Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to install WireGuard in a minute?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to install WireGuard in a minute?

🤷 What is VPN ?

A Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows users to send and receive data through shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. Thus, applications running on an end-system (PC, smartphone, etc.) over a VPN may benefit from individual network features, protection, and management. Encryption is a standard aspect of a VPN connection but not an intrinsic one.

📶 What is WireGuard❓

WireGuard is a straightforward yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPsec while avoiding the massive headache. It intends to be considerably more performant than OpenVPN. WireGuard is designed as a general-purpose VPN for running on embedded interfaces and super computers alike, fit for many different circumstances. Initially released for the Linux kernel, it is now cross-platform (Windows, macOS, BSD, iOS, Android) and widely deployable. It is currently under a massive development, but it already might be regarded as the most secure, most comfortable to use, and the simplest VPN solution in the industry.

⛳ Goals

• robust and modern security by default
  • minimal config and critical management
  • fast, both low-latency and high-bandwidth
  • simple internals and small protocol surface area
  • simple CLI and seamless integration with system networking

🌲 Prerequisite

• CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Redhat, Raspbian, PopOS, Manjaro, Kali, Alpine
  • Linux Kernel 3.1 or newer
  • You will need superuser access or a user account with sudo privilege.
  • Docker Kernel 5.6 or newer

📲 Installation

Instance Installation

Lets first use curl and save the file in /usr/local/bin/

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-manager/main/wireguard-manager.sh --create-dirs -o /usr/local/bin/wireguard-manager.sh

Then let's make the script user executable (Optional)

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/wireguard-manager.sh

It's finally time to execute the script

bash /usr/local/bin/wireguard-manager.sh

In your /etc/wireguard/clients directory, you will have .conf files. These are the peer configuration files. Download them from your WireGuard Interface and connect using your favorite WireGuard Peer.

Docker Installation

docker build -t wireguard https://raw.githubusercontent.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-manager/main/Dockerfile

💣 After Installation

• Show WireGuard Interface
  • Start WireGuard Interface
  • Stop WireGuard Interface
  • Restart WireGuard Interface
  • Add WireGuard Peer
  • Remove WireGuard Peer
  • Uninstall WireGuard Interface
  • Update this script
  • Backup WireGuard Configs
  • Restore WireGuard Configs

🥰 Features

• Install & Configure WireGuard Interface
  • Backup & Restore WireGuard
  • (IPv4|IPv6) Supported, Leak Protection
  • Variety of Public DNS to be pushed to the peers
  • Choice to use a self-hosted resolver with Unbound Prevent DNS Leaks, DNSSEC Supported
  • Iptables rules and forwarding managed in a seamless way
  • Remove & Unistall WireGuard Interface
  • Preshared-key for an extra layer of security. Required
  • Many other little things!
Thanked by 2doughnet WebProject

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I remember you. You were the guy who plagiarized my work and presented it as your own.

Thanked by 2yoursunny ariq01
  • PrajwalPrajwal Member
    edited January 2021

@Nyr
    Let's compare yours and mine, if urs is better than mine than I'll completely delete wireguard manager and if mine is better than yours than u delete ur Repo, deal?

It's like comparing yahoo to google, yeah sure yahoo was the first but once u use google u realize yahoo is complete trash.

Please don't be mad my script is better than yours, Google didn't plagiarize yahoo, they just created a better product than yahoo, same with u and the fact is your just mad someone came in and made ur shit look like trash.

It's not me who's saying this it's the users literally.

No.

Let's just not use original work from a person and ignore the terms of his license.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

apt install wireguard

• @ericls said:
    apt install wireguard

Got any feedback?

• Petition to have this thread deleted. Who’s in?

Thanked by 2jackb sayem314
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Prajwal said: someone came in and made ur shit look like trash

Doesn't look like trash to me and I'm sure others share the same view as well.

Nyr is an old and respected member of this community and I believe majority of the people here and even other related forums are using his scripts for OpenVPN and Wireguard installations.

• @thedp said:

@Prajwal said: someone came in and made ur shit look like trash

Doesn't look like trash to me and I'm sure others share the same view as well.

Nyr is an old and respected member of this community and I believe majority of the people here and even other related forums are using his scripts for OpenVPN and Wireguard installations.

I don't want to support openvpn cause its old, but try my wireguard manager compared to his and if u honestly still choose to use his script then i'll delete my repo.

Yeah he has the first mover advantage but just do a normal comparison and let me know what u think.

• @Moofie said:
    Petition to have this thread deleted. Who’s in?

Make a better product than i will be super happy with it.

@Prajwal said: I don't want to support openvpn cause its old, but try my wireguard manager compared to his and if u honestly still choose to use his script then i'll delete my repo.

"Yours" is very relative since it is based on a fork of a fork of my work and you refused to respect the license for my original work and tried to hide the smoking gun.

