Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Object Storage providers with Paypal, bandwidth and snapshot/backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Object Storage providers with Paypal, bandwidth and snapshot/backup?

Hello,

I am looking for s3 compatible object storage providers which accept Paypal as payment.

I do use CloudFlare free plan for CDN but I think I still need sth. with bandwidth.

It would be nice if it would have snapshot/backups or I would have to do daily backups which they don't like I think.

Right now the amount of data is 10 GB (70k files) and will increase to 100-200GB in the next 2 years. It's for a website and I have a lot of PDF files and images to host.

Thanks.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Have you looked into BackBlaze B2?
    @Francisco BuyVM has a nice storage solution with slabs at 1TB/$5/Month (starting at $1.25 for 256GB). If you want to have more control over your data.

Thanked by 3Trav seriesn jokjok
  • jokjokjokjok Member
    edited January 2021

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @Francisco BuyVM has a nice storage solution with slabs at 1TB/$5/Month (starting at $1.25 for 256GB). If you want to have more control over your data.

I believe BackBlaze doesn't have Paypal as payment option.
    I can't go with regular VPS storage solutions as I use a plug-in to offload my attachments. I am on a Hetzner server and I am happy, but storage is not cheap there. And by using a plugin I can offload my attachments to an object storage server (s3) while keeping my main site on Hetzner.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jokjok said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

I believe BackBlaze doesn't have Paypal as payment option.
    I can't go with regular VPS storage solutions as I use a plug-in to offload my attachments. I am on a Hetzner server and I am happy, but storage is not cheap there. And by using a plugin I can offload my attachments to an object storage server (s3) while keeping my main site on Hetzner.

Min.io is pretty awesome and lets you turn a server into an S3 storage gateway :)

Many people use it on our slices + slabs.

Francisco

Thanked by 3imok jokjok o_be_one
  • I am yet to find S3 compatible object storage with offsite backup. You will have to setup your own backup system. The concept of object storage defies the backup concept. It means that you actually don't need to backup your data for redundancy because it is already copied at least 3x.

For 200GB data I suggest to just get AWS S3 or backblaze B2 or Wasabi. Rather than setting up your own Minio instances.

But if you have high bandwidth usage then I suggest using block storage or just even storage VPS. Get buyvm slabs , letbox bbox, and other storage vps from other prviders. Setup minio, have at least 2 instance on separate dc.

Thanked by 3Francisco jokjok letbox
  • Min.io is pretty awesome and lets you turn a server into an S3 storage gateway :)

Francisco

That sounds interesting, so I can turn basically any server in to a S3 storage gateway? I am not the best server admin, is it difficult to install and manage it? I will look into your plans.

@cazrz said:
    I am yet to find S3 compatible object storage with offsite backup. You will have to setup your own backup system. The concept of object storage defies the backup concept. It means that you actually don't need to backup your data for redundancy because it is already copied at least 3x.

I think you misunderstood. I dont need offsite backup if they do snapshots/backups of their own stuff. So in case the node goes boom, that they can recover my stuff. Otherwise I have to do my own backup system but then the problem is they don't like downloads and limit you with egress charges.

For 200GB data I suggest to just get AWS S3 or backblaze B2 or Wasabi. Rather than setting up your own Minio instances.

I don#t have a credit card. I need Paypal as payment options. None of the mentioned work without a credit card.

But if you have high bandwidth usage then I suggest using block storage or just even storage VPS. Get buyvm slabs , letbox bbox, and other storage vps from other prviders. Setup minio, have at least 2 instance on separate dc.

Yes, it looks like the best option. I am hearing for the first time minio. Hope it is not diffucult to set it up.

• @jokjok said: That sounds interesting, so I can turn basically any server in to a S3 storage gateway? I am not the best server admin, is it difficult to install and manage it? I will look into your plans.

Not difficult imo, it's pretty straightforward to setup.

Using min.io on Francisco's (BuyVM) 3 locations - top notch stuff.

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • @jokjok said:

I think you misunderstood. I dont need offsite backup if they do snapshots/backups of their own stuff. So in case the node goes boom, that they can recover my stuff. Otherwise I have to do my own backup system but then the problem is they don't like downloads and limit you with egress charges.

