Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What distro do you use on your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What distro do you use on your VPS?

bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
edited January 2021 in General

I have always been an Ubuntu user when it comes to VPSes. Since I've bought a new one for experimentation, I'm looking forward to try another distro and want to know what other people use or what's the popular choice.

Thanked by 2Ganonk merlinvn
---
  1. What distro do you use on your VPS?194 votes
    1. Ubuntu
      34.02%
    2. Debian
      43.81%
    3. CentOS
      16.49%
    4. OpenSUSE
        0.52%
    5. Alpine
        2.06%
    6. Something else (specify in the comments)
        3.09%

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2021

Debian and CentOS are great choices of os

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • Until now, I have used CentOS for most VPS's for website hosting purposes. But since CentOS now is a dead fish, I am looking forward to CloudLinux releases the first version of AlmaLinux.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Debian, thx.

• 1 GB RAM or less I find Debian to be best, above 1 GB I use Ubuntu.

Thanked by 2yoursunny nick_
  • Ubuntu and Debian.

Serious purposes: Debian
    Fun: Ubuntu

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

TempleOS

Thanked by 2raindog308 SirFoxy
  • @kasodk said:
    CentOS now is a dead fish, I am looking forward to CloudLinux releases the first version of AlmaLinux.

Thanks for the update. I researched a bit and seems like there's Oracle Linux which is also a free, repackaged Redhat Linux, any thoughts on that OS?

I know that Oracle is an ass when it comes to licensing issues, but their other free product (Virtualbox) seems well designed and stable.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jamespeach said:
    1 GB RAM or less I find Debian to be best, above 1 GB I use Ubuntu.

I'm similar, but my line is at 512MB.

@jsg said:
    TempleOS

Does it support 64-bit IPv4x2 addresses?

• Work: Debian
    Fun: Windows 98 SE

Thanked by 2lokuzard Ganonk
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Ubuntu on both of my servers, i just know this system commands

• Debian or Devuan, depending on the mood.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@kasodk said:
    CentOS now is a dead fish, I am looking forward to CloudLinux releases the first version of AlmaLinux.

Thanks for the update. I researched a bit and seems like there's Oracle Linux which is also a free, repackaged Redhat Linux, any thoughts on that OS?

I know that Oracle is an ass when it comes to licensing issues, but their other free product (Virtualbox) seems well designed and stable.

Oracle Linux is a good alternative if you are using DirectAdmin as a hosting panel, but cPanel will deny to help you if you run into problems. cPanel has announced that they will support AlmaLinux. They are also working hard to get a production-ready version of cPanel with Ubuntu LTS support ready before centOS 8 reaches end-of-life.

RockyLinux is another interesting project. RockyLinux is led by Gregory Kurtzer, founder of the CentOS project.

• CentOS 7 while waiting for Alma or RockyLinux to come out

• I use ArchLinux where ever I can install a custom ISO. I also have Ubuntu and Debian servers.
    I like ArchLinux because of rolling release and not have to worry about finding and backport some repos to install the latest package on the Debian or Ubuntu. e.g Wireguard, new MySQL, redis etc...
    I haven't faced any issue with ArchLinux for my 6+ servers. Only benefit is that it is running the latest version of packages. pacman FTW. :)

Thanked by 2GeorgeKing BotoX
  • debian

• dominamedominame Member
    edited January 2021

@letrocks said: I use ArchLinux where ever I can install a custom ISO.

I use Arch for desktop, laptop etc. Almost de rigeur for a keen photographer to keep up with open source imaging software - nothing to touch it in the proprietary (expensive) field - and an excellent distro anyway.

It gets fiddly when you need AUR packages, for often very understandable reasons the maintainers often neglect them, so I ditched it for servers a while ago. Currently using CentOS because that's what the hosting offerings such as ClouLinux are based on, and replacements should be available in good time as mooted earlier in the thread.

• agomezagomez Member, Host Rep

CentOS and Debian

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: TempleOS

"Dear provider, do you support custom ISO...?"

@dominame said: Almost de rigeur for a keen photographer to keep up with open source imaging software - nothing to touch it in the proprietary (expensive) field - and an excellent distro anyway.

What do you mean by "imaging software"?

If you mean GIMP...last time I looked at it a couple years ago, it was way behind Photoshop.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:

@jsg said: TempleOS

"Dear provider, do you support custom ISO...?"

No, I do not even talk to providers not offering a TempleOS ISO. They are ungodly.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Debian

• Arch is for fun.

Debian is... ya know

• @jsg said:
    TempleOS

watched a documentary on that dude super smart but insane

• arch, debian, ubuntu, fedora
    But if it’s serious, debian is considered first

• I think I'll try ClearOS this year and get the best performance.

• aptitude family

• Apt & yum

• @letrocks said:
    I use ArchLinux where ever I can install a custom ISO. I also have Ubuntu and Debian servers.
    I like ArchLinux because of rolling release and not have to worry about finding and backport some repos to install the latest package on the Debian or Ubuntu. e.g Wireguard, new MySQL, redis etc...
    I haven't faced any issue with ArchLinux for my 6+ servers. Only benefit is that it is running the latest version of packages. pacman FTW. :)

I used to use Arch on desktop and packages being updated frequently is great on desktop. But, doesn't this tend to break any existing setup you might have, like web apps/tools/scripts that you have on your server?

• Using mostly centos 7 and a few with debian 10

• @letrocks said:
    I use ArchLinux where ever I can install a custom ISO. I also have Ubuntu and Debian servers.

isn't debian testing pretty much a rolling release?

• Debian Bullseye. Breathtakingly powerful.

Kernel kernel kernel.