Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach irritating vps for kind home.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach irritating vps for kind home.

Hey guys,

Have a virmach vps from their bf sale.

Memory
896 MB
Disk Space
10 GB
Bandwidth
250GB

I am giving it to anyone who is tolerate for virmach bullying emails.(Free of Charge)
this is the latest email that I got.

Hello,

When you purchased your service, you opted in for the standard level of processing power, which is a semi-shared CPU.

We've noticed that your service has been using lots of processing power, or more specifically 107.26% CPU for multiple hours. We just need you to reduce your usage to fall in line with our standard AUP, which allows you to burst to 100% but needs to be at a lower amount on average. You also have the option to have your CPU be dedicated to you, in which case you may purchase the high CPU addon if it's available for your plan.

The system we used to identify your server's potential abuse is simple but unfortunately does not give us logs as to what occurred on your server that caused the higher usage. The system measures the CPU for each VPS separately over a 2 hour period and provides us the usage value that we've provided above to you, if that value is higher than what is allotted to your server according to our AUP more than 3 times in one week then we send out this warning.

Please let us know if you have any questions or feel that this message was sent in error. We require an action (reducing usage or purchasing a dedicated core) or your service may be temporarily powered off in the future. We would like to ensure you and others have the best experience possible.

Thank you.

idk what is wrong with this people but the funny thing is nothing is installed on the vps.(totally Idling)

Please tell me if anyone interested.

P.S I think I didn't Break any rule in the forum since this is not a selling.

Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• Im interested

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited January 2021

I know LET's favorite pastime is to shit on VirMach, but in this case did you actually check if you weren't using the CPU at that rate? or did you just assume the report was false just because you think the VPS was idling?

Thanked by 2TimboJones Chronic
  • @jmgcaguicla said:
    I know LET's favorite pastime is to shit on VirMach, but in this case did you actually check if you weren't using the CPU at that rate? or did you just assume the report was false just because you think the VPS was idling?

I actually checked. idk what is the reason for using that much of CPU even nothing installed. anyway I don't want to keep this my idling list either. have paid it for upcoming December.

• How did you check your CPU usage in the past (the time referred to in VirMach's ticket)? If you are not using the VPS you should power it off. That way you can be sure, there was nothing running on it.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • If you were idling it, and didn't do anything on it (eg. changing password, installing fail2ban), you got brute forced and someone's doing something on your vps.

Also it costs like $4 or so to transfer on virmach.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • I had the same experience with Virmach. Barely using the servers and received these kind of e-mails. Cancelled and moved on.

Thanked by 2Sanjue007 JasonM
  • notarobonotarobo Member
    edited January 2021

same problem also, fresh install / change PW no resolve. only can turn off.

• @notarobo said:
    same problem also, fresh install / change PW no resolve. only can turn off.

What is purpose of getting a vps to keep it power off. That's the question pinging in my head.

Thanked by 3notarobo kkrajk levnode
  • @saibal said:
    How did you check your CPU usage in the past (the time referred to in VirMach's ticket)? If you are not using the VPS you should power it off. That way you can be sure, there was nothing running on it.

I checked it by powering off. Funny thing is i keep getting this warning tickets.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Sanjue007 said: I checked it by powering off. Funny thing is i keep getting this warning tickets.

This should be followed up by vir & mach Inc.

• @Sanjue007 said: I checked it by powering off. Funny thing is i keep getting this warning tickets.

That would be interesting if it were true.

Where is it at?

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Sanjue007 said:

@saibal said:
    How did you check your CPU usage in the past (the time referred to in VirMach's ticket)? If you are not using the VPS you should power it off. That way you can be sure, there was nothing running on it.

I checked it by powering off. Funny thing is i keep getting this warning tickets.

And what they answered when you replied saying that ?

• @ben47955 said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@saibal said:

They never replied to tickets

Thanked by 2kkrajk levnode
  • @Sanjue007 said:

@ben47955 said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@saibal said:

Maybe you are doing something wrong then ?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Sanjue007 said: They never replied to tickets

Since it has been powered off, how many of those emails have you gotten?

Thanked by 1yoursunny

Could you post a screenshot of your SolusVM Log?

• Calling bullshit. I'm sure @Virmach will have a paragraph or 12 that correctly lists out the tickets and timeline.

You don't know what you're doing and shouldn't have a VPS.

Thanked by 2dosai Chronic
  • I haven't tried virmach, but seeing your discussion, I decided to stay away from virmach and laugh :D

• Seeing this discussion, OP should be called "Snowflake" for referring to an abuse email as "bullying".

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Chronic
  • Virmach? No, thank you. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Makes no sense in dealing with Virmach.

• @redgreenblue said:
    Virmach? No, thank you. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Makes no sense in dealing with Virmach.

What is your story ? But you are probably wrong.

• There is no story just like there are no SolusVM logs.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@jmgcaguicla said: I know LET's favorite pastime is to shit on VirMach, but in this case did you actually check if you weren't using the CPU at that rate? or did you just assume the report was false just because you think the VPS was idling?

I'm not going to address anyone specifically or the OP here, but in case you are interested in hearing what usually happens, I'll give a brief (but probably still TLDR) explanation.

