Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

weloveservers problems, is this normal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

weloveservers problems, is this normal?

So I have been with weloveservers for nearly a year now (1 year next month) and I seem to have nothing but problems with them.

The most recent one is i came online today to find my server offline with no reason why.

I emailed their support ticket to get a response of "it had a high load causing the node to be unstable". So no reboot was done, no ticket emailed to me to notify me of this, just a hard shut-down on my vps.

Is this normal of a smaller vps host?

I think I may move to digitalocean since they are a cloud-based host so i won't have stupid problems like this.

Comments

• serverianserverian Member
    edited November 2013

@liamdawe said:
    So I have been with weloveservers for nearly a year now (1 year next month) and I seem to have nothing but problems with them.

The question is why would you stay with some company that gave you 1 year of problems.

Digital ocean is not cloud based. They have no redundancy. They use worse disk setups than low end providers. Use IWStack.

• tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited November 2013

@liamdawe said:

The most recent one is i came online today to find my server offline with no reason why.

I emailed their support ticket to get a response of "it had a high load causing the node to be unstable". So no reboot was done, no ticket emailed to me to notify me of this, just a hard shut-down on my vps.

I think I may move to digitalocean since they are a cloud-based host so i won't have stupid problems like this.

it wasn't normal :)

most host will suspend you if you "had a high load causing the node to be unstable"

• Then why do digital ocean have "Simple Cloud Hosting" in massive letters on the homepage?

• @liamdawe said:
    Then why do digital ocean have "Simple Cloud Hosting" in massive letters on the homepage?

Because they believe hourly billing and ability to create remove instances is the only definition for cloud.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • serverian said: The question is why would you stay with some company that gave you 1 year of problems.

Annual billing?

@liamdawe - I have two with them in Los Angeles and have only had one quickly resolved issue in 6 months. I had another one in Dallas but gave up on it after three months due to reoccurring problems. Where was yours?

• OxideOxide Member
    edited November 2013

Good Morning @liamdawe,

First of all I'd like to thank you for being a customer for a year.

I have updated your support ticket. If you run a search for our company on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk this is absolutely not the normal. I agree with you that notification should have been sent out and this is what we do when it comes to abuse notifications. I am still investigating with the tech. Generally our policy when it comes to CPU abuse on a VPS is to stop the VPS and notify the client. No LE/VPS hosting provider will tolerate a high CPU usage because CPU is shared. Use a 20.00 server load for example and what happens is node starts crippling, and performance starts slowing down for everyone else who's VPS is hosted by that node. This is why it is not possible for LE*/VPS providers to let you use an unlimited amount of CPU on a VPS server. If you are looking for dedicated CPU only a dedicated server can help you.

If you'd like a prorated refund so you can move on, we'll happily grant one. I have updated your support ticket with my personal contact information should you ever have a need to speak with me directly. Thank you for choosing WeLoveServers.

Chris

Thanked by 2perennate ironhide
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited November 2013

I must say that @Oxide's comment is one of the most professional responses to a customer I've seen recently. Some of the responses have ranged from being downright offensive, insulting, argumentative, or even divulging personal details of the client.

Chris has been courteous, responded specifically to the question, and responded even without talking about the specific abuse.

Hats off to you. I've got a node with you that's been up for 81 days with no issues.

Thanked by 2Oxide perennate
  • I have been WLS customer for more than 3 months and I didn't encounter such behaviour, maybe just the tech's fail?

• Chris is great, the rest of his team are not sadly, I have emailed him back and we will see what happens.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited November 2013

Happened to me too. No communication until I found it offline for almost a week (yes, monitoring script fail on my part).

edit: cleared in PM.

• @DalComp said:
    Happened to me too. No communication until I found it offline for almost a week (yes, monitoring script fail on my part).

Hey Dal,

I had a word with Chris and it seems like both of you have discussed this and resolved over a PM. Looks like this was a confined issue to your VPS and your VPS only... For the record, we have never had a server down for that long. We monitor all of our servers closely with Observium and a custom monitoring system that @Oxide coded, as we understand the necessity of uptime. Should we have any planned downtime, we always publish them in our Server/Network Status page, and also send an email to the affected clients. If there is anything else you need clarification on reach out to Chris or myself.

I also wanted to add that we have some positive news! Since I know a lot of you at LEB and LET have been waiting for us to restock on our UK VPS's, We Love Servers has now released further stock available for ordering immediately in the UK Datacenter :)

• @liamdawe said:
    Then why do digital ocean have "Simple Cloud Hosting" in massive letters on the homepage?

They can write whatever they like. They could have dedicated servers. Just marketing.

• @concerto49 said:
    They can write whatever they like. They could have dedicated servers. Just marketing.

Yeah... cloud is a broad term that can be interpreted differently :P

• N_Serian said: I had a word with Chris and it seems like both of you have discussed this and resolved over a PM.

Yes, we have. Thanks to both of you. :)

• @liamdawe said:

Definitely not normal nor reliable or acceptable.

• I have 40GB of RAM in total for all my VPSs with WeLoveServers. Still happy with their support.
    Previously, when my system is under setup phase, there are several times my VPS shutdown without any notice, which is fine for me as it is my fault to affect the hostnode. The only thing I requested is to have information for which resources are over-consumed so that I can tune the thing.
    As my system is stable now, no idea how they are handling the "abusive" VPSes. But for me, if a provider can give such detail information, it will be very great for any customer even if their VPS is shutdown. Of course, I have no idea whether it is technically possible or not.