Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keyboard > Windows Start button
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Keyboard > Windows Start button

defaultdefault Veteran
edited January 2021 in General

This start-menu button from keyboard should be changed. For too long keyboards were dominated by Windows logo on them. It's not like Microsoft produces 90% of all keyboards.

In my opinion the "Windows logo" button from keyboard should state "Start", or "Menu", or have a different standardized icon on them. Keyboards should not be a way to advertise Windows (or some other operating system).

And I don't get any benefit from it, for example if I buy a Windows 10 license, I won't get a 1% discount on all keyboards with Windows button, simply because I advertise Windows whenever I use that specific keyboard.

Comments

• Ok.

Thanked by 2kkrajk BBTN
  • alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

Some historically grown stuff just can‘t be changed. Removing the „Windows“ key would do more harm than good as the majority would not follow the matter that closely and would just be confused about “the missing key”. Even if the icon would only be altered slightly and is still in the exact same spot. I’ve already seen people getting confused when the keyboard states “Control” vs “Ctrl” (or localized versions such as “Strg”); replacing “Windows” with “Menu” would be even worse.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2021

Sue manufacturers instead of making a thread on LET.

Pretty sure I won't buy a keyboard without the Windows key though.

Thanked by 2yoursunny pike
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@default said: This start-menu button from keyboard should be changed. For too long keyboards were dominated by Windows logo on them. It's not like Microsoft produces 90% of all keyboards.

However probably 90% of all keyboards are used with Microsoft Windows.

Manufacturers respond to the market. If Windows didn't exist, there would be no Windows key. People apparently want them. You can certainly buy keyboards without them.

But if you wish, sure, go strike a blow for the freedom of keyboard users everywhere. I suggest some riots, maybe tearing down monuments, etc.

@default said: I advertise Windows whenever I use that specific keyboard.

You poor oppressed man! How long have you suffered with the hob-nailed boot of Microsoft oppression on your neck...

Forget world poverty, climate change, war, or human trafficking. The Windows key is the issue of our times.

BTW, you also advertise for the US Federal Reserve with that dollar sign key. Also Coca-Cola:

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Does anybody ever use those Windows keys? I don't, ever. I could remove them and don't be bothered by it.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@marvel said:
    Does anybody ever use those Windows keys? I don't, ever. I could remove them and don't be bothered by it.

99% of Windows users do I suppose.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @marvel said:
    Does anybody ever use those Windows keys? I don't, ever. I could remove them and don't be bothered by it.

Since it's binned to my xfce terminal I do..quite often.

Thanked by 1default
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@marvel said:

I am sure we never use it. But I do know more than a few around me who press it as soon as their PC boots up.

I asked one why, she said she wanted to see what ads would show.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • There are a lot of tools for boosting your speed without mouse.

For example:

I think all of these tools can dramatically boost your speed without even touching start button.

• I don't any other option than suing the keyboard manufactures to oblivion. Viva la resistance. Remove windows key from your keyboard. 🪟

@sdglhm said:
    I don't any other option than suing the keyboard manufactures to oblivion. Viva la resistance. Remove windows key from your keyboard.

Suing them for...? What?

• @raindog308 said: Suing them for...? What?

Do we really need a proper reason?

@sdglhm said:

@raindog308 said: Suing them for...? What?

Do we really need a proper reason?

Yes, but I realize you’re not serious.

• Windows key is essential for saving space on my taskbar.I just hide the ugly search bar in taskbar and press windows key and start typing the key word. Manually searching for a program is much easier then finding it on a start menu

• @raindog308 said: Yes, but I realize you’re not serious.

I wasn't being serious regarding the suing part. But I'm also curious about the legality of using Windows logo without any permission from M$ on keyboards too.

In all seriousness, there are few manufactures building layouts without windows keys. And including keys with Ubuntu logo, Debian logo etc...

However, to appeal to the mass market, one would need a windows key. Enthusiast will still have to settle with those kind of niche keyboard manufacturers.

If you have a common stem like Cherry, there are custom keycaps which you could buy with windows key removed.

The reason windows key cannot be removed as a whole is due to different key bindings and use cases from customers all around the world. Additionally, operating systems like Ubuntu has some bindings to windows key by default making the matter a bit complicated. If you reference a system 76 keyboard, you'll see the different layout.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2021

@codelock said:
    Windows key is essential for saving space on my taskbar.I just hide the ugly search bar in taskbar and press windows key and start typing the key word. Manually searching for a program is much easier then finding it on a start menu

I find it essential too. I use Linux Mint and that Windows key is also great for opening the taskbar in Linux.

However, the question still stands: why label it with Windows logo after so many years? We have multiple operating systems with desktop nowadays, and it's not like constantly advertising Windows gets something out of that button.

@sdglhm said: But I'm also curious about the legality of using Windows logo without any permission from M$ on keyboards too.

Who says they don't have permission? I'm sure it's cheap or perhaps free to get it. MSFT may even pay a subsidy.

Not exactly the same, but if you put "Intel Inside" on your PC, you get access to Intel marketing dollars. Microsoft may do the same if you put a Microsoft logo on the box.

@default said: However, the question still stands: why label it with Windows logo after so many years? We have multiple operating systems with desktop nowadays, and it's not like constantly advertising Windows gets something out of that button.

Windows market share is still 80%-ish globally. But that number includes laptops...for desktops, it's probably higher since you subtract out Chromebooks, Macs that use Apple-made keyboards, etc. Other operating systems are irrelevant when you're talking about Windows key vs. non-Windows key.

• Homer is still waiting for the "Any" key.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Take off the Windows key cap and 3D-print a Linux key?

@yoursunny said: Take off the Windows key cap and 3D-print a Linux key?

Scrape off the Windows logo and put on a sticker.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Erisa
  • Or... make it all black with a marker, like I did.

• @raindog308 said: Who says they don't have permission? I'm sure it's cheap or perhaps free to get it. MSFT may even pay a subsidy.

Not exactly the same, but if you put "Intel Inside" on your PC, you get access to Intel marketing dollars. Microsoft may do the same if you put a Microsoft logo on the box.

You're right

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-hardware-certification/waiver-to-the-windows-logo-license-agreement-for-hardware/ba-p/364840

• Thanked by 1default
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

I bet we all started noticing Windows button after reading this thread.

Thanked by 2sayem314 default
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@desperand said: - ctrl+~ = open clipboard for paste. Again, save a lot of time.

Windows + V

• @raindog308 said:

@yoursunny said: Take off the Windows key cap and 3D-print a Linux key?

Scrape off the Windows logo and put on a sticker.

Then the scraping is redundant if you're just going to cover it with a sticker.

• @vero said:
    I bet we all started noticing Windows button after reading this thread.

I'm concerned you didn't notice it before and you're a provider.

edited January 2021

@TimboJones said: Then the scraping is redundant if you're just going to cover it with a sticker.

True...but some people's are worked up to such a pitch that they perhaps want the mental solace of knowing that even if the sticker slips, they won't be exposed to this egregious advertising.

Now that I think about it, on some kind of microscopic level, if you press a Windows key with your finger, doesn't that leave some of impression on your finger? I mean, the paint is raised off the plastic, and your finger strikes the key, so perhaps for a brief moment, you have a 1/1,000,000th of a millimeter impression of the Windows logo ON YOUR BODY.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2021

@raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said: Then the scraping is redundant if you're just going to cover it with a sticker.

True...but some people's are worked up to such a pitch that they perhaps want the mental solace of knowing that even if the sticker slips, they won't be exposed to this egregious advertising.

Now that I think about it, on some kind of microscopic level, if you press a Windows key with your finger, doesn't that leave some of impression on your finger? I mean, the paint is raised off the plastic, and your finger strikes the key, so perhaps for a brief moment, you have a 1/1,000,000th of a millimeter impression of the Windows logo ON YOUR BODY.

Only one solution. Cut it off!

Also, when momentarily viewing the key, the logo reflected from your retina and will also need to be cut out.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @TimboJones said:

@raindog308 said:

Only one solution. Cut it off!

Also, when momentarily viewing the key, the logo reflected from your retina and will also need to be cut out.

This Windows button seems to cause multiple issues, way beyond my initial assessment.