Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Run a vm on a vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Run a vm on a vps?

Im running a decent powerful vps with debian 10, but i also want this to double as a workstation with windows. What is the simplest way to fire up a vm on this ? The vps is alreadu running alot of things, i really dont want to break it

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

First, make sure you've got nested virt - if it is then qemu or virt-manager/virsh should be fine.

You should be able to install Proxmox on top if you wanted an easier way to manage, which shouldn't affect anything else you're running (although might be worth checking dependancies/etc of proxmox incase there's conflicts).

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    First, make sure you've got nested virt - if it is then qemu or virt-manager/virsh should be fine.

You should be able to install Proxmox on top if you wanted an easier way to manage, which shouldn't affect anything else you're running (although might be worth checking dependancies/etc of proxmox incase there's conflicts).

I tried this on a similar setup way back. But i guess i can try again

Usually the most difficult thing is doing the install without any output - but you can setup a vnc system for the VM to make this easier. Or if you go down the proxmox route you can just novnc via the web interface.

• Rent a dedi, install Proxmox and run Debian 10 and Windows :smile:

Thanked by 1tjn
  • @marvel said:
    Rent a dedi, install Proxmox and run Debian 10 and Windows :smile:

I dont need a dedi, when i can do the same thing for 10 euro / month or less

• @Barnesanger said:
    Im running a decent powerful vps with debian 10, but i also want this to double as a workstation with windows. What is the simplest way to fire up a vm on this ? The vps is alreadu running alot of things, i really dont want to break it

Depending on what you want to do, as long as nested virt is enabled, running LXC would be the easiest.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Barnesanger said:

@marvel said:

But it's LET - there are times you can get a dedi for as low as $2-$3/month :joy:

Thanked by 2yoursunny WSWD
  • I got proxmox working, having issues with network now. Will update if i figure it out

• @seriesn said:

@Barnesanger said:

Depending on what you want to do, as long as nested virt is enabled, running LXC would be the easiest.

As stated in first post, i want to run a windows vm, not possible in LXC as far as i know? Looks like i got it semi working, uploading my image and stuff to the server now to test

@Barnesanger said: having issues with network now

Are you just doing a NAT setup?

• @Mr_Tom said: Are you just doing a NAT setup?

Yeah, i dont need anything else for this.

Should be straight forward enough - https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration

Add an interface with your NAT address to the host, enable forwarding and add in NAT rules to iptables - then use the address of your nat interface as the gateway in the Windows VM.
    Might be worth checking firewall rules if still having issues.

• I got it working, installing the vm as i write this.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@seriesn said:

@Barnesanger said:

Windows can't run on LXC.

Also you don't need nested virt for LXC as the container shares the same kernel and it doesn't use any CPU virtualization. LXC runs great on any KVM VPS.

• @Daniel15 said:

@seriesn said:

@Barnesanger said:

Windows can't run on LXC.

Also you don't need nested virt for LXC as the container shares the same kernel and it doesn't use any CPU virtualization. LXC runs great on any KVM VPS.

Totally my bad. It has been ages since I have used lxd and can't recall if it needed nested virt. My bad.

Also do apologize for totally skipping the windows bit. Yeap I am a moron.

Thanked by 2Logano Arkas
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited January 2021

LXD has actually been supporting VMs for about a year now, including Windows.

Someone has documented Windows installation process in this (rare) detailed PDF on Github:
    https://github.com/bmullan/Windows-VM-RemoteApp-Configuration-Guide-for-Ubuntu/blob/master/LXD Windows VM and RemoteApp Configuration Guide.pdf

Not tested by me just bookmarked some time ago for later checking. I think having it working with RemoteApp as described is really awesome.

• Of course not all VPS providers would welcome nesting Windows VMs without prior permission (due to licencing/conflicts).

• I think it would be best to create such a VM on PC first, export it as an LXC image and only then migrate it to VPS.

If you give this a chance let me know how it worked for you.

Thanked by 1raynor
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

And then within that VM, run another VM.

Then post your offers.

• Digital Ocean support nested virt, really cool with firecracker to start vm in a vm under 1sec

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Only some hypervisor support this features like Digital Ocean

• @Barnesanger said:
    I got proxmox working, having issues with network now. Will update if i figure it out

use this: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/176870/1keydd-inst-sh-reinstall-your-vps-to-clean-debian-with-just-one-key/p1?new=1

wget -qO- 1keydd.com/inst.sh|bash

and you will get proxmox running on your vps

• Do you think they are still trying to figure it out a year later?

• Necromancerrr....

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Then post your offers.

I am wondering how many levels possible to resell? How about to run multiple level nested VMs, the last level (let’s say 32 level) it can be sold as most secured VM

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@WebProject said:

@raindog308 said:

Then post your offers.

I am wondering how many levels possible to resell? How about to run multiple level nested VMs, the last level (let’s say 32 level) it can be sold as most secured VM

3 Ubuntus nested in VMware Workstation

Thanked by 2matheny WebProject
  • @raindog308 said:

After the third level we get to Limbo VM and it becomes virtually impossible to distinguish guest from host, and the time dilation is so extreme, decades pass in a mere fraction of real-time. Users become old men, filled with regret, waiting to die. Alone.

--
    yeah I’ll see myself out

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@DP said:

@Barnesanger said:

@marvel said:

But it's LET - there are times you can get a dedi for as low as $2-$3/month :joy:

Where do I find this $3 dedi Sir?

• @typicalGtaTG said:

@DP said:

@Barnesanger said:

@marvel said:

Not $3 but close enough $6:
    https://www.kimsufi.com/en/servers.xml

• @WebProject said:

@raindog308 said:

Then post your offers.

I am wondering how many levels possible to resell?

Not exactly the same, but I was running Docker in LXC on a KVM VPS at one point

Thanked by 2yoursunny _MS_
  • typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@Vita said:

@typicalGtaTG said:

@DP said:

@Barnesanger said:

@marvel said:

I've never seen that in stock, I'd love to have one, but it's never in stock.

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2022

@typicalGtaTG said:

@Vita said:

@typicalGtaTG said:

@DP said:

@Barnesanger said:

@marvel said:

I've never seen that in stock, I'd love to have one, but it's never in stock.

Subscribe to one of the checkers: i.e. https://checkservers.ovh/