Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

› question for you 🤔
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

question for you 🤔

do you:

1) use a free email service such as gmail and a respective [email protected] email

or:

2) use a paid email service with your own custom domain such as [email protected]

or:

3) a mix of both i.e. one business email such as [email protected] and, one personal email such as [email protected]

🤔

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2021

Fucking hell, I just though @deank did open his first thread.

• I'm in type 3, personal things in ProtonMail and academic stuff in my university GSuite. Planning to setup my own mail server using my own domain and iRedMail though.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy

Next question.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I've self hosted email for years. Sending to certain service providers is getting harder and harder though.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy Chronic
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@Neoon said:

I never open threads. Never will.

• @imok said:

Next question.

what color are the undies you have on rn and what do they smell like

• @Neoon said:

Its beyond an avatar its a movement sir

Currently trying to migrate everything from Gmail to selfhosted + alias/forwarder to avoid spam.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • From a branding perspective it is just as important the domain name be seen in the email address as it is on the web page, IMO.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Both, but for gmail I sometimes use the *+* aliasing method.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Please, email your question!

• @SirFoxy said:

@imok said:

Next question.

White. As you are interested in the smell I can send them to you next time I change.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited January 2021

my head starts spinning.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Have you sued your host yet? Do it now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It’s almost as if this was a poll...

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @raindog308 said:
    It’s almost as if this was a poll...

nah polls are wack this is a questionnaire

@SirFoxy said: nah polls are wack this is a questionnaire

Thanked by 2TimboJones lentro
  • @imok said:

@SirFoxy said:

@imok said:

Next question.

White. As you are interested in the smell I can send them to you next time I change.

dont wipe i want the skid marks

though I have third email I usually used to
    signup in forums and online services.

1 ( not exactly 1 ) Gmail for personal email
    1 paid for personal email too
    1 paid for business email

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

I'm trying to move away from gmail, cuz currently i have my own domain, but it aint going that fast
    And i host it on my private VPS

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I use Gmail only. My domain name is in the email address, but it's before the @ sign.

MX record of my domain resolves to Hotmail since 2007, and I have a Windows Live ID on this domain. It's no longer possible to create new accounts on this domain because Windows Live Admin Center has been discontinued.

I bought MXroute this year. I'm waiting for Gmail to deadpool so that I can switch.

• @Pixels said:

Currently trying to migrate everything from Gmail to selfhosted + alias/forwarder to avoid spam.

What the fuck did you do to get so much spam? I've had a catchall on my domain name for over 15 years and grandfathered gmail user since they had that and spam is near zero. To me, moving away from gmail to any other solution will result in more spam and headaches.

@TimboJones said: What the fuck did you do to get so much spam? I've had a catchall on my domain name for over 15 years and grandfathered gmail user since they had that and spam is near zero. To me, moving away from gmail to any other solution will result in more spam and headaches.

I agree - @Pixels that is odd. I've had more main email address for over 20 years and there are a ton of USENET-era posts, FAQs, and other publications that have it, so it's always hoovered up in any address harvesting operation. I used to get a ton of spam, but not since hosting it on Gmail years ago.

The total spam emails in my Gmail spam folder since Jan 1 are less than 150. I'm sure tons is filtered before it even gets that far.

I honestly can't remember the last time I got a genuine spam email in my INBOX.

Very rarely do I see false positives in my spam folder.

Gmail's antispam is very prem.

Thanked by 2Unixfy TimboJones
  • I have a publicly listed domain email address for well.. anything public. Its listed everywhere, everyone knows its me, its tied to my domain so it seems vaguely professional depending who you ask.
    And then I have my gmail/hotmail addresses which are personal and the address is kept private. These are used for communication with people I know irl and anything else relating to my personal life or similar topics. I also have a lot of accounts on these because I don't think putting accounts on a domain email is a good idea but I suppose it depends which ones.

There are other addresses but they're used less often and some don't even need to exist. Which one I choose when signing up depends on how much I trust the site and how much of my information I want to expose them to.

• @Erisa said:
    I have a publicly listed domain email address for well.. anything public. Its listed everywhere, everyone knows its me, its tied to my domain so it seems vaguely professional depending who you ask.
    And then I have my gmail/hotmail addresses which are personal and the address is kept private. These are used for communication with people I know irl and anything else relating to my personal life or similar topics. I also have a lot of accounts on these because I don't think putting accounts on a domain email is a good idea but I suppose it depends which ones.

There are other addresses but they're used less often and some don't even need to exist. Which one I choose when signing up depends on how much I trust the site and how much of my information I want to expose them to.

That's why you use a catchall and then use a unique address per service. Then if you ever get an email on an email address that doesn't match the service (e.g. [email protected]), you know it's spam. Then you can either burn the service down, unsubscribe, report to anti spam, create spam rule, etc.

• @TimboJones said:

@Pixels said:

What the fuck did you do to get so much spam? I've had a catchall on my domain name for over 15 years and grandfathered gmail user since they had that and spam is near zero. To me, moving away from gmail to any other solution will result in more spam and headaches.

Sorry, maybe I should have used some other words. I wanted to reduce the amount of sites that have my "real" email address, and instead giving them an alias so that I can just delete it if it starts becoming a problem.

Pretty much inspired by https://anonaddy.com/ and just an excuse to start using my BF MXroute plan.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Use Gmail for personal. [email protected] for business.