Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for dedicated server in London
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for dedicated server in London

I am from Malaysia, seems London is the best location for me in Europe. (If you know the better location, also acceptable.)
I am using Hetzner currently, price is EUR30, I7-4770 32G 2*256SSD, however,it is in Germany, a bit slower.
I want to find a server in London, similar configuration, same or lower price. 16G is ok, and SSD is must.
Any comment?
Thanks a lot.

Comments

• @Clouvider for London. Pricing you have to check with them.

• @ravepen_xyz said:
    @Clouvider for London. Pricing you have to check with them.

Thanks.
    Just checked their website, almost all from $100...

• swat4swat4 Member
    edited January 2021

@lyessure said:
    I am from Malaysia, seems London is the best location for me in Europe. (If you know the better location, also acceptable.)
    I am using Hetzner currently, price is EUR30, I7-4770 32G 2*256SSD, however,it is in Germany, a bit slower.
    I want to find a server in London, similar configuration, same or lower price. 16G is ok, and SSD is must.
    Any comment?
    Thanks a lot.

Not sure if you would consider VDedi with 100% CPU gurantenee. (Ryzen 3900x)

https://nexusbytes.com/virtual-dedicated-server.html

VDedi-2C would not disappoint you. With yearly payment, you will have 240GB NVMe storage, which will be a sweeping victory over SSD.

@seriesn has a very good reputation and you can rest assured that you are in safe hands.

EDIT: I am also from Asia and using his service in London. Not VDedi as my usage is very light - but the performance already is very impressive. I am sure you will be very satisfied.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

What server is for? As i smell that you actually need NL, but it does cost premium.

• Thank you for your suggestion, I will consider it carefully.
    I used Linode's decicated cpu plan(2 Cores of EPYC 7601) before, but it will get stuck from time to time. Not network latency problem, even their node in Singaport(about 10ms from my place) the same.
    I am using Windows server 2019(rdp) on remote server to handle my daily network mantance work, just only open chrome,ssh.. etc, therefore, the server is under a very light load, but it needs to be very smooth.

@ravepen_xyz said:
    @Clouvider for London. Pricing you have to check with them.

Thanks.
    Just checked their website, almost all from $100...> @swat4 said:

@lyessure said:
    Any comment?
    Thanks a lot.

Not sure if you would consider VDedi with 100% CPU gurantenee. (Ryzen 3900x)

https://nexusbytes.com/virtual-dedicated-server.html

VDedi-2C would not disappoint you. With yearly payment, you will have 240GB NVMe storage, which will be a sweeping victory over SSD.

@seriesn has a very good reputation and you can rest assured that you are in safe hands.

EDIT: I am also from Asia and using his service in London. Not VDedi as my usage is very light - but the performance already is very impressive. I am sure you will be very satisfied.

• NL seems to be not suitable for me. I have tested the connection to NL and the traffic will trasit via UK.

@ThinVps said:
    What server is for? As i smell that you actually need NL, but it does cost premium.

• @lyessure said:
    Just checked their website, almost all from $100...

My apologies if I was being unclear.

Capture

The plan was actually $38.4/month if paid annually :) and the performance will be very nice. I have a VDedi with a lower spec in Germany and it is running as smooth as silk (that one is a Windows RDP, and other vps with the same provider are all in Debian)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @lyessure As I said in my reply I am not sure about the price being matched by providers in London. It is better you open a sales ticket with Cloudvider and check if they can match.

Other provider you can check is oneprovider, not recommended though

• Clouvider are highly recommended but as others have said, they aren’t going to come in at $30 a month especially when they offer much newer hardware and much better network than what you have with Hetzner.

If you want London increase your budget. You can have a look at OVH as well but again unlikely they have anything for $30 a month in London.

There’s also Zare - never used them but again have a look.

Thanked by 2Clouvider hackerman
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You can have a look at the Speedtest as here https://as62240.net/speedtest to see which of our locations would work best for you.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Which ISP in Malaysia btw?

Keep in mind that routes can change and so will latency, from time to time, especially if you're assessing from home/residential broadband.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@lyessure said:
    Any comment?
    Thanks a lot.

Uhm, unless your ISP routes via USA to Europe, France (multiple east-bound submarine cables) and DE_FRA, still THE european IX, are actually faster than UK_LON - but then the couple of ms between the "big 3" in Europe (FRA, AMS, LON) won't make a discernible difference anyway for packets from/to Malaysia, I guess.

Re "Clouvider": I've only heard praise about them but, yes, they are a premium provider and that shows in the price too.