Your fork is a lot more complex and has added functionality I perfectly understand it, but mine is more stable and is maintained by someone who can do better than copy and paste other people's work.

Also my work is not a "product", it is just a small open source tool.

• PrajwalPrajwal Member
    edited January 2021

@Nyr said:

@Prajwal said: I don't want to support openvpn cause its old, but try my wireguard manager compared to his and if u honestly still choose to use his script then i'll delete my repo.

"Yours" is very relative since it is based on a fork of a fork of my work and you refused to respect the license for my original work and tried to hide the smoking gun.

Your fork is a lot more complex and has added functionality I perfectly understand it, but mine is more stable and is maintained by someone who can do better than copy and paste other people's work.

How is mine not stable?

Don't get me wrong i update all the time, but the reason why ur repo is so "stable" is cause u don't update it or add new features or anything like that, i looked at ur openvpn script and some of the code in there has not been updated for 7 years.

Don't get me wrong we need stable products but in offline devices, and not on online devices, online devices u can always push an update.

edited January 2021

@Prajwal said: How is mine not stable?

You are literally installing unstable software.

I will not give you more help with other ridiculous stuff, but just so other people can understand the quality of your work:

• You are enabling Debian unstable repos like a dumbass, because you do not understand what a backport is. And neither did angristan from whom you copied this part of "your" script.
    • You use an unofficial copr when you should be installing from the oficial repo. What is your reasoning for using a third party copr? What do you get from it? You do it just because angristan or l-n-s from whom you copied this part of the script, did that and you do not know any better.

Since a lot of stuff changed over time, "your" script now looks way different than mine than originally did, but still contains small parts directly copied from my work (it was much worse previously).

Anyway this is not a discussion about code quality or anything, I told you a year ago to respect my original license which you have never acknowledged. It is a very liberal license and I do not have a problem with people reusing my code or creating other projects, that is not an issue.

You just refuse to acknowledge my work because apparently you are so much better than me.

End of discussion, it makes my blood boil, I will not spend one more minute of my life with this bullshit.

• PrajwalPrajwal Member
    edited February 2021
    1. WireGuard isn't supported officially on older system Debian 8,9,10 and only officially supported on Debian 11 (Reason to enable unstable)
    2. On the literally official wireguard guide it says to enable unstable if it's anything older than Debian 11 Users with Debian releases older than Bullseye should enable backports.
    3. Hey u came to my thread and asked for credits.

My dude, I have never copied ur work, your work is garbage.

Give me examples of code that I copied, anything?
    Oh wait son, no one copied with ur work, ur Repo was created about 1 year after my repo came online.

@everyone I am serious if u want to use code written in 1910 written by your grandfather please use the NYR repo but if u want to use improved code use mine.

• @Prajwal said:
    It's like comparing yahoo to google, yeah sure yahoo was the first but once u use google u realize yahoo is complete trash.

Google let it's product do the talking, let yours do the same. The cream always rises to the top.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Look, you’re new here so please have the decency to at least respect a senior member of the community.

Everyone has their own ways of doing things so if you feel yours is better then people will speak of it sooner or later. There’s no need to lash out at each other.

Oh if you’re planning on sticking around here, please be humble.

• @danceswithpugs said:

@Prajwal said:

Google let it's product do the talking, let yours do the same. The cream always rises to the top.

Not really, There are some repos on github which has one star and people don't know anything about it and it's perfect , and there are products which has 10000s of stars and forks which do nothing.

• @flawsome said:
    Look, you’re new here so please have the decency to at least respect a senior member of the community.

Everyone has their own ways of doing things so if you feel yours is better then people will speak of it sooner or later. There’s no need to lash out at each other.

Sure, Sorry.

• I don't want to run code from a kid who still writes "u" in 2021.

• @Prajwal said:

@flawsome said:

Sure, Sorry.

Focus on the later part my dude, "don't be a dick" that's the unwritten (written?) rule of this community. Be humble , respect everyone's opinion and let your work speak for you. Don't ruin your credibility by arguing with every reply/criticism.

edited February 2021

I just want to clarify for anyone confused by his disinformation:

The initial commit from this person's current repo was not the initial commit of his project. He has removed/hidden the first version of the project and created a new repo. The full history is nowhere to be seen.

My wireguard-install project was indeed created later than his repo. Years ago, there were two wireguard-install repos created by third parties which were forks of my original openvpn-install project and this user forked from them, not directly from me.

But he still needed to respect my license. My projects are licensed very permissively and anyone can fork and modify them, but he removed every reference to me and the original authors. Instead of respecting the original license, over time he has opted to remove most similitudes to the original projects, which legally kind of works, but is not very honest.

Still he forgot to hide some traces and references, like this line which could only come from here. I understand that this is not a lot of proof but unfortunately he removed the initial repo he created and I no longer have a copy.

He has now changed the project a lot and removed almost all of the plagiarized parts, but his attitude and his ego remain.

