Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPFS - Will it change the hosting industry
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPFS - Will it change the hosting industry

I read in some other forum ( not related to hosting ) about Brave Browser adding native support for IPFS. Following through the reading I understood IPFS is

"IPFS is a peer-to-peer network and protocol designed to make the web faster, safer, and more open. IPFS upgrades the web to work peer to peer, addressing data by what it is instead of where it’s located on the network, or who is hosting it."

Also I read through https://ipfs.io/ and also how to host a website = https://docs.ipfs.io/how-to/websites-on-ipfs/single-page-website/#install-ipfs-desktop

But the only downside, for now, is it accessible only through ipfs:// protocol and all the browsers have not added support.

So if browsers implement, it might change the dynamics a bit in the hosting industry, atleast for hosting personal websites.

Note: I have not read all the documents yet and I might be missing something. Whatever it is please share your thoughts if any of you have hosted your website using IPFS or used IPFS.

Comments

• For me one major drawback is IPFS is too slow compared with today’s web, especially when browsing less popular sites. It could take loooooooong to load.

• @Kousaka said:
    For me one major drawback is IPFS is too slow compared with today’s web, especially when browsing less popular sites. It could take loooooooong to load.

Yeah I was checking some of the websites on this list. Indeed they take time to load

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipfs/comments/63ev6h/list_of_ipfs_websites/

• @Kousaka said:
    For me one major drawback is IPFS is too slow compared with today’s web, especially when browsing less popular sites. It could take loooooooong to load.

It off course like Torrents, as it is peer to peer, if there are less seeders then the downloading is slow.

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited January 2021

Javascript has already ruined the internet. Every front end written in Angular is memory intensive and slow. We have Gold Medal Olympic runners moving lickety split with greased lightning backends and special Olympics front ends. They have ruined the internet with their bullshit interfaces.

I can't imagine working on a new "protocol" that makes things slower (is this a joke?). I certainly can't imagine using it.

I don't think people really understand how awesome Craigslist is.

This whole project tells me the people at Brave Browser are idiots. Thanks for the warning.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@sidewinder said:
    This whole project tells me the people at Brave Browser are idiots. Thanks for the warning.

There's been a few warning signs already.

• Unfortunately ipfs is slow as hell and eat tons of cpu ...

• pbxpbx Member
    edited January 2021

Could be used not for pages but some some elements of it (large images, PDF files, downloadable files) in that case the fact that it's slower isn't necessarily a problem. Most websites that use IPFS currently rely on big gateways though, so it's not really decentralized.

For it to become widely used, native support in browsers is needed, and with a good implementation that guarantees that content will stay online (i.e. "seeding" even when the page is closed / the document loaded...). This might never happen, and until that's the case, your IPFS node will have to be hosted in a datacenter, anyway...

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited January 2021

of course it's slow. it's the InterPlanetary File System. do you expect it to have low rtt?

it has to travel through the milky way and shit like that.