You should be able to find a cheap dedi (or large VDS, NexusBytes / @seriesn and netCup are nice examples) quite easily in Europe if you won't fight over 5 ms network difference.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Thank you for your comment.
    I just tested again, using ping with vultr's test ip:
    108.61.210.117(Frankfurt): 202ms
    108.61.198.102(Amsterdam):191ms
    108.61.196.101(London): 161ms
    108.61.209.127(Paris): 165ms
    Lodon is the best, but only a little better than Paris, both are acceptable.
    NL and DE have the difference over 30ms, they are too slow.

@jsg said:

Uhm, unless your ISP routes via USA to Europe, France (multiple east-bound submarine cables) and DE_FRA, still THE european IX, are actually faster than UK_LON - but then the couple of ms between the "big 3" in Europe (FRA, AMS, LON) won't make a discernible difference anyway for packets from/to Malaysia, I guess.

@lyessure said:
    Thank you for your comment.
    I just tested again, using ping with vultr's test ip:
    108.61.210.117(Frankfurt): 202ms
    108.61.198.102(Amsterdam):191ms
    108.61.196.101(London): 161ms
    108.61.209.127(Paris): 165ms
    Lodon is the best, but only a little better than Paris, both are acceptable.
    NL and DE have the difference over 30ms, they are too slow.

There are quite some good alternatives in France available too.

• I am using TM(Telecom Malaysia) broadband.
    In my observation, the route/fiber from Malaysia to Europe seems land in UK, so UK always is the fastest than other places.

@thedp said:
    Which ISP in Malaysia btw?

Keep in mind that routes can change and so will latency, from time to time, especially if you're assessing from home/residential broadband.

• Will do.
    Thank you very much.

@Clouvider said:
    You can have a look at the Speedtest as here https://as62240.net/speedtest to see which of our locations would work best for you.

• Thank you so much for your suggestion.
    I can accept a reasonable increase in the budget, but it is difficult to accept it if it is increased several times.

@WSCallum said:
    Clouvider are highly recommended but as others have said, they aren’t going to come in at $30 a month especially when they offer much newer hardware and much better network than what you have with Hetzner.

If you want London increase your budget. You can have a look at OVH as well but again unlikely they have anything for $30 a month in London.

There’s also Zare - never used them but again have a look.

• Any recommend in France?
    Thank you.

@jsg said:
    There are quite some good alternatives in France available too.

• swat4swat4 Member
    edited January 2021

I am hosting approximate two dozens of game rooms for a community of gamers on a pro-bono basis. In Europe I have tried - Germany, UK, France, Moldova, Russia, Netherlands and Belgium. Germany, UK, Netherlands and Belgium seem to have the best connection quality to Asia. France and Russia are really so-so I have decided to drop. (Edit: also tried Turkey - despite being nearer geographically, the ping turned out be even worse)

There is a member who is also from Malaysia. I noticed him performing better in London among 3.(but very slight difference)

May I ask why you picked Europe (instead of Asia)?

• I manage many servers in US. From Malaysia to the United States, the ping is basically over 250ms, often even 300-400ms or more, and with packet loss. However, Malaysia to Europe is very stable . So, I chose to log in to the European server first, and then visit the American server.

@swat4 said:
    May I ask why you picked Europe (instead of Asia)?

@lyessure said:
    I manage many servers in US. From Malaysia to the United States, the ping is basically over 250ms, often even 300-400ms or more, and with packet loss. However, Malaysia to Europe is very stable . So, I chose to log in to the European server first, and then visit the American server.

From Malaysia to US, you should only consider servers on the West Coast for best latency, namely California or Seattle.

• For USA, I guess you must have tried Los Angeles/San Jose? From the game experience, players from Malaysia / Singapore / Philippines can keep at sub-200 most of the time.

Packet loss indeed surprises me. I really have not seen that with the existing providers that I am using.

edited January 2021

Sorry, but focusing only or mostly on the "from some (e.g. my home)) place to european host" latency is almost certainly the wrong approach.

If someone from another part of the world is looking for a server in Europe he very highly likely wants to serve a european clientele - so their experience should be major factor too.

The second latency mind trap is seeing only (or mostly) latency. Web site however commonly add way more than network latency. When for example a website adds 500 ms - which is quite common - your main optimization potential is not latency.

For most of Europe (and european users) DE_FRA is the sweet spot, well noted, not because it's 10 ms faster or slower than NL_AMS, UK_LON, or FR_PAR but because it's by far the most and best connected IX in Europe. London, one the other hand, and to some degree AMS also, are the sweet spots for cross Atlantic traffic You can basically see it as an axis with "USA bound" traffic, UK_LON at one end and "Europe bound traffic" at the other end and AMS somewhere in the middle.

We could play those games all day long and bring up, for example, France vs Sweden but there is another decisive point: @OP's budget.