Nope, I did not misunderstood you. I think however you did misunderstood me :) snapshots/backups or offsite backups are the same. Making a copy in case of disaster.

Object storage makes at least 3 copies of your files, each into separate location.
    Minio is an s3 compatible object storage. When you setup minio then you will have at least 4 copies. But you will want to use the distributed minio which is IIRC 5 copies minimum.
    Let say you can have buyvm slice (1GB) with 256GB slab and Letbox 1GB with 256 block storage. You can then setup 3 copies on buyvm and 2 copies on letbox. Therefore no need of backup in case one provider fails. You can setup 3 providers if you want more redundancy.

Thanked by 1jokjok

@cazrz said: Get buyvm slabs

Yes, I agree, get slabs ;)

Francisco

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

Where's my slices in LUX :) I want more!

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

Do I understand it correctly that I just can't get the slabs? I need to order slices from you, too?

@jokjok said: Do I understand it correctly that I just can't get the slabs? I need to order slices from you, too?

Correct, slabs are an addon drive that you attach to a slice in the same region.

@cazrz said: Where's my slices in LUX I want more!

They all sold out super fast. I'm sending another 250 - 400TB over there in the next few weeks. I'm just trying to source enough hardware to make it worth it. The tariffs makes that hard.

Francisco

Thanked by 2jokjok o_be_one
  • Hmm, I also need it for the European region. What are other alternatives in EU?

• @jokjok said:
    Hmm, I also need it for the European region. What are other alternatives in EU?

TransIP - 2TB @ 10euro

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • @cazrz said:

@jokjok said:
    Hmm, I also need it for the European region. What are other alternatives in EU?

TransIP - 2TB @ 10euro

It's a bit an overkill but thanks :D.

• @jokjok said:

Min.io is pretty awesome and lets you turn a server into an S3 storage gateway :)

Francisco

That sounds interesting, so I can turn basically any server in to a S3 storage gateway? I am not the best server admin, is it difficult to install and manage it? I will look into your plans.

@cazrz said:
    I am yet to find S3 compatible object storage with offsite backup. You will have to setup your own backup system. The concept of object storage defies the backup concept. It means that you actually don't need to backup your data for redundancy because it is already copied at least 3x.

I don#t have a credit card. I need Paypal as payment options. None of the mentioned work without a credit card.

Yes, it looks like the best option. I am hearing for the first time minio. Hope it is not diffucult to set it up.

No minio isn't difficult to setup i googled setup minio on (insert Linux os flavour here) and found loads of guides .... I just followed one.... took about 10-20 mins

And I use it with WordPress with s3 compatible file offloading stuff

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • @chip said:

No minio isn't difficult to setup i googled setup minio on (insert Linux os flavour here) and found loads of guides .... I just followed one.... took about 10-20 mins

And I use it with WordPress with s3 compatible file offloading stuff

Nice to hear. Thanks. I think I will get it to work as long as any storage VPS can be turned into that.

• We have a deal for 1 TB on LEB and 2 TB on LES if you're interested.

Look for Novos.be :)

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • jokjokjokjok Member
    edited January 2021

@chip @cazrz @jahrinc

So I got a cheap VPS storage from here to test things out. Later I will move to a bigger provider if all goes fine.

So I got CentOS 7. Then I installed minio and it runs. But I can't access it via the browser. It times out. Actually I can't access my storage vps ip at all via browser. Again, it times out. SSH and SFTP access works.

Would you have a clue what might be the problem here?
    Do I need to install other stuff first cause it is a fresh CentOS install?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Snapshots / Backups is the hardest part of what you are requesting here.

I've used DigitalOceans (>2yr ago), Vultrs (current) & Linodes (current) and its something lacking accross the board.

Thanked by 1jokjok

@SplitIce said:
    Snapshots / Backups is the hardest part of what you are requesting here.

I've used DigitalOceans (>2yr ago), Vultrs (current) & Linodes (current) and its something lacking accross the board.

How would this even work though? I guess a restore would replace the entire bucket with the backup? Or make it restore to a new bucket all together?

