Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvz and public ip's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvz and public ip's

Hi,

I've recently got a new dedicated server and I've got 2 ipv4 with it. Now the first one comes with the server. But I want to put 2 VM's on it each with their own ip. Does it make sense or is it possible to do that with only 2 ips? I'm planning on using Openvz to setup 2 VM's on the machine.

Comments

• Not possible, you need separate IP's for each VM. In this case you can only have one VM.

• Could you not grab a IPv6 and set it on the host and use the two IPv4 for the VMs? Just curious as most providers will give you a free IPv6 for free some even give out blocks..

• I was thinkin> @ATHK said:

Could you not grab a IPv6 and set it on the host and use the two IPv4 for the VMs? Just curious as most providers will give you a free IPv6 for free some even give out blocks..

I was thinking of doing exactly this since I think I get some ipv6's with it. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?

• Is there even any ipv6 enabled repo's for linux? tried to use ipv6 only in proxmox what I noticed was you need ipv4 for the console and to download templates.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@sc754 said:
    I was thinkin> ATHK said:
    I was thinking of doing exactly this since I think I get some ipv6's with it. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?

It's not. You need an active ipv4 connection on the node for ipv4 traffic to be forwarded over.

• You'll only be able to have one VM on your server.

• Alternatively I could forward all the traffic and setup a local ip. Looks like that's my only option then.

• Ahh well at least that answered my question that's guys.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

@sc754 said:
    Alternatively I could forward all the traffic and setup a local ip. Looks like that's my only option then.

@sc754 that is correct. You can use PAT (port address trans.) one VPS can use the dedicated IPv4 (the additional one), while the other one can use the node's IP address and you can forward the ports to the VPS's internal IP/Port combo.

If you do not want to go through the hassle of setting it up, you can pay $1-3/month for additional ipv4.

It works :)

• Yes it is possible, actually you can have as many vm's as you want with single public IPv4.
    Just assign local IP's to vm's and forward traffic from public IP to local IP, you can use iptables for that, or if you want to forward traffic for specific service on VM you can setup nginx proxy on host node and proxy traffic from public IP to local IP, at least that is how I do it on my server.

• Hi @sc754,

If you are limited to only few IP addresses your best bet is to setup NAT where specific ports go into different containers.

Consult https://openvz.org/Using_NAT_for_container_with_private_IPs on how to do so.

As other have mentioned, this is the perfect opportunity to make use of IPv6.

Let us know how it works out!

• @FiberVM said:
    Hi sc754,

If you are limited to only few IP addresses your best bet is to setup NAT where specific ports go into different containers.

Consult https://openvz.org/Using_NAT_for_container_with_private_IPs on how to do so.

As other have mentioned, this is the perfect opportunity to make use of IPv6.

Let us know how it works out!

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look