I have done quite many benchmarks at quite many providers, some publicly, some as a service for some providers, and I've seen and tested a bloody lot of networks. The simple truth is: For big $$ you may or may not get great connectivity - but for small $$ you' definitely not get top connectivity.

I brought up hosting in France for a reason. If a south or east asian ISP has half-way decent routing to Europe it'll usually be via submarine cable and the south of France just so happens to have major landing points (usually near Marseilles). Some of the cables go further north, some don't.
    French providers offering dedis and VPS at rates roughly comparable to DE, NL, UK, France would be the place where I'd look for a dedi or VPS with good Asia connectivity, and DE or (to a lesser degree) NL would be where I'd look if I also wanted the best "all of Europe" connectivity. You should be able to find a rich diversity of offers in all 3 countries, ranging from cheap to high end.

Oh, and, @lyessure, so you are hunting for 20 ms less latency TO CONNECT TO A WINDOWS RDP, which is something like the definition of "How to see creepingly low turtle crawling like 'speed' in networking", seriously? Plus, of course, it must be super cheap too. Good luck with that (Hint: I'm certainly not a Hetzner fanboy but man, you should really think again and think hard about staying there).

• Yes, I used Los Angles before.
    From Malaysia to west united state, there is usually 2 routes, MY-HK-JP-US(NTT) or MY-SIN-HK-US(HE.NET). NTT's network is very unstable.During peak hours, the delay greatly increases and packets are frequently lost. Anyway, the geographic distance between Malaysia and the United States(15000km) far exceeds the distance to Europe(10000KM), and I guess Malaysia telecom have a fiber to UK directly.

@swat4 said:
    For USA, I guess you must have tried Los Angeles/San Jose? From the game experience, players from Malaysia / Singapore / Philippines can keep at sub-200 most of the time.

Packet loss indeed surprises me. I really have not seen that with the existing providers that I am using.

• Thanks for comment.
    From Malaysia to US, the traffic will pass through Pacific fiber cable, I guess, because of huge traffic from China, it will jam time to time.
    However, from Malaysia to Europe, and Europe to US, it is always very smoothly. Maybe it will cause a bit higher(20-30ms) latency, no packet lost is the most important.

@thedp said:
    From Malaysia to US, you should only consider servers on the West Coast for best latency, namely California or Seattle.

• Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.
    I don't know much about European Internet topology. I will read and understand your article carefully later.
    I am not looking for a European server to provide services to the public, but only to use it for office work purposes. (Manage my servers in the United States). So, all I need is the speed of my home to get there. I use RDP to connect to EU server and then ssh to US servers. In my experience, rdp less than 180ms is very smooth, but there must be no packet loss, etc. This is the reason why I do not directly connect to the United States.

@jsg said:
    Sorry, but focusing only or mostly on the "from some (e.g. my home)) place to european host" latency is almost certainly the wrong approach.

If someone from another part of the world is looking for a server in Europe he very highly likely wants to serve a european clientele - so their experience should be major factor too.

The second latency mind trap is seeing only (or mostly) latency. Web site however commonly add way more than network latency. When for example a website adds 500 ms - which is quite common - your main optimization potential is not latency.

• @lyessure said:
    Any comment?
    Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot for the mention fam @swat4 and @jsg

@lyessure any specific reason why you would like to be within Europe or states?

Our Singapore location should offer decent connectivity to MY :). (http://lgsg.NexusBytes.com)

• The route from Malaysia to Singapore is a stranger problem even than UFO. :( Most of the time, the ping value is between 10-30ms, but unfortunately, sometimes it can be as high as 200ms and drop half of the packets and keep a whole day.
    To the United States is too far away, and the route has too much uncertainty.
    In Hong Kong, because of CCP....
    In East Asia(Japan and Korea) is not stable enough.
    In south Asia(India etc.), HAHA, that is a joke.
    Therefore, Europe is almose my only choice.

@seriesn said:
    @lyessure any specific reason why you would like to be within Europe or states?

Our Singapore location should offer decent connectivity to MY :). (http://lgsg.NexusBytes.com)

Take my advice, pick a host that has services in SG, e.g. NexusBytes, and take off from SG to wherever you wish - in other words, use it as your jump server.

It should be more consistent and stable between MY & SG, and from SG onwards, connectivity/latency should be better as well, at least compared to Malaysian home broadband.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Thank you. I will consider your suggestion carefully.

@thedp said:
    Take my advice, pick a host that has services in SG, e.g. NexusBytes, and take off from SG to wherever you wish - in other words, use it as your jump server.

It should be more consistent and stable between MY & SG, and from SG onwards, connectivity/latency should be better as well, at least compared to Malaysian home broadband.