Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very unpleasant and unprofessional experience from Hostens on price rise...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very unpleasant and unprofessional experience from Hostens on price rise...

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited January 2021 in Reviews

I have a shared hosting account with Hostens (not something that I use, one of my several plans that I use for testing, idling etc.). The cost of the plan (s20) was $2.69 till 22/4/2020 per quarter (after a discount offer on LET post from them). They slightly raised the price without a notice on 22/7/2020 to $3.34. OK with that.
I received an invoice on 19/1/2021 with a price of $22.32 (!!!). When I opened their help desk for a chat via their live chat option, I got the answer that they had a price increase and that caused the discount being reset. This is their answer:

The issue here is that you have had a price with a discount. So you paid less than the original price was. the price increase has reset your discount and instead of discounted price you now are asked to pay in full. The base price has increased regardless of your coupon. The issue in your case that the price change has disabled your discount. I am trying to recheck if it can be restored.

The conversation was set on 20th of January. Never got another answer on his "recheck". Today, they suspended my account due to due day for payment, not even getting an answer on the price increase of 600%!
I am a bit disappointed on their continuing price rise on their plans, even for people that are existing clients of them, on both of their companies (Hostens and Time4VPS). Similar bad experience I am having on their main brand, Time4VPS, when they decided to throw to garbage their offer and multiply the cost for existing clients 100% or even 200% (I have a biannually storage plan from 2018 that was costing €30 per two years and they increase the price for the next billing period, on 2022, to €80!!!).

While their service is fair (not something spectacular, common performance, common speeds but stable enough), their practice on not fulfilling their discounts after a short period of time, is very poor... And we do not talk for price rise of 10-20% but for 200%-600%!
Even more when their "normal" prices are much more higher that most of the similar specs well respected providers on LET.

So, IMO, if you are going to grab any future offer from them, have in mind that the offer will not last long, they will sky-rocket the price soon enough after the initial purchase...

Comments

• the btc was rocket this days .. so maybe is came along with a btc and you dont know.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2021

Credit card payment, not BTC... The price rise is on all their product line and it is happening constantly (they often rise their prices).

• If I remember correctly, they were acquired, and the acquirer was not Low End, not even close. So, not surprised.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • cociucociu Member
    edited January 2021

@elliotc said: If I remember correctly, they were acquired, and the acquirer was not Low End, not even close. So, not surprised.

i second this , when someone is buy is tend to grow price.

• @elliotc said: If I remember correctly, they were acquired, and the acquirer was not Low End, not even close. So, not surprised.

So, they should send an email or even a ticket that they are going to reset offers and sky rocket their prices, not let their clients finding out when they get an invoice...

Thanked by 2TimboJones Ticaga
  • Most likely down to cPanel licensing cost increases (if they use cPanel), but really I would've thought your original discount should still apply or some sort of discount could still be applied at least.

I'd be using tickets rather than live chat for anything sales/billing related as well that way they have a direct method of contacting you with a followup rather than you just leaving the chat and that being the end of it.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2021

UPDATE: After my answer to the ticket an hour ago (and after this thread, but I guess that is not the reason) they lowered the price from $22 to $9 (again, 250% higher that the purchasing price).
    So, price hike not 600% but just 250%...

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • @WSCallum said: I'd be using tickets rather than live chat for anything sales/billing related as well that way they have a direct method of contacting you with a followup rather than you just leaving the chat and that being the end of it.

Their chat app is the main method of support, it is their ticketing system. The dialogue on the chat is shown on ticketing system and you got replies via this.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2021

@WSCallum said: Most likely down to cPanel licensing cost increases (if they use cPanel), but really I would've thought your original discount should still apply or some sort of discount could still be applied at least.

CPanel did not rise prices on an 650% base, for a single shared account (not reseller)... Providers should stop using as an excuse the CPanel price rise, when this will cost them only a very very small fraction on their price increase.
    After all, 280% price hike on an old vps storage plan with normal HHDs, hs nothing to do with CPanel...

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • Business is business, not charity.

• hostens and time4vps same ?

then better exercise due diligence

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited January 2021

@jvnadr said:

@WSCallum said: Most likely down to cPanel licensing cost increases (if they use cPanel), but really I would've thought your original discount should still apply or some sort of discount could still be applied at least.

