didn't know development was discontinued. I'll be using Larvel from now on then. It seems pretty good. Gonna take some getting used to. I don't particularly like the idea of having to download dependencies though.

• AdducAdduc Member
    edited November 2013

Tsume said: I don't particularly like the idea of having to download dependencies though.

Downloading dependencies is only going to become more and more necessary. Most of the top frameworks (Zend, Laravel, Doctrine, CakePHP) are currently using or will be using external dependencies for future releases of their projects. It's already common-place in many Python and NPM projects; the concept is merely being extended into top PHP projects as well. I think once you get used to Composer (or any other dependency manager), you're going to love it. At least, that was the experience my team and I had when bringing Composer into existing projects.