Francisco

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

You can run minio on a vps with raid and backup

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: How would this even work though? I guess a restore would replace the entire bucket with the backup? Or make it restore to a new bucket all together?

The latter would be the better implementation. Although even the former would be a good addition since for the most part its likely to be used as a guard against compromise / script running awry.

• Don't think people read my latest comments at all. But thanks for the replies though.

• @jokjok said:
    @chip @cazrz @jahrinc

So I got a cheap VPS storage from here to test things out. Later I will move to a bigger provider if all goes fine.

So I got CentOS 7. Then I installed minio and it runs. But I can't access it via the browser. It times out. Actually I can't access my storage vps ip at all via browser. Again, it times out. SSH and SFTP access works.

Would you have a clue what might be the problem here?
    Do I need to install other stuff first cause it is a fresh CentOS install?

Things to try out:

1. Do you know which port it runs on? Are you sure it's bound to your public IP and not 127.0.0.1? To check, do netstat -plant | grep PORT-NUMBER.
    2. What command did you use to start minio? Is it installed as a systemd service, and if so, is the service running?
    3. Do you have firewalld on? Either allow the minio port or turn firewalld off.
    Thanked by 1jokjok
  • jokjokjokjok Member
    edited January 2021

@definitelyliam said:

Things to try out:

1. Do you know which port it runs on? Are you sure it's bound to your public IP and not 127.0.0.1? To check, do netstat -plant | grep PORT-NUMBER.
    2. What command did you use to start minio? Is it installed as a systemd service, and if so, is the service running?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I am not a good server admin so I am not sure about your questions.

1. I simply did what was said here: https://docs.min.io
      wget https://dl.min.io/server/minio/release/linux-amd64/minio chmod +x minio ./minio server /data

And I created root user and pw before I ran ./minio. After that executed it and it gave me the endpoint: my_ip:9000 and 127.0.0.1:9000 and it runs I guess? I tried to access with both via browser but no luck. I can't access my ip via browser at all, it never connects.
    Netstat command gave me no answer but If leave out | grep, it shows my local address and at te end it is a :22, the 127.0.0.1:25

1. So maybe I installed wrong? Because I believe it is not running in the background as every time I use SSH, I need to run "./minio server /data" again and enter credentials.

2. I don't know to be honest.

• Ensure that the minio command is running in the background. You can run the command from a screen session or if you're ok with systemd try this.

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • If you're using ./minio server /data, ensure that /data exists. I don't know the exact behavior but it might not run properly if it can't find /data.

Also, ensure that it's running in the background when you try to access it. @saibal has a systemd service link you can use.

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • @jokjok said:

Things to try out:

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I am not a good server admin so I am not sure about your questions.

1. I simply did what was said here: https://docs.min.io
      wget https://dl.min.io/server/minio/release/linux-amd64/minio chmod +x minio ./minio server /data

And I created root user and pw before I ran ./minio. After that executed it and it gave me the endpoint: my_ip:9000 and 127.0.0.1:9000 and it runs I guess? I tried to access with both via browser but no luck. I can't access my ip via browser at all, it never connects.
    Netstat command gave me no answer but If leave out | grep, it shows my local address and at te end it is a :22, the 127.0.0.1:25

1. So maybe I installed wrong? Because I believe it is not running in the background as every time I use SSH, I need to run "./minio server /data" again and enter credentials.

2. I don't know to be honest.

Have you allowed port 9000 through the firewall? ... sorry I don't use iptables so can't tell you the exact command.... in centos the default is for firewalld to be on so this is probably the issue

Chip

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • Yes, the firewalld was the problem. I allowed port 9000 and now it works. Thanks for the support and help. @chip @definitelyliam @saibal

So the only left thing to do is how can I get it to run 24/7 without it shutting down?
    Is that systemd service thing (the link of saibal) what I only need to do?

Are there any other things to configure here to make it s3 compatible?

• Minio is s3 compatible out of the box (the web interface is nice enough too) ... yes the guide i followed set it up as a systemd service so that it starts at boot

Thanked by 1jokjok