Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spam Filtering
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spam Filtering

trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
edited January 2021 in Tutorials

What software do you use for spam filtering?

I have some sites with web forms that still use ReCaptcha v2 which appears to be for the most part defeated. Also other basic text to image Captchas appear to be defeated as well. Eventually I will move to ReCaptcha v3. For now as I get spam messages I block the originating ip address (which could be problematic for some but ok for my use case). However it seems to be a distributed attack where bots are constantly filling out the forms and defeating the captcha from multiple ip addresses.

Is there any FOSS software that can be used to block known offending ip addresses, maybe even show them a message stating the reason they were banned and allow them to ask to be unbanned. Maybe the software downloads a list of misbehaving ip addresses every so often and shares its own misbehaving addresses so they are publicly known. I'm hoping to do this at the VPS level.

I understand some IoT device like a camera could be hacked and become part of a botnet and be sending unsolicited email all over the place while legitimate traffic could still be coming from that ip. I use fail2ban and csf but they cant stop form spam AFAIK.

What exists out there that does this?

Comments

• CleanTalk is low cost and pretty effective.
    https://cleantalk.org

• The answer to this seems to be /etc/csf/csf.blocklists

They are a few bad ip databases that are updated periodically that you can enable filtering on.

Something like abuseipdb.com have an API key that you can integrate into csf.blocklists.

• You can use greylisting to block spam mail sent by botnets.

• @chihcherng said:
    You can use greylisting to block spam mail sent by botnets.

abuseipdb.com does what you do in your signature.