CPanel did not rise prices on an 650% base, for a single shared account (not reseller)... Providers should stop using as an excuse the CPanel price rise, when this will cost them only a very very small fraction on their price increase.
    After all, 280% price hike on an old vps storage plan with normal HHDs, hs nothing to do with CPanel...

Providers saw a 75% increase in pricing per account last month (if they were on partner pricing that is), now making it $0.175 per account per month - Making it $2.10 per year, per cPanel account. That leaves them based on your pricing with $1.24 per year, when you consider payment gateway fees, other licensing costs, support, other server costs - Do you really think that's any profit in there for them? I sure as hell don't think there is.

If you read my reply properly rather than blowing your lid, you'll read that I said I would've thought some sort of discount should still be offered so that the price increase wasn't as significant

• @dodheimsgard said: Business is business, not charity.

Right. If you are older than 15 y/o, guess that you really don't know how business and laws are working in Western countries...
    How would you react if your electricity provider would send you the next invoice for your house with a price hike of 600%, because the plan that you originally signed on was no longer valid and they presented new price plans?
    This is not a completely rhetorical question. In EU, several companies (mobile carriers, electricity or gas providers, couriers etc.) has been convicted or fined heavily because of such abusive practices. The law is strict on that about good business practices, at least in Europe, and a company cannot act unscrupulously.
    The thing is that no one will drag a hosting company in court for a plan of 10-20€ per month because this will cost heavily, but that does not mean this is a fair or legal practice.
    Business is not charity, but on the other hand have to fulfill the laws that protecting the consumers.

• @notarobo said:
    hostens and time4vps same ?

They were both acquired by miss group. They have lots of brands which seem to offer services that look to be very similar to each other.

• @WSCallum said: Providers saw a 75% increase in pricing per account last month (if they were on partner pricing that is), now making it $0.175 per account per month - Making it $2.10 per year, per cPanel account. That leaves them based on your pricing with $1.24 per year, when you consider payment gateway fees, other licensing costs, support, other server costs - Do you really think that's any profit in there for them? I sure as hell don't think there is.

Wrong maths, wrong approach.
    My plan with the initial discount is $10.72 per year. $2.1 is 20% of $10.72. The profit margin is indeed low, but still.
    The price of my is being altered with a new discount and it is costing $9 per quarter, aka $36 per year. The cost for CPanel is $2.1, my price is $36.
    Even if they charge me for all the price increase on CPanel account, this would be $10.76+$2.1=$12.86 per year. Their price increase has nothing to do with CPanel price hike.

Electricity prices, hardware costs and salaries has not being increased the last two years in Europe, at least not significant. Even if there is a rise on their costs, let's say 10%, then, the price should go from $12.86 to $14.15 per year.

Let me add a better profit margin for them (total and only profit, not costs), let's say, a 20%. Then, the price should be $14,15+$2,82=$17 per year.

The price went to $89.28 per year (22.32 per quarter) and with their discount, to $36 per year ($9 per quarter). What the hell does this have to do with the $2.1 total CPanel cost of my account? Nothing...

So, as I said before, providers should not use as an excuse CPanel price increase on every case. And if it is not viable after the price increase of CPanel, pass the total cost of CPanel to the client. Any further increase of the price, has nothing to do with this...

Thanked by 1Hakim
  • @smallbibi said:

@notarobo said:
    hostens and time4vps same ?

They were both acquired by miss group. They have lots of brands which seem to offer services that look to be very similar to each other.

they should stop trying so hard to make low-end offers when they hardly fit in.

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited January 2021

@jvnadr said:

@WSCallum said: Providers saw a 75% increase in pricing per account last month (if they were on partner pricing that is), now making it $0.175 per account per month - Making it $2.10 per year, per cPanel account. That leaves them based on your pricing with $1.24 per year, when you consider payment gateway fees, other licensing costs, support, other server costs - Do you really think that's any profit in there for them? I sure as hell don't think there is.

Wrong maths, wrong approach.
    My plan with the initial discount is $10.72 per year. $2.1 is 20% of $10.72. The profit margin is indeed low, but still.
    The price of my is being altered with a new discount and it is costing $9 per quarter, aka $36 per year. The cost for CPanel is $2.1, my price is $36.
    Even if they charge me for all the price increase on CPanel account, this would be $10.76+$2.1=$12.86 per year. Their price increase has nothing to do with CPanel price hike.