Usually, if someone claims that their service is idling, not being used, or has nothing installed, that could actually be a big part of the problem and it doesn't mean we're just making it up which some people very strongly believe. If the VPS was never powered on, it will continue to run so if nothing is installed and it's just sitting there then it can be neglected and prone to more attacks. This usually is also has a very high correlation to the service not even having a secure password set, since the user may want a simple password to remember quickly/doesn't have important data there, so it can be compromised. If it does have an application/modification made, it's possible that the script that may be running on there, over time, acts up. Memory leaks can happen, swap can end up thrashing I/O which in turn utilizes processing power, and so on. Other than that, if the VPS was "offline" and the node crashed or had maintenance, it powers back on automatically at this time, but we may change this in the future or allow customers to "freeze" their service which is basically a self-requested and lifted suspension. And finally, the largest usage levels (that are not intended to be abuse) when related to an "unused" service would be the operating system having errors or having not installed correctly, being corrupted, or in some kind of reboot/update loop. I'm oversimplifying this to a large degree to not write an essay but in the end, the answer here is that it is actually using that CPU, usually maxed out plus I/O usage, over several hours.

@saibal said: How did you check your CPU usage in the past (the time referred to in VirMach's ticket)? If you are not using the VPS you should power it off. That way you can be sure, there was nothing running on it.

This is a large problem since we can't just retroactively look at what happened since we can't just without consent log into the service, nor do we plan on doing that. Oh, and we don't have time travel, so in some of these cases where the customer is "not using" the service, we end up looking to the customer as if we're for whatever motive, fabricating the usage level.

We do get this message a lot though or some varying level of it, to where the customer logs in and checks and nothing is being used because it was in the past. In this case, it wasn't powered, but a lot of times a reboot fixes the problem too.

@LTniger said:

@Sanjue007 said: I checked it by powering off. Funny thing is i keep getting this warning tickets.

This should be followed up by vir & mach Inc.

There is absolutely no situation where a customer would power down the service, it remains powered down, and our system detects usage on it and sends further communication regarding usage.

It's physically not possible based on how the system currently functions and it's very unlikely a bug would occur with this end result since there would have to be multiple stages of it just fabricating data for no reason.

@ben47955 said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@ben47955 said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@saibal said:

Maybe you are doing something wrong then ?

If a customer responds back to the "Please reduce your usage" ticket we always respond back, assuming the customer is looking for assistance in locating the usage, believe the message was sent in error, or just wants us to take a look at the logs or their VPS.

There is currently a single ticket out of these "reduce usage" tickets where the customer replied, that haven't been answered. Perhaps it's the OP.

Whether or not this is the OP, it looks like the reason for the usage on this one is that the VPS is compromised, and it sent out an attack so it would make sense as to why they received a message such as this one. Otherwise, if it not compromised, then it just sent out an attack, which still explains why they received an accompanying CPU usage message.

Thanked by 1Chronic

@TimboJones said: Calling bullshit. I'm sure @Virmach will have a paragraph or 12 that correctly lists out the tickets and timeline.

You don't know what you're doing and shouldn't have a VPS.

@TimboJones said: Seeing this discussion, OP should be called "Snowflake" for referring to an abuse email as "bullying".

Had to split off this reply due to the "you're talking too much" Cloudflare error. I'm trying to avoid riling people up here or sound like we're blaming others by thoroughly explaining situations. I don't have the customer's account pulled up since no information was provided there, so I am answering these questions/concerns on a more general basis.

I do want to state though that the message was specifically written in a way, and rewritten, to not appear as "bullying" or negative in any way. We actually had previous versions of this email that triggered a lot of people so we took that feedback and rewrote it several times to sound very neutral and only informative. Here is some commentary if you're interested.

TITLE: Please reduce your CPU usage on "Hostname" 

Commentary: You might notice that the formatting for the title is even changed to not look like an "alert" like our other titles, such as [WARNING] or [IMPORTANT] and those being more immediately regarding the service "using high amounts of CPU" or whatever. It's meant to be a very light title, that gives the hostname, lets people known that they should please reduce usage.

Hello,

Commentary: This didn't use to have "Hello" included, but we changed it to an e-mail format since we noticed a lot of people probably looked at the e-mail instead of the ticket.

When you purchased your service, you opted in for the standard level of processing power, which is a semi-shared CPU.

Commentary: I believe at some point in time we used to quote the AUP here, the specific amounts, and didn't call it "opting" for a standard level of processing power and instead stated that they do not have high/dedicated CPU which confused some people or made it seem legalese. We just want to bring up a couple important points. [1] That the customer was presented with the CPU being dedicated as an option during the checkout process, which they did not select. [2] That the package they purchased was basically advertised as having some shared level of processing power.

This helped tremendously, as many customers did not remember what they purchased or how it works but this way they can go back and basically verify if they wanted to on the purchase page this information in a very quick and easy to read manner.

We've noticed that your service has been using lots of processing power, or more specifically 107.26% CPU for multiple hours.

