Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MyW] Ryzen migration initiated !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MyW] Ryzen migration initiated !

Just received this email from MyW

Very exciting news :smiley:

Dear clients,

We've initiated the migration to Ryzen servers, this features NVMe, Ryzen 3900X and 128 GB DDR4.

We're currently migrating the shared accounts, the next accounts should be reseller accounts.

Amazing Specs, thanks @MikePT

Good luck !

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Be ready to recompile everything you compiled with -march=native flag.

Thanked by 2MikePT bulbasaur
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@PandoGulf said:

Just received this email from MyW

Very exciting news :smiley:

Dear clients,

We've initiated the migration to Ryzen servers, this features NVMe, Ryzen 3900X and 128 GB DDR4.

We're currently migrating the shared accounts, the next accounts should be reseller accounts.

Amazing Specs, thanks @MikePT

Good luck !

In progress!

Thanked by 1PandoGulf

@yoursunny said:

Can you explain?

• Is myw.pt related to webhorizon? cause I got a similar email from webhorizon.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MikePT said:

@yoursunny said:

Can you explain?

If software is compiled with -march=native flag, the binary contains instructions specific to a particular CPU. If the CPU is changed (either upgrade or downgrade), the binary would trigger "illegal instruction" error.
    Normally, you use -march=native to gain performance, but sacrifice portability.

• I didn't get this email yet, which location is this for?

Thanked by 1MikePT

@yoursunny said:

@MikePT said:

@yoursunny said:

Can you explain?

If software is compiled with -march=native flag, the binary contains instructions specific to a particular CPU. If the CPU is changed (either upgrade or downgrade), the binary would trigger "illegal instruction" error.

Not sure how DirectAdmin handles with it to be honest. This was a server migration to better hardware, I assume it'd compile with the proper flags for Ryzens?

@buzzyLET said:
    I didn't get this email yet, which location is this for?

For DE - if you didn't receive the email then you probably don't have a hosting account in the DE location, although, you may order one now, there's still stock, and it'll be provisioned in the new server... :D

• @buzzyLET said:

For DE - if you didn't receive the email then you probably don't have a hosting account in the DE location, although, you may order one now, there's still stock, and it'll be provisioned in the new server... :D

Oh right I am in LA, is that already on Ryzen or will the migration on that be later? thanks in any case. It's already such a great service that I've recommended to other friends and small businesses <3

Thanked by 1MikePT

Migration has been completed. :D

Clients will be notified shortly - double checking everything in my end.

@buzzyLET said:

@buzzyLET said:

Oh right I am in LA, is that already on Ryzen or will the migration on that be later? thanks in any case. It's already such a great service that I've recommended to other friends and small businesses <3

Hey mate,

Prices in LA for Ryzen are still a bit too high, but I'll see our options there very soon as well!

Thank you for the kind words! <3

• @MikePT said:
    Migration has been completed. :D

Congratulations, now it's AMD Yes! :D

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 2021

congratulations @MikePT , sent you a PM here..

Thanked by 2MikePT Ympker
  • @yoursunny said:

@MikePT said:

@yoursunny said:

Can you explain?

I don't think that @MikePT compiles his own binaries, which would be a massive effort anyway.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • server ip is changed right?
    i.e. if we use A record, we need to use new ip right?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @seenu said:
    server ip is changed right?

Yes, change old ip with the new one.

Thanked by 2seenu MikePT
  • @seenu said:
    server ip is changed right?

Yup, according to the mail I got

Thanked by 2seenu MikePT
  • What is you local? Have a Sit Addr ?

• Thanks @MikePT <3

Thanks for helping each other guys.

All set now.

Old server is being deactivated.

Thank you, wde1, for serving us so well for so long.

We love you, wde1.

[root@wde1 ~]# uptime
    18:53:20 up 569 days, 6:12, 1 user, load average: 2.70, 1.85, 1.75

R.I.P.

BTW I mentioned it's a Ryzen 3900x, it's a 3900 though, my apologies. :P

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MikePT said:

All set now.

We love you, wde1.

[root@wde1 ~]# uptime

R.I.P.

Thanks, God, I managed to transfer my latest data from the old server to the new server before it was trashed. The auto migration to Ryzen servers was taken from backup data day before. I have two clients almost lost their students' exam results that were conducted during the migration period (around 6 hour gaps).

The new server is really powerful. The pages load much faster now.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Too bad the announcement is not "We are migrating to EPYC" an actual server CPU. But I guess that for the price... a Desktop CPU is acceptable.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @MikePT after the migration, all our websites are down and all of our websites using the below NS,
    dns1.wndp.pt
    dns2.wndp.pt

• @quickuse said:
    @MikePT after the migration, all our websites are down and all of our websites using the below NS,
    dns1.wndp.pt
    dns2.wndp.pt

My domain is up using the very same NS:

dns1.wndp.pt
    dns2.wndp.pt

Thanked by 1MikePT

@quickuse said:
    @MikePT after the migration, all our websites are down and all of our websites using the below NS,
    dns1.wndp.pt
    dns2.wndp.pt

Replied to the ticket, CloudLinux issues!

@Hxxx said:
    Too bad the announcement is not "We are migrating to EPYC" an actual server CPU. But I guess that for the price... a Desktop CPU is acceptable.

It's more than acceptable, and it handles the server tasks just fine!

Thanked by 1Hxxx

@smile93 said:

@MikePT said:

All set now.

We love you, wde1.

[root@wde1 ~]# uptime

R.I.P.

Thanks, God, I managed to transfer my latest data from the old server to the new server before it was trashed. The auto migration to Ryzen servers was taken from backup data day before. I have two clients almost lost their students' exam results that were conducted during the migration period (around 6 hour gaps).

Indeed, the backup generation took a while, nothing we can do there, tried to speed it up as much as we could!

• @MikePT said:

@smile93 said:

@MikePT said:

All set now.

We love you, wde1.

[root@wde1 ~]# uptime

R.I.P.

Indeed, the backup generation took a while, nothing we can do there, tried to speed it up as much as we could!

One thing you could try (for LA maybe) is to do your initial sync via backup/restore, but use multiple rsync's for diffs. As often as necessary, but one targeted rsync right before the cutover, immediately followed by one after the original server is quiesced (db/servers shut down is easiest). The preceding rsyncs will do the heavy lifting, and the quick one after services are offline will ensure a consistent database and user data copy with anything that changed in the last minutes/hours.

In my former life I did over a thousand such migrations, testing and moving enterprise systems from physical to virtual.

• At least no one hosts anything important, because the advance notice, was so short, that anyone who may have to update anything externally, could barely make it :)

I guess you get what you pay for.

• @Zerpy said:
    At least no one hosts anything important, because the advance notice, was so short, that anyone who may have to update anything externally, could barely make it :)

I guess you get what you pay for.

Not really. Miguel mentioned about the Ryzen migration more than 6 months ago

Thanked by 1MikePT