Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will docker replace VPS in future?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will docker replace VPS in future?

jpengjpeng Barred

I am not familiar with docker and container and k8s etc.
But it seems everyone is mentioning docker for CI/CD.
Will hosting industry privide docker instead of VPS in short coming days?
What is a container's pros and cons? Thank you.

Comments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

webassembly with replace everything

Thanked by 2yoursunny Aluminat
    edited January 2021

Docker is application container. Hosting providers will not provide application containers, they will provide system containers that can run applications.

Why they don't provide application containers? because they don't write your applications.

Docker is way to ship an application, similar to compiling something into a binary or executable. It is the developer's job to produce a docker container, similar to how it is the developer's job to produce a binary or executable.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @ericls said:
    Docker is application container. Hosting providers will not provide application containers, they will provide system containers that can run applications.

Why they don't provide application containers? because they don't write your applications.

Can i install everything i need in docker like in VM?

edited January 2021

@jpeng said:

@ericls said:

Have you used openvz or lxc before? These system containers are more suitable for the job.

• @ericls said:

@jpeng said:

@ericls said:

Have you used openvz or lxc before?

none experience on them.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited January 2021

Docker? No, absolutely not. There are a few that let you specify your deployments and have it managed but that isn't really "VPS" in any distinguishable way.

Containerization? It already kind of has. I don't know if you realise OpenVZ is a container or that LXC VPSes are slowly becoming more common in recent times.
    Full VM servers will still continue to exist though, as 1) they're the only way to run Windows and 2) they provide a full level of control that a container can't ever do.
    My prediction is that LXC will continue to edge out new OpenVZ deployments for the forseeable future but container and VM style servers will coexist happily like they always have.

• @jpeng said:

@ericls said:

Docker is a container. It can be considered as a VPS, with a shell, and install things the way you do on a normal VPS. However, Docker is mostly used to have a set of pre-established commands and configurations, and contain an application (or multiple applications) for security reasons or for deployment in an project which uses lots of redundancies and load-balancing.

Personally, I do not like Docker, but I do understand that some projects need it.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint jpeng

@jpeng said:

@ericls said:

@jpeng said:

@ericls said:

Have you used openvz or lxc before?

none experience on them.

There are some poviders of lxc
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169473/10-y-lxc-container-in-antwerp/p1
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/165452/microlxc-public-test/p1

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2021

Not in 666 million years.

• @deank said:
    Not in 666 million years.

What about 667 million years?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

In 667 million years, the space as we know will cease to exist.

Probably.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I don't touch docker (oder Kybernetes, ...) with a pole stick.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

I remember about 10 years ago people were asking; Will cloud hosting replace web hosting.... Nop.

Unless you are a SAAS company and want to contain and replicate each instance for each customer, docker actually doesn't make sense in terms of using it for "hosting" purpose.

• @deank said:
    In 667 million years, the space as we know will cease to exist.

Probably.

So you think it will end by state of entropy, or by Big Crunch?