Commentary: We state that we "noticed" this very specifically because the previous version we basically brought up our anti-abuse system, and data being logged. Again, this made some customers feel for whatever reason that we were immediately accusing them of purposefully abusing their service. This works out a lot better. We still include the usage level, but try to state it very quickly and shortly.

We just need you to reduce your usage to fall in line with our standard AUP, which allows you to burst to 100% but needs to be at a lower amount on average.

Commentary: We bring up the AUP here, but do not link it, do not quote it, and do not state the numbers there. We focus less now on what they're "not permitted" to do which was the previous language but on what they are allowed to do. This essentially states the same thing but again, this message ends up working out much better.

You also have the option to have your CPU be dedicated to you, in which case you may purchase the high CPU addon if it's available for your plan.

Commentary: This is very specifically presented as an option. In previous versions customers thought we were trying to upsell/force them into another product so this version just mentions it very lightly.

The system we used to identify your server's potential abuse is simple but unfortunately does not give us logs as to what occurred on your server that caused the higher usage.

Commentary: We want customers to know that the system is simple, therefore less prone to potential bugs, false calculations, and proceed to explain it in a very basic fashion. The main point we want to send across here is that we do not have logs and did not snoop into what services they were running and that we base it specifically on one thing.

The system measures the CPU for each VPS separately over a 2 hour period and provides us the usage value that we've provided above to you, if that value is higher than what is allotted to your server according to our AUP more than 3 times in one week then we send out this warning.

Commentary: Customers previously had concerns about the system just sending this out willy nilly on the first instance of potential slight over-bursting. This is why we found it important to let them know that we ran this multiple times in the past week as well. We still call this a "warning" but perhaps we should change it to an "alert" instead and focus more on this being a notice for them to look into it more. We just wanted to keep it as short as possible. We also mention how the CPU is measured separately since a lot of people had concerns that other services affected the number somehow, but this message, unfortunately, did not stop that from happening.

Please let us know if you have any questions or feel that this message was sent in error. 

Commentary: I don't believe we used to have this bit about the message being sent in error, perhaps this is what caused a lot of the newer influx of people to think it is an error, but we just added this because we wanted customers to know that we are open to being reasonable and taking a look at potential false positives. This message already doesn't have any negative actions taken, the service isn't even powered down, so even if it was sent as a false positive it would not be a large issue. And of course, we want to encourage responses here because if we do not receive a response then the customer may silently be confused about this or believe they cannot reply.

We require an action (reducing usage or purchasing a dedicated core) or your service may be temporarily powered off in the future.

Commentary: This used to tell the customer that they WILL be powered off on the next case, and it also used to introduce the customer to the concept of suspensions but it completely sent the wrong message. We also do not just power down the VPS on the next instance, there are other factors now. So at this point we are just trying to let the customer know about the potential of a powerdown. I think we can still improve on this, maybe we can get some feedback here. I'm thinking we should in a better way just represent that the customer should just take a look and that while it may not necessarily be done, it is best as we want to avoid a situation where we have to take any action. Let me know.

We would like to ensure you and others have the best experience possible.

Commentary: This line, I believe, got us a lot more replies from customers cooperating with us and working with us to see what's wrong. It's important for the customer to know that our goal is to ensure smooth services for everyone and to ensure they do not feel like they're having a bad experience as a result of this notice (and if they do, that we're willing to help if they contact us back.

Thank you.

Commentary: Again, more of an e-mail format and being courteous.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Chronic
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:
    I'm sure @Virmach will have a paragraph or 12

I count 24 paragraphs.

@VirMach said:
    The system measures the CPU for each VPS separately over a 2 hour period and provides us the usage value that we've provided above to you, if that value is higher than what is allotted to your server according to our AUP more than 3 times in one week then we send out this warning.

There's a loophole here: I can basically use 100% CPU for 4 hours every week without triggering the warning.
    If I only encode one push-up video every week, 4 hours would be more than enough.

@yoursunny said: There's a loophole here: I can basically use 100% CPU for 4 hours every week without triggering the warning.
    If I only encode one push-up video every week, 4 hours would be more than enough.

There's plenty of loopholes and there are plenty of people who specifically go out of their way to abuse our system to profitably mine Monero, for example, in the past. Since they have hundreds of services in these abuse farms they can adjust the settings on each different VPS, see which ones get suspended, which ones don't and repeat until they basically figure out the exact algorithm we use. This is one of the reasons we are sometimes hesitant to provide extreme detail when it comes to what figures our anti-abuse system uses, which means we state the absolute worst-case scenario, and then from that people believe we are extremely strict.

We're not concerned with people taking advantage of bursting. We want people to use their services. There are people that burst for days without noticing it (or receiving a notice) because in some cases we allow that as long as it's natural usage and does not fit into what we would consider as someone's script probably overloading.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Stay away from Virmach, stay away from troubles.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • Aren't they over selling

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • @VirMach said: If the VPS was never powered on

But can a powered off vps consume cpu? My understanding and observation so far (very limited) is that the turned off vps doesn't

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited January 2021

Cancel your VPS from Virmach, and move to some standard VPS provider.

Thanked by 2Sanjue007 notarobo