Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Ping and Loss Problem - Game Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Ping and Loss Problem - Game Server

sezingsezing Member, Host Rep

Hi,

We rent an EX62-NVME dedicated server for our Minecraft and rust game server. Players join the server but some of them facing connection loss problem. We have been using auctions server and didn't face any issue before.

We talked with hetzner support and send some network diagnostics' reports to them from server to client and client to server.

They couldn't find any issue.

I found forum topics about the same issue but no answers.

We use proxmox and I thought could be my installation problem but everything works other than game servers.

Does anyone have the same problem?

What should I do?

Comments

• Just a simple question, but why creating Proxmox VMs to create game server?
    Solutions like Pterodactyl or TCAdmin could help you.

In some case, virtualized networks can slow down your connectivity.

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

Connection loss problem = TCP? Or are you seeing dropped packets on the NIC?

If you want real help you need to provide us with far more details, e. g. the interface/NIC counters, drivers / parameters used, IRQ/steering options etc.

Also be as specific as possible regarding the issue, e. g.:

• is it packet drops or
    • CRC errors?
    • is it TCP or UDP or ICMP you are seeing problems
    • as the previous poster said, why are you using virtualization? Again settings, parameters etc. used
    • can you post an MTR?

Normally Hetzner would see errors on the switchport you are connected to, so if Hetzner confirmed that there are no issues on their side, I would verify everything on the server first.

• One thing to note is Hetzners network to NA & SA isn't very good, that might be the issue. Maybe try @Clouvider or @Zare if you serve both EU & NA.

Thanked by 2Zare Clouvider
  • agomezagomez Member, Host Rep

Hi,

but does it happen randomly? or with a specific isp?

• sezingsezing Member, Host Rep

@Tejy said:
    Just a simple question, but why creating Proxmox VMs to create game server?
    Solutions like Pterodactyl or TCAdmin could help you.

In some case, virtualized networks can slow down your connectivity.

Yes, we use Pterodactyl too.

We have many users so they want VMs or Game panel. Thu, we can't use single machine for one user.

edited January 2021

@agomez said:
    Hi,

but does it happen randomly? or with a specific isp?

It happens randomly. ISP or Country doesn't matter

@tomazu said:
    Connection loss problem = TCP? Or are you seeing dropped packets on the NIC?

If you want real help you need to provide us with far more details, e. g. the interface/NIC counters, drivers / parameters used, IRQ/steering options etc.

Also be as specific as possible regarding the issue, e. g.:

• is it packet drops or
    • CRC errors?
    • is it TCP or UDP or ICMP you are seeing problems
    • as the previous poster said, why are you using virtualization? Again settings, parameters etc. used
    • can you post an MTR?

Normally Hetzner would see errors on the switchport you are connected to, so if Hetzner confirmed that there are no issues on their side, I would verify everything on the server first.

Thank you for such a detailed reply.

It is a packet loss. Users experience ping increase randomly. For example, Their gameplay stops while playing. Both TCP & UDP have a problem because of some game use only UDP and others use both.

How can find my MTR ?

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

You can test latency in our LON/AMS locations via our trace tool. Maybe it might work for you? https://trace.zare.com

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

How can find my MTR ?

On Windows - WinMTR on Linux it’s simply mtr. You may need to install it. Your operator will need the test performed both ways and on a high count.

@Zare said:
    You can test latency in our LON/AMS locations via our trace tool. Maybe it might work for you? https://trace.zare.com

I know your services but it is pricey for us because of the currency difference.

@Clouvider said:

How can find my MTR ?

On Windows - WinMTR on Linux it’s simply mtr. You may need to install it. Your operator will need the test performed both ways and on a high count.

1-Server-to-client.txt
    https://0bin.net/paste/Q59IwA5y#nWvKvYKpciWZlm0TYEN0PGf9XHJZolJ26mTI82NMGDN

2-Server-to-client.txt
    https://0bin.net/paste/Ud2M8qmb#WHnIx4nM9sTbVe+3m7Am58hbVmvpZ4zp6kiDt-wmyME

others:
    2-Client-to-server
    https://output.jsbin.com/maduqafine/1
    1-Client-to-server
    https://output.jsbin.com/kusitukevo

• Could it be Hetzners protection kicking in? What I would say is if you’ve already contacted them and they can’t see an issue you’ve probably not got much hope of anything being fixed unless you can solidly prove there’s an issue on their end, even then you might just get ‘theres nothing we can do’ or they’ll forward it on, but don’t expect it to get fixed overnight, if at all.

Hetzner is a budget provider, budget providers really aren’t the way to go when it comes to gaming. OVH are definitely a better choice with their customised game protection but they are more costly than Hetzner.

Increase your budget and move on or put up with what you’re paying for, is what I would say.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@sezing I forgot to add; you need to take these MTRs exactly at the time the issue is appearing to catch the culprit

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

Could you please do and post an MTR from the server to lg.muc.webhosting24.com (IPv4: 194.39.205.4)? This should go either directly Falkenstein -> Nuremberg -> Munich or via DeCIX and any packetloss inside Hetzner's network should be apparent there. Also latency /roundtrips should be within 10-12ms.

From the MTRs posted so far, the packet loss seems to be outside Hetzner's network / sphere of control, but please do the test above and we'll see from there.

Are you seeing any particular spikes of traffic in the form of high pps to specific ports when the problem occurs?