Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN Justification
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN Justification

Hello Guys,

I am going to buy a dedicated server soon and I would like to ask you guys how ARIN Justification works . I wanted to buy some ips more and it says while the server configuration that a ARIN Justification is needed . So how I can get it ? Must I send ARIN a form or something ?

Thank You !

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

You usually put it in the order notes or the provider will contact you

• your DC of your preference will give you the form and you will have to complete it, putting
    the reason behind your need.

That's mostly what you should do, maybe other people has some extra inputs.

Be sure to put good reasons :D !

• dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited November 2013

You need to give either unique email addresses or domain names for 25% of the subnet you're requesting. For example, if you are requesting a /27(30 IP's), you have to give unique email addresses/domains for 8 of them. You also need to include reasons, for example HTTP/DNS/VPS.

• Okay, Thank You ! It helped me a lot .

• SSL mostly helps.

• I prefer IPs for VPS use

• Do note that ARIN might ask for more than just e-mail addresses and domains if your resource pool grows bigger over time.

@ultimatehostings said:
    SSL mostly helps.

Lying to your upstream is a really bad idea.

• Not encouraging the OP to just was a suggestion and a valid reason.

• FiberVMFiberVM Member
    edited November 2013

@ultimatehostings said:
    Not encouraging the OP to just was a suggestion and a valid reason.

Hi @ultimatehostings,

My apologies, I was not trying to accuse you of encouraging something bad because a lot of people use this justification and you probably merely heard it from others too.

It is however technically not a valid reason when https doesn't even listen on all of those IPs, risking your credibility towards ARIN.

In my opinion every suggestion is important, good or bad. I just want to make it clear it is often (thus not always) a bad idea to be dishonest about such thing. Everyone has his reasons and you may have just helped someone out. So again, don't feel offended, every contribution counts!

• Agreed and not being offended at all by your comments. :)

• @duyan13 - just be honest in your justification and you'll be fine. For example it is acceptable to partition a physical server in to several virtual private servers and request a public IP for each one of them. A /27 subnet should be plenty for that, even a /28 or /29 depending on your resources.

• I am using it for hosting some vps for friends . Thank You !