• PrajwalPrajwal Member
    edited February 2021

@Nyr said:
    I just want to clarify for anyone confused by his disinformation:

The initial commit from this person's current repo was not the initial commit of his project. He has removed/hidden the first version of the project and created a new repo. The full history is nowhere to be seen.

My wireguard-install project was indeed created later than his repo. Years ago, there were two wireguard-install repos created by third parties which were forks of my original openvpn-install project and this user forked from them, not directly from me.

But he still needed to respect my license. My projects are licensed very permissively and anyone can fork and modify them, but he removed every reference to me and the original authors. Instead of respecting the original license, over time he has opted to remove most similitudes to the original projects, which legally kind of works, but is not very honest.

Still he forgot to hide some traces and references, like this line which could only come from here. I understand that this is not a lot of proof but unfortunately he removed the initial repo he created and I no longer have a copy.

He has now changed the project a lot and removed almost all of the plagiarized parts, but his attitude and his ego remain.

The line ur talking about, i found it on Stack Overflow, also if ur so hurt by one line, give me two seconds ill change it.

Also a note to everyone, please feel free to use my code, i don't really care. its public and whatever you do i don't really give a fuck about it, i am not going to be a dick like NYR and be like oh yeah u copied one line from me, i need credits, completely BS, just a person who has a very narrow thinking but overall i like the open source community, Literally on the name is "Open Source" lol.

The problem is not a line, I explained the situation already.

Yet you are still trying to hide the truth, the line did not came from Stack Overflow and the entire pipe has every command in exactly the same position. What a coincidence.

Just admit that you forgot to change that in your quest to remove every reference to the work of others. I am not trying to copyright a simple piece of regex, just trying to make you admit where it came from.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • PrajwalPrajwal Member
    edited February 2021

It didn't come from u, i guarantee that.

Also i am being honest, if i copied code from u, why would i change it?

You only change code that's garbage to something that's better, so lets say someone copies your code and changes it, u know why? cause its garbage.

You don't change good code, you only change bad code.

If someone copied my code i would be super happy, but if someone copied my code and than changed it, i wouldn't think they are trying to hide the code was copied i would think i would bad code.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Nyr said:
    Still he forgot to hide some traces and references, like this line which could only come from here.

When you reference a line in the code, don't link to the branch. Instead, press Y key to get a permalink.
    https://github.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-manager/blob/414207a71dfdba2dec9e8f7c544b8b620b49082d/wireguard-manager.sh#L353

Preserved evidence in case of force-push:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210201013802if_/https://github.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-manager/blob/414207a71dfdba2dec9e8f7c544b8b620b49082d/wireguard-manager.sh#L353

• PrajwalPrajwal Member
    edited February 2021

@yoursunny said:

@Nyr said:
    Still he forgot to hide some traces and references, like this line which could only come from here.

When you reference a line in the code, don't link to the branch. Instead, press Y key to get a permalink.
    https://github.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-manager/blob/414207a71dfdba2dec9e8f7c544b8b620b49082d/wireguard-manager.sh#L353

Preserved evidence in case of force-push:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210201013802if_/https://github.com/complexorganizations/wireguard-manager/blob/414207a71dfdba2dec9e8f7c544b8b620b49082d/wireguard-manager.sh#L353

Damn got me.

Would u like a cookie my good sir?

Also a force push doesn't delete the commits logs, literally it's impossible to delete commit logs.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited February 2021

@Prajwal said: your just mad someone came in and made ur shit look like trash

1 month ban for horribly breaking the "don't be a dick" rule, repeatedly for more than half the posts in this thread. Nyr has been nothing but civil and you call him garbage and shit every single post

@Prajwal said: , i am not going to be a dick like NYR and be like oh yeah u copied one line from me, i need credits, completely BS

Open source licencing that is not public domain requires attribution of practically every single line, or you are in violation. I'm not sure if you've actually been involved in any real open source project, but people will be chased for months for licencing agreements and potential relicencing to get permission for licence changes, otherwise complete rewrites are necessary.

• Remind me in 12-18 months.

I too have made the mistake of eagerly adopting a supposedly 'more secure ' fork of nyr's openvpn script about 4-5 yrs ago. (Not OP's) .

But, after keeping an eye on how nyr maintains his script for broad compatibility, and only introduces breaking changes for critical security vulnerabilities, it now gives me confidence to no longer obsess over the commit logs and just pull his repos to new linux hosts .

It really doesn't change much over the course of a year: Predictable reliable software with broad distro support.
    It doesn't require docker polluting your privileged memory.

https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install

I wish OP all the best in his maintenance journey. I would tone down the hubris a notch if I were OP.

• who let the dog out?

• @budi1413 said:
    who let the dog out?

Before anyone jumps to conclusions about quoted user, some anon with a nyr hating username posted a couple dongs right after my post. Mods Deleted.