Electricity prices, hardware costs and salaries has not being increased the last two years in Europe, at least not significant. Even if there is a rise on their costs, let's say 10%, then, the price should go from $12.86 to $14.15 per year.

Let me add a better profit margin for them (total and only profit, not costs), let's say, a 20%. Then, the price should be $14,15+$2,82=$17 per year.

The price went to $89.28 per year (22.32 per quarter) and with their discount, to $36 per year ($9 per quarter). What the hell does this have to do with the $2.1 total CPanel cost of my account? Nothing...

So, as I said before, providers should not use as an excuse CPanel price increase on every case. And if it is not viable after the price increase of CPanel, pass the total cost of CPanel to the client. Any further increase of the price, has nothing to do with this...

Yet again, read my response before you type out the bible.

I'll put it here in bold for you as you seem to be blind:

If you read my reply properly rather than blowing your lid, you'll read that I said I would've thought some sort of discount should still be offered so that the price increase wasn't as significant

But now you're saying that the discount has been applied? But your original post clearly says the opposite? So can you clarify whether or not the new price is before or after your current discount.

• Pack your things and move along. If you think that price for provided services is not right or not satisfy you - you are free to go anywhere else. The ball is in your hands now. Crying and spilling your discontent will do nothing.

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2021

@WSCallum said: If you read my reply properly rather than blowing your lid, you'll read that I said I would've thought some sort of discount should still be offered so that the price increase wasn't as significant

Nice bolds. But I am not blind. And I guess, you were not really good on math in school... So, again:

The price has gone from $2.69 per quarter to $9 per quarter using my "new" discount. Without discount, the plan costs $22.32 per quarter.
    CPanel costs according with your comment, is 0.175 per month per account. This is $0.525 per quarter.
    So, the CPanel cost was $0.4 for the $2.69 price and $0.525 for the also "discounted" $9 per quarter.

The price increase of CPanel is 75%. The price increase on my plan is 800% without discount (from 2.69 to 22.32) or 350% with the discount applied (from 2.69 to 9).
    If this price increase (350%, when the cost increased only 75%) is not significant, then, you are not only blind, but uneducated...

P.S.: I really don't think that $9 per quarter is really expensive for a CPanel account on a decent provider. There are cheaper and more expensive ones, it maybe is a fair price. What I do not think is good business practice is not fulfilling the obligation of a discount after a sellout, even more without noticing on a proper time manner your clients, letting to know it only after they receive their invoice and doing it more than once...

• @LTniger said: Pack your things and move along. If you think that price for provided services is not right or not satisfy you - you are free to go anywhere else. The ball is in your hands now. Crying and spilling your discontent will do nothing.

And this is relevant on what? Where the hell did you find me crying on a service that I do not even use?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited January 2021

@jvnadr said:

@LTniger said: Pack your things and move along. If you think that price for provided services is not right or not satisfy you - you are free to go anywhere else. The ball is in your hands now. Crying and spilling your discontent will do nothing.

And this is relevant on what? Where the hell did you find me crying on a service that I do not even use?

Relevant on you creating this topic. All those bolds, exclamation points, percentages and trying to prove a point how world is unfair. Jesus Christ man... Are you living in illusion where business strive to not gain money? I guess no.

Yes, price increased. Yes, that's bad for consumer. Vote with your wallet. I believe there is plenty of their customers which is satisfied with services for given price.

Even if they increase price 1500% - it's their decision. It's possible that they retargeting market and getting rid off bottom feeders for 9$/year. And I do not see a point for you to resent on these events if you don't use their services, bad water under the bridge?

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • @jvnadr said:

@WSCallum said: If you read my reply properly rather than blowing your lid, you'll read that I said I would've thought some sort of discount should still be offered so that the price increase wasn't as significant

Nice bolds. But I am not blind. And I guess, you were not really good on math in school... So, again:

The price has gone from $2.69 per quarter to $9 per quarter using my "new" discount. Without discount, the plan costs $22.32 per quarter.
    CPanel costs according with your comment, is 0.175 per month per account. This is $0.525 per quarter.
    So, the CPanel cost was $0.4 for the $2.69 price and $0.525 for the also "discounted" $9 per quarter.

