Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlmaLinux is born !! ( OS from CloudLinux )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlmaLinux is born !! ( OS from CloudLinux )

XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

AlmaLinux – answering the community need for a CentOS replacement

In December 2020, the community lost one of its most important resources. Red Hat announced that CentOS would no longer be issued as a stable release, instead replaced by the continuously updated CentOS Stream.

At CloudLinux we quickly realized the vast implications of Red Hat’s announcement, so we stepped in to commit to a CentOS replacement: a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL® that is free to use, and open source. We gave it the code name Project Lenix.

Now, we are announcing the results of Project Lenix: AlmaLinux. Due to be released in Q1 2021, the new Linux distribution enables CentOS users to easily switch to a CentOS replacement that enjoys ongoing support.

Switching requires minimal effort: because AlmaLinux is a binary compatible fork of RHEL, the base for CentOS, switching from CentOS to AlmaLinux is extremely simple.

https://blog.cloudlinux.com/almalinux-is-born

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Really proud of what the guys are doing over there at CloudLinux! Igor and his team are impressive.

Thanked by 3Ympker surihost jh
  • is that a distro with systemd. oh well.

• counting days till first release

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2021

Rocky Linux is a community enterprise operating system designed to be 100% bug-for-bug compatible with America's top enterprise Linux distribution now that its downstream partner has shifted direction. It is under intensive development by the community. Rocky Linux is led by Gregory Kurtzer, founder of the CentOS project. There is no ETA for a release.

• @Jona4s said:
    is that a distro with systemd. oh well.

Ppl are still crying over systemd? lol

• LeviLevi Member
    edited January 2021

:) Ltd. making free product... In business there is always secret agenda. Non-the-less, good news for community at least for upcoming decade.

@marvel said: Ppl are still crying over systemd? lol

They mourn for init :(

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

@Jona4s said:

As much as I also dislike systemd, unfortunately I think we will have to suck it up and accept it.

Other init systems had flaws, which we all came to tolerate. It's time to do the same with systemd.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

seems promising, due to the fact being supported by cloudlinux team...

• Really appreciate cloudlinux team

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Looking forward to migrate from CentOS

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Way to go Igor and team! Seems like a new OS to add @ditlev ;)

• @Jona4s said:

It's a clone of RHEL, so why wouldn't it have systemd?

• jhjh Member

Great news! I also hate systemd but that's a problem for another day.

Whatever happened to Scientific Linux? A bunch of hosting companies were offering it a few years ago, now it seems the non-scientific community has lost interest.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2021

The people behind Scientific Linux had decided to discontinue Scientific Linux in favor of CentOS.

It remains to be seen whether they'll reconsider this decision now that CentOS will be discontinued.

Thanked by 1jh
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

A much better name that the name CL originally chose: Lenix, which sounded like the official USSR distro.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2021

Good to see this. I hope CentOS fans will be happy again.

• From their FAQ :

Until when will we support AlmaLinux?:

CloudLinux has committed to supporting AlmaLinux until 2029, including stable and thoroughly tested updates and security patches.

What does that mean ?
    What will happen after 2029 ? bringing out a new version of AlmaLinux?

Its not clear for me, software it self is supported or a particular version till 2029 ?
    I don't see any version number?

• @active8 said:
    From their FAQ :

Until when will we support AlmaLinux?:

CloudLinux has committed to supporting AlmaLinux until 2029, including stable and thoroughly tested updates and security patches.

What does that mean ?
    What will happen after 2029 ? bringing out a new version of AlmaLinux?

Its not clear for me, software it self is supported or a particular version till 2029 ?
    I don't see any version number?

After that you probably will see "almalinux stream" :D .

Joke aside, no one can tell you what will happen after so much time with free product.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    A much better name that the name CL originally chose: Lenix, which sounded like the official USSR distro.

As a person, who lived in USSR for 10 years I can state - there is no resemblance to Soviet symbols or names in my (already affected) mind to Lenix (even though it might seem so). It was way superior name to Alma, which reminds me one meh woman. But the name doesn't matter as long as product is good itself.

@LTniger said:

After that you probably will see "almalinux stream" :D .

CentOS stream might not be the evil to an extent of being unusable, it can be just a gentle push to consider paid option. As gentle as a train can push. I will be using CentOS stream. Along with other distros.

• The word alma means 'apple' in Hungarian

Thanked by 1vero
  • Alma means 'Apple' in most languages. Linky.

Thanked by 2angstrom vero
  • @saibal said:
    Alma means 'Apple' in most languages. Linky.

Indeed :-)

I wonder whether they intended to play with Apple ("AppleLinux")

@angstrom said:

@saibal said:
    Alma means 'Apple' in most languages. Linky.

Indeed :-)

I wonder whether they intended to play with Apple ("AppleLinux")

Wise people doesn't do such things/mistakes accidentally.

• saibalsaibal Member
    edited January 2021

@angstrom said: I wonder whether they intended to play with Apple ("AppleLinux")

They're probably sticking to the root of the name.

According to Wikipedia:
    The name Alma, with its Latin origin, appears in various European languages, and has different meanings in each. These varieties do not generally stray from the notion of the wise, nurturing mother, however.

From almalinux.org:
    Why “Alma”? At CloudLinux, we have benefited from the dedicated, nourishing efforts of the Linux community – just like everyone else that relies on a Linux-powered OS.

This community is the soul of Linux – and in the spirit of a dedicated community, we decided to call our new distribution Alma: a Latin-language word for soul.

Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware
  • @saibal said:

@angstrom said: I wonder whether they intended to play with Apple ("AppleLinux")

They're probably sticking to the root of the name.

According to Wikipedia:
    The name Alma, with its Latin origin, appears in various European languages, and has different meanings in each. These varieties do not generally stray from the notion of the wise, nurturing mother, however.

From almalinux.org:
    Why “Alma”? At CloudLinux, we have benefited from the dedicated, nourishing efforts of the Linux community – just like everyone else that relies on a Linux-powered OS.

This community is the soul of Linux – and in the spirit of a dedicated community, we decided to call our new distribution Alma: a Latin-language word for soul.

All good points :)

I confess that I haven't yet looked at their website!

edited January 2021

I saw this before and it's not convincing. There are other words for "soul". And for sure there are more beautiful words than Alma overall. And why call something non-existent yet as "SoulLinux". Just to copy "Community" from CentOS? Alma won't be CentOS, whether it's good or bad. From now on it's AppleLinux for me. A corporate soul.

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

Really looking forward to giving this a whirl. No word yet on any sort of release date, hopefully get to hear something about that in short order. Igor & co have done particularly well stepping up with this.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Good, Hope that cP/DA will support it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What's with Linux distros...they always pick lame names.

I'm all for replacing CentOS, but these names. AlmaLinux (regardless of what it means). Rocky Linux. Ugh.

@saibal said: These varieties do not generally stray from the notion of the wise, nurturing mother, however.

Anyone who looks at IBM as a nuturing mother should have his head examined.

@saibal said: we decided to call our new distribution Alma: a Latin-language word for soul

The Latin word for soul is animus.

Thanked by 1lentro