Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Run a vm with alot of other things on a server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Run a vm with alot of other things on a server

Currently i am running alot of stuff under Debian 10 on my home server, but i suddenly need a windows vm. What is the best / easy way to run this ? I tried running the normal proxmox installer on top of the existing system, but returned a load of errors. The server is currently running rclone, virtualmin (webmin), plex, a few file shares and stuff. I want to keep this bare-metal, and just put a windows vm on top of the existing system without to much trouble.

Advice on best practise here? Or am i doomed, and should install proxmox or vmware bare-metal instead?

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Are you running a GUI on this? If so, just install VirtualBox or virtual machine machine manager to make it easier.

Or just install qemu/virsh/etc and launch the VM that way - https://www.linuxtechi.com/install-configure-kvm-debian-10-buster/ seems to cover most of it (both GUI and command line methods)

• Not running any GUI, but i will look at that link.

Looks like i firgured out why proxmox refused to install, so i might try that first, as i do have some experience in proxmox

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Mr_Tom said:
    Are you running a GUI on this? If so, just install VirtualBox or virtual machine machine manager to make it easier.

VirtualBox doesn't need a GUI - you can control VMs with VBoxManage command, Vagrant script, or a VirtualBox GUI component installed on a remote machine.

However, I'm increasingly unhappy about VirtualBox because it's slow and bugs are not being fixed.
    I hear libvirt is better.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

@yoursunny said: VirtualBox doesn't need a GUI - you can control VMs with VBoxManage command, Vagrant script, or a VirtualBox GUI component installed on a remote machine.

However, I'm increasingly unhappy about VirtualBox because it's slow and bugs are not being fixed.

I hear libvirt is better.

I haven't used VirtualBox for a while to be fair - although qemu/libvirt/etc would be my first choice.