The price increase of CPanel is 75%. The price increase on my plan is 800% without discount (from 2.69 to 22.32) or 350% with the discount applied (from 2.69 to 9).
    If this price increase (350%, when the cost increased only 75%) is not significant, then, you are not only blind, but uneducated...

P.S.: I really don't think that $9 per quarter is really expensive for a CPanel account on a decent provider. There are cheaper and more expensive ones, it maybe is a fair price. What I do not think is good business practice is not fulfilling the obligation of a discount after a sellout, even more without noticing on a proper time manner your clients, letting to know it only after they receive their invoice and doing it more than once...

I was however I misread your original post and thought it was annual not quarterly that you were referring to.

Regardless given your attitude in this thread I think they'd be better off without you anyway, and will probably be glad to see you leave.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a suitable provider for a service that you don't even use, yet had to make a thread about rather than just cancelling it. Interesting, to say the least.

• it's not a contract?

it's not a charity business?

seems no party, the host provider or the the client has been forced or coerced to sign the contract.

now the company side thinks that they are doing a charity business?

the company A acquired another hosting company B with all of B's clients/markets, but refused to take B's responsibility/duties/liabilities? great opportunities in such a business circle.

my idea is, if it is not regarded as offensive, contract is contract, and don't sign it, or you take what you may see or un-see as the consequence. this is called the business.

of course, in eu or in the states, or any developed nations, money always talks, short term or in long term.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2021

If you are looking to switch and need effortless migration, holler at me :).

Not CPanel but DA has been pretty good lately ;)

Join the family. Family don’t screw each other.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Unpleasant? Yes.
    Unprofessional? Don't know.

I'd say the original price (2.69) was unprofessional to begin with. Well, you do have a choice of walking away since it's a monthly contract.

I don't see a big deal about it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited January 2021

@WSCallum I truly have to thank you. Seriously, much thanks! You made it so easy to put you on the hell no, never buy from them list. Thanks again. Someday people on LET will learn not to shit on a potential customer. The use of cpanel to justify price increased went over like a thud with host mantis and now Hostens. But hey, keep defending them as I am sure you have so many clients you can come on here and flame another potential one.

Thanked by 2hotlineservers jsg

@deank said: I'd say the original price (2.69) was unprofessional to begin with

i make that ~10.38 per year, which many hosts here offer hosting for no worries, several of them posting in this thread too (hehe).

It's deffo annoying when these hosts dont honour recurring discounts; pricing increases i can understand (but should be written into the terms, with an upper limit), but so many hosts neg on their discounts. Wild west in here.

• @seriesn Got the thanks for the pic. :-D

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@Adam1 said:

i make that ~10.38 per year, which many hosts here offer hosting for no worries, several of them posting in this thread too (hehe).

It's deffo annoying when these hosts dont honour recurring discounts; pricing increases i can understand (but should be written into the terms, with an upper limit), but so many hosts neg on their discounts. Wild west in here.

I was talking about "69" ....

• @Adam1 said:

I think the big problem for many goes kinda like this (and this happens to other big corporations as well that doesn’t sell web hosting)

• During early days when you don’t have enough customers, you are just trying to break even. So you offer promos that just covers the bill.
    • You slowly start to get big. Now you are running out either resource or your operating expenses went up.
    • Instead of treating your early batch of customers with love and respect, because they made you who you are, they are being looked as additional expense.

And thus the purge begins. Push for upgrade,
    Increase price, restrict access to things that they initially had access to.

What big corporations however does to combat this is, every time they increase their pricing, they add more value to it and makes the upgrade very lucrative but yet “optional”. But over here, it’s a whole different history.

I will say this today and I will say it tomorrow, shitting on your early customers is a cunty behavior.

With that said, inflation happens and it should be controlled inflation. If my vendor increase their fees, then it is what is and the increase would be distributed evenly. Kinda like how charging sales tax works. % increase is a tricky thing though.

If my operating cost goes up by 10 cents per customers and I am charging 5 cents for the service, increasing 10 cents means 200% price increase. But if I am charging someone $10, that is Marley 1%.

Future hosts who are reading this, price your product right from day one and you will not have to worry about massive price hikes in the future.

Thanked